Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

Big can of worms again , but sorry got to ask

I have a epson R300 printer and well happy with it. But a mate wants a new printer and PC World near where I live does not have any in stock.

What printer would you recommended which has photo output and does DVD/CD direct printing like the epson R300 does.

I have looked at the HP photosmart 8450 but seems alot for the carts and they dont do copy carts on the bay

·
Registered
674 Posts
Epson lead the way with Photo printing, HP are no where near them on quality...

Ive heard that HP are more expensive on ink then Epson too, but as someone who has only ever had Epson I cant comment. I also used to work for Epson, so my ink was always much cheaper!! [;)]

R320 is a great unit for the money! Shop around on the internet though for the best price - PCW are a joke!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have recently got the Canon Pixma 4000R and it is a great printer. It
can print onto cd's. Has built in wireless networking. It uses 5
cartridges 3 colour, one balck for colour printing and one for text. It
also warns you when the ink is running low, and actually stops before
it prints if the ink has actually run out.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
This is where I start to rant!

Basically HP are wayyyyy above Epson in terms of build quality etc

As for what you want, I don't know of a HP that prints directly to CD's basically because I haven't researched it!

What I do know, and coolcurly, if honest will back me up on this is epsons are NOT a great printer. Yes sure, they do what they say they will do etc. Everyone talks about them being cheaper to run, but they are not factoring in the fact that they are using cheap ink cartridge copies. The reason these are so cheap is because of poor quality inks and also, epsons do not have a head attached to the cartridges, they are just ink tanks. So the heads you get in an epson are there for the lifetime of the printer, the heads on a HP come with every cartridge, or, on the higher end models, have seperate heads and cartridges.

Epsons have their maximum work life set out. It works by counting the number of ink droplets which go through a tube whenever the printer is turned on or cleaned. This tube carries the ink to the back of the printer into a sponge. When x number ofdroplets have gone through the tube, the printer will just stop working. There is NO warning and you will need to either send it back to epson who charge you about 50 quid for the privilidge or do it yourself and risk fire/ink flooding.

The ink cartridges in a HP are not that much more expensive than an Epson. The only time it becomes less expensive is when you buy the cheap 99p carts, or which you will need 8, so 8 quid per set of carts. BUT, if your printing a picture to go on your wall, with these cheap carts, then be ready to be sorely dissapointed when either the picture gets wet through moisture or it starts to fade VERY quickly. Use epson genuine cartridgesand you won't get the same problem.

I would say go with HP's every single time. Failing that, try a canon with seperate ink tanks and heads. Epson would be my last printer that I went for unless I wanted something really cheap to run that I could print out stuff that's just going to go in the bin next week.

As for buying an R300 or an R320 now with all those capabilities and then buying crappy cheap cartridges for it, your shooting yourself in the foot. Does NOT work out any cheaper in the long run. Especially when you factor in a service. My R200 lasted about 2000 sheets before it needed a service, I was printing brochures off so I know it lasted around 2000 sheets as thats all I bought it for. My HP 5150 has done over 16,000 sheets and has never given me one single problem. The epson was chucked in the bin ages ago! The HP was bought about a year before the epson, and its still sitting here!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Oh and just to add, out of one 17ml colour cartridge I got 190 FULL colour A4 sheets the other day, cartridge cost me 9.49 

·
Registered
521 Posts
remember that HP carts also have the print head in them so that gets changed with every cart, whereas (unless they have chaged it recently) the Epson ones don't, so if they get clogged up, that's it folks!

HP everytime now, used to be an Epson person, but not anymore. HP just go on and on and on...........and on....! get the point.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
canon ip3000 - cheaper cartridges - they are v good printers
remember to check pcworld.co.uk

instore prices are insane - you be suprised with the online prices - the best thing is u can collect at store - so online prices, so long as u pick it up from your local pcworld!!
example - hp 56 cartridge - 16.99 instore - 7.99 collect at store!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
canon ip3000 - cheaper cartridges - they are v good printers
remember to check pcworld.co.uk

instore prices are insane - you be suprised with the online prices - the best thing is u can collect at store - so online prices, so long as u pick it up from your local pcworld!!
example - hp 56 cartridge - 16.99 instore - 7.99 collect at store!
It's 9.38 excl delivery online for the HP 56! Where you getting the 7.99 from!?

Like John Wintle says, HP's seem to go on and on. The only HP's I wouldnt reccomened are the cheap ones. Spend over ?60 on a HP and you should get a decent printer. We've got an HP Businessjet at work, BusinessJet2200, on over 160k pages now. I don't think theres an epson that could even touch that. The HP has not had one single problem, though it sometimes now takes 2 attempts to grab some paper! That can be sorted though on HP's by replacing rollers and paper feeds etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've used Epson printers for the last four years (Epson 680 and still using an 830) and the only original cartridges i have used are the free ones that came with the printers when new. I cant say i've had any problems with using cheaper compatibles (was using 2 pairs per week for over 2 years). Sure you have to run the Head Cleaning Utility if you dont use it often but it was the same with the orignials. Each to their own though.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've never had an issue with an Epson printer until I broke my last one
by dropping it. I've had an HP since and find the cartridges much more
expensive. The print quality is no better than my Epson was and I only
use original cartridges.

If Epson are so bad why do their printers win so many awards?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Epsons are good printers if you use original cartridges its only when you use compatibles that you start to get some problems.

That said i've got 5 C44/C46 Epsons 'out in the field' and only run them on compatibles which cost me under a quid each and they have had no problems with clogging heads etc.

I had major problems with a discontinued model the C82 which when ran on compatibles it would kill it after a few week

·
Registered
674 Posts

As for what you want, I don't know of a HP that prints directly to CD's basically because I haven't researched it!

What I do know, and coolcurly, if honest will back me up on this is epsons are NOT a great printer. Yes sure, they do what they say they will do etc. Everyone talks about them being cheaper to run, but they are not factoring in the fact that they are using cheap ink cartridge copies. The reason these are so cheap is because of poor quality inks and also, epsons do not have a head attached to the cartridges, they are just ink tanks. So the heads you get in an epson are there for the lifetime of the printer, the heads on a HP come with every cartridge, or, on the higher end models, have seperate heads and cartridges.

Epsons have their maximum work life set out. It works by counting the number of ink droplets which go through a tube whenever the printer is turned on or cleaned. This tube carries the ink to the back of the printer into a sponge. When x number ofdroplets have gone through the tube, the printer will just stop working. There is NO warning and you will need to either send it back to epson who charge you about 50 quid for the privilidge or do it yourself and risk fire/ink flooding.

The ink cartridges in a HP are not that much more expensive than an Epson. The only time it becomes less expensive is when you buy the cheap 99p carts, or which you will need 8, so 8 quid per set of carts. BUT, if your printing a picture to go on your wall, with these cheap carts, then be ready to be sorely dissapointed when either the picture gets wet through moisture or it starts to fade VERY quickly. Use epson genuine cartridgesand you won't get the same problem.

I would say go with HP's every single time. Failing that, try a canon with seperate ink tanks and heads. Epson would be my last printer that I went for unless I wanted something really cheap to run that I could print out stuff that's just going to go in the bin next week.

As for buying an R300 or an R320 now with all those capabilities and then buying crappy cheap cartridges for it, your shooting yourself in the foot. Does NOT work out any cheaper in the long run. Especially when you factor in a service. My R200 lasted about 2000 sheets before it needed a service, I was printing brochures off so I know it lasted around 2000 sheets as thats all I bought it for. My HP 5150 has done over 16,000 sheets and has never given me one single problem. The epson was chucked in the bin ages ago! The HP was bought about a year before the epson, and its still sitting here!
Im going to answer this with my knowlegdge head on - and Im being truthfull.

Epson built and own the worlds largest and most technically advanced Ink Manufacturing plant in the world. I dont want to bore you, but it is the largest dust free area anywhere in the world and the water used to manufacturer the inks is cleaned over and over until its ready to be used. Manufacturers do not make any money on the actual printers, we all know this - but they claw that money back from selling the ink. Epson design their print heads to work with THEIR ink. If you try and save money by using cheap ink from a number of outlets, the manufacturing will be of a lower standard, and the quality of the image will be reduced. Not only that but you will be damaging your print heads too.

Now, HP. Where do you want me to start. HP actually manufacturer NO printers. HP are the worlds Largest OEM. It is fact that HP's running costs on a like for like printer are 22% higher. (and thats not factoring in the paper). Ive got 2 printers on my desk right now - one is a HP Photosmart 8250 (around ?135 + VAT) and an Epson Stylus Photo R320 (around ?112 + VAT). Im actually using both to print aload of press photos and Im using original ink in both. The images to the normal eye (Ive just asked 4 of my guys to pick from 2 photos the better one) and they all struggled. I then asked my photographer to choose and he picked the Epson for clarity of colour. Even he said he used Epson at home for his professional photos (R2400 which is more of a photo lab then a printer) as he does alot of Weddings etc......

At the end of the day, its personal choice and personal preference. I have a HP Laserjet in the office and Im more then happy with it. If people all had the same preferences we would all be driving golfs!!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Im going to answer this with my knowlegdge head on - and Im being truthfull.

Epson built and own the worlds largest and most technically advanced Ink Manufacturing plant in the world. I dont want to bore you, but it is the largest dust free area anywhere in the world and the water used to manufacturer the inks is cleaned over and over until its ready to be used. Manufacturers do not make any money on the actual printers, we all know this - but they claw that money back from selling the ink. Epson design their print heads to work with THEIR ink. If you try and save money by using cheap ink from a number of outlets, the manufacturing will be of a lower standard, and the quality of the image will be reduced. Not only that but you will be damaging your print heads too.

Now, HP. Where do you want me to start. HP actually manufacturer NO printers. HP are the worlds Largest OEM. It is fact that HP's running costs on a like for like printer are 22% higher. (and thats not factoring in the paper). Ive got 2 printers on my desk right now - one is a HP Photosmart 8250 (around ?135 + VAT) and an Epson Stylus Photo R320 (around ?112 + VAT). Im actually using both to print aload of press photos and Im using original ink in both. The images to the normal eye (Ive just asked 4 of my guys to pick from 2 photos the better one) and they all struggled. I then asked my photographer to choose and he picked the Epson for clarity of colour. Even he said he used Epson at home for his professional photos (R2400 which is more of a photo lab then a printer) as he does alot of Weddings etc......

At the end of the day, its personal choice and personal preference. I have a HP Laserjet in the office and Im more then happy with it. If people all had the same preferences we would all be driving golfs!!!!
Thanks for that...great work.

So I have a R300 which is basically the R320 without the LCD monitor. I was looking at the HP 8250 but from your review I wouldnt see any better output from the R300. But the epson does have the direct CD/DVD printing which I take it the HP doesnt have.

So ok I use copy ink and damage the printer, but at ?70 I'll take the gamble and if so replace it.

But what is it with the HP 8250 print system. Is this any good? Can you use copy ink with this system?

I dont mind paying ?50 plus for ink if its going to last. My problem with older HP photosmart printers was the ink going dry when half the cart was still full

·
Registered
674 Posts
It depends on what you are printing to how much ink you are going to use. Both of these printers have the 6 sep ink tanks and after a few months you will realise which colour is used the most.

One little trick that I found was not to clean the heads that ofiten. This actually blasts YOUR ink though which helps them sell more ink/make more money!!

Trust me, dont use the copy ink - its not worth it in the long run. Do you put cheap oil in your car? Do you put Re-moulds on the wheels? No you probably dont - its the same thing! The printer will last longer if you dont put that cack through the heads. Plus if you want quality, you get better quality with original ink!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts