Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but I wanted let you guys know that I am returning my brand new (2 week old) Eos TDI Sport to the dealer. It's a very long story and until I have some feedback from VW/the dealer I don't want to go into details but will post again when I can as I don't want to give half the story.

Suffice to say I am gutted but have accepted an offer of full refund, although I fully expect to be re-ordering the same car soon.

Can anyone tell me if there are any changes to the Eos for the 2007 model year ? I appreciate it's a brand new car but there are usually one or two tweaks made every Septeber or thereabouts if my previous VW experience is accurate. Also, does anyone think that the 170PS TDI (as now fitted to the Golf) will be made available in the Eos ?

Cheers

PJG

·
Registered
566 Posts
Apologies if this is the wrong forum

Also, does anyone think that the 170PS TDI (as now fitted to the Golf) will be made available in the Eos ?

Cheers

PJG
Not the wrong forum! Be interesting to hear what your story is. I would also think that it be quite natural for VW to have the 170PS TDI engine inserted into the EOS as this car is available with the 2.0T petrol so to balance it out they would need a performance diesel too.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Suffice to say I am gutted but have accepted an offer of full refund, although I fully expect to be re-ordering the same car soon.
Can you not get the dealer to take back the car, order you another (to a different spec if you wish) and have them provide a loan car (at their expense) while you wait on the replacement?

This is what happened with me when I rejected my first Golf.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments guys.

The car goes back on Monday. I'm keen to know what VW are going to say about the fault I have identified before I "go public" with what happened - I think that's only fair. If they don't play ball, then I'll tell anyone who'll listen not only on this forum but also the mainstream magazines and newspaper motoring pages. What I can say is that the roof mechanism appears to work very well - and it does stop people in the street, believe me.

As for getting a loan car, yes I'd have asked for that if I'd been ordering a new one immediately but I won't be doing that just yet - I might try to get them to agree when I go in on Monday that they'll give me a car after I've re-ordered.

Whislt I'm on - one change I might make is to a DSG gearbox. I've found the manual stalls too easily at low revs and I think i would take ages to get used to it. Any of you MkV Golf TDI 140 owners have a DSG box ? How do you find it mated to that engine ? My neighbour is waiting for his GTI DSG to arrive but I guess that would be a different animal and wouldn't be much of a guide.

Thanks

PJG

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Very surprised for Arnold's to be so willing to refund you.  Good job it was Kilmarnock Road and not Crow Road, as you would get nothing from them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but I wanted let you guys know that I am returning my brand new (2 week old) Eos TDI Sport to the dealer. It's a very long story and until I have some feedback from VW/the dealer I don't want to go into details but will post again when I can as I don't want to give half the story.

Can anyone tell me if there are any changes to the Eos for the 2007 model year ? I appreciate it's a brand new car but there are usually one or two tweaks made every Septeber or thereabouts if my previous VW experience is accurate. Also, does anyone think that the 170PS TDI (as now fitted to the Golf) will be made available in the Eos ?

Cheers

PJG
There's nowt so queer as folk, or cars so it would seem!! Why post if you can't give us even an inkling as to the trouble?

[:|]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there are any changes to the Eos for the 2007 model year ?
These cars are 2007 model year - the 'changes' usually come in at about build week 22 (June) so there will not be anything happening for another ten months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there are any changes to the Eos for the 2007 model year ?
These cars are 2007 model year - the 'changes' usually come in at about build week 22 (June) so there will not be anything happening for another ten months.
2007 model year SPORT models have darkened rear lenses and stereo buttons are now silver, if you do decide to switch to DSG beware that estimated build weeks for DSG TDI is 40 something, basically you wouldnt see car til early next year.

Been 2 reaclls as far as i know on EOS so far

1, to do with roof alignment

2 something to do with EGR valve and poor running althouhg i think this only affects 2.0T engine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There have been lots of issues of 'stuttering' with the PD130 BLT engine in Fabia's, fault traced to the EGR and awaiting a fix. Is your's an engine problem?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Whislt I'm on - one change I might make is to a DSG gearbox. I've found the manual stalls too easily at low revs and I think i would take ages to get used to it. Any of you MkV Golf TDI 140 owners have a DSG box ? How do you find it mated to that engine ? My neighbour is waiting for his GTI DSG to arrive but I guess that would be a different animal and wouldn't be much of a guide.

Thanks

PJG
I have an Audi A3 with DSG and it suits the engine very well. Although the DSG does take a while to get used to tho' It's very good but not perfect. If you want any more info let me know.

J.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting........thanks guys.

Jase1 - where did you get details of the Eos recalls ? I've not heard anything from VW and I've had the car since late July. I'd be interested to know more, particularly regarding the roof - see below !!

Since I have it in writing now that I'll get a refund (I'm a cautious Glasgow lawyer) I can safely tell you that the fault in my car is that when it rains and you open the door water POURS from the roof into the footwell and seat. You need to "run the gauntlet" of the water to get in. It's worse when you open after a heavy shower because more water has gathered on the roof. It just doesn't seem to be channeled away as you'd expect. The rubber seals are slightly out of alignment on one side but I can't see that being the cause because the water problem affects both sides.

Bizarrely though, the refund is being offered because the car arrived with the wrong radio/speakers - long story but dealer failed to change order form and so the car has only 4 speakers (none in rear). They have not admitted that the water problem is a design fault -"that's just the way it's built" is what they said - and that is not the reason for the refund.

Anyway, if there has been a recall to do with the roof, hopefully that will fix the problem and my new one will be fine.

Any more comments welcome, as I am due to meet the dealer on Monday morning to hand it back and get my cash. I'd like to be armed with as much info as poss.

Thanks for info regarding build period on DSG.

Cheers

PJG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does the water flow in when the car is parked on a slight incline?

If so, this happens with the Golf also!

And why do you want another one - will it not have exactly the same issue?

·
Registered
442 Posts

Thanks

PJG
I have a Golf 140 with DSG. It is quite good but depending on the type of driving you do. It will take sometime to get used to the gearbox, and it never feel quite the same each time you drive. Its kind of have brain of its own to the way it change gear. If u do get DSG, make sure you order steering paddles if not already standard...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
the fault in my car is that when it rains and you open the door water POURS from the roof into the footwell and seat. You need to "run the gauntlet" of the water to get in. It's worse when you open after a heavy shower because more water has gathered on the roof. It just doesn't seem to be channeled away as you'd expect
Its the same with most soft tops and even my old Golf IV, although the V does not seem to do it. Why do you want another Eos? It will have the same charateristic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess it would be something you'd have to live with. Anyway, the car went back to the dealer yesterday and I got a ful refund - and I knew I'd done the right thing when after a short (and light) burst of rain there was water coming in (again) at the nearside back window - dripping from rubber seal onto window shelf. I think I simply got a poorly finished car. They offered the refund based purely on the wrong sound system being fitted and admitted they didn't order correctly - nothing was said about the water. You can only wonder why...

Being cynical I reckon they must have a mug punter lined up to buy it - otherwise they wouldn't have been so quick to offer a refund.

I've offered them a DVD of the film I took of the leak and the water coming in and I pointed out the misaligned sunroof seals to the salesman before handing it back - I won't hold my breath for a detailed comment from dealer or VW. Guess I'll see what other feedback there is and decide whether to re-order. Or just persuade the wife that she'd love a fully specced new GTI for less money...

I'd be interested to hear from any more Eos owners as so far it seems the water problem with others is limited to a few drips, which we could all live with.

PJG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts