Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do we reckon? Now that Portugal are a bit low on players and high on yellow cards, whats everyones thoughts?

Don't think we would have stood much of a chance, but now, maybe! Bookies are backing england. Semi-Finals for us? Think thats as far as we have ahope of going though. Let's face it, if we do get to the semi finals, were up against Brazil!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Think it'll be close, but England should clintch it. As long as Sven chooses not to play Lampard as he's just been nothing but a liability so far(in my opinion). Every shot over the bar, by miles, seems to have lost the ability to pass too. Lennon should play from the kick off in place of him, hopefully we should get a good result! Realistically we don't stand much of a chance if we play Brazil, but so far they have been far from convincing themselves in this world cup, with the exception of the second half against Japan.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
England should have the advantage now, but that usually means didley squat when they are playing, personally I want portugal to win because it will almost guarantee me to win my Fantasy Football league and net ?70 [:D]

Its all about the money...

·
Registered
674 Posts
With or without their better players playing, we can beat Portugal. Ok, Deco is a cracking player but I dont think he would have found the space like he usually does. As for Ronaldo, he doesnt like getting tackled hard and Terry and Ferdi will give him some welly...legally of course! There biggest threat to us is Maniche! Give him too much room/time on the ball and he will score.

Lamps has still had the most shots on goal in the whole tournament. He was very off form, and so was Stevie G yesterday but we were using the wings alot more and thats to be expected. As for leaving Lamps out, I dont think so!!! If he is getting as many chances on goal from outside the box then I would not want any other midfielder cracking that ball!!

Lennon looked good again down the wing, speed and no fear.....

But, is Sven going to ever put Theo on????? Give the kid a chance to prove himself to the unknowing public! (and show Defoe and Wright Philips why they are not in the squad - I would have picked either of them over Theo even though I know Walcott is musturd!)

·
Registered
654 Posts
England should have the advantage now, but that usually means didley squat when they are playing, personally I want portugal to win because it will almost guarantee me to win my Fantasy Football league and net ?70 [:D]

Its all about the money...
Traitor! I would personally prefer England to win and lose out on the ?70! [;)]

Well, I think Rooney will finally score in the game versus Portugal and hopefully Lampard or Gerrard will also break their duck, in doing so will bring loads of confidence. And let's face it, the England team are very lucky having a Portugal team with quality players not playing/unlikely to play. England need a game where they win decisively and this could be their chance as it is likely they will face either Brazil or Spain in the semi-final and they cannot play like they have been when facing either of these teams.

3-0 to England.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With or without their better players playing, we can beat Portugal. Ok, Deco is a cracking player but I dont think he would have found the space like he usually does. As for Ronaldo, he doesnt like getting tackled hard and Terry and Ferdi will give him some welly...legally of course! There biggest threat to us is Maniche! Give him too much room/time on the ball and he will score.

Lamps has still had the most shots on goal in the whole tournament. He was very off form, and so was Stevie G yesterday but we were using the wings alot more and thats to be expected. As for leaving Lamps out, I dont think so!!! If he is getting as many chances on goal from outside the box then I would not want any other midfielder cracking that ball!!

Lennon looked good again down the wing, speed and no fear.....

But, is Sven going to ever put Theo on????? Give the kid a chance to prove himself to the unknowing public! (and show Defoe and Wright Philips why they are not in the squad - I would have picked either of them over Theo even though I know Walcott is musturd!)
I thought he had been on? In one of the first games? Anyway, doubt he will come on again now, unless Sven has no choice or we had pretty much secured the game, say 3-0 up, which I doubt will happen at this stage in the game.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
if yesterdays game is anything to go by, England is going to bore us to death

i think that way no one will remember if they win or lose

though i would prefer them to win

what really peeved me off was the commentators last night, they seem to be watching a different game to the rest of us

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
There is only one advantage about England winning the world cup, it might stop people going on about 1966.. and it would have been such a boring journey to get there people will just forget about it...

Come on Portugal.... [:p]

·
Registered
895 Posts
Given that the main man from Portugal won't be in the match and with a bit of luck for England, I guess a sensible prediction would be 1-0 to England.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think england are going to get pasted. Dont get me wrong, i am an england supporter and always have been but all the hype surrounding england is all cr*p. this squad needs to smell the air and get woken up. it would of done the team good if ecuador stuck a few past us to be honest. They beat Paraguay from a "Parcelforce" (beckham - gauranteed delivery) freekick. if this is the only way you can win a game, your in big trouble. beating t&t 2-0 is a must. for england to evenly remotely stand a chance of winning against the portugese theyre gonna need to stick the ball on the ground. work it around the flanks and get gerrard to slip one of those tasty balls past the centre halves for rooney to do his thang.

if you look at whats happened in the last few games, england are LUCKY to be where they are. if ecuador had even 1 player slightly more goal orientated then england would be arriving at heathrow this afternoon.

and this hype surrounding the portugal game is complete rubbish too. yeah i understand most of their squad is on yellows, but Big Phil knows hes gotta risk it. Think about...your in the quarters...oh right well lets stick on my 2nd team and hope for the best. No. Its not gonna happen. Hes gonna play the big guns because if he doesnt he's gonna get strung for not playing the best squad.

aside from that, the england squad have no interaction between the players. there doesnt seem to be the full flowing motion like the squad of 2002 or euro squad of 2004. they seem to be distant from each other. and another thing, sven is losing his mind with these substitutions. hargreaves might be a good utility man, but you dont have to stick him on as soon as youve got the lead just infront of the back 4. admittedly he did a good job at right back, but i dont like the way england play when theyre motivation is to sit back and absorb the pressure. leave crouch on the bench with the portugese because carvalho will just have him in his pocket. but then england always revert to bolton tactics and just hoof it up the pitch. wrong. rooney is good but hes not a miracle worker. listen to hansen. rooney needs support. he should be playing behind someone, picking up the ball from deep and dictating play. fat frankie jus isnt doing that enough, and if he skies it 30ft above the bar again, i will personally get on the plane to germany and tell him to keep his friggin knee over the ball and think of his family. he will soon find the back of the net. and with regards to walcott; sven knows his made a mistake and wishes he can turn back time. however, i dont see the risk of playing walcott. yeah hes had minimal time on the pitch, but surely hes got enough talent to get signed for Arsenal for 7M. Sven, pull your finger out your a*se and stick him on for 20 mins, who knows he might even score.

i reckon 2-0 portugal. ronaldo will be owned for most of the match by a.cole but i think if maniche starts he will find the net. then england will be chasing it and concede another.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
So what do we reckon? Now that Portugal are a bit low on players and high on yellow cards, whats everyones thoughts?

Don't think we would have stood much of a chance, but now, maybe! Bookies are backing england. Semi-Finals for us? Think thats as far as we have ahope of going though. Let's face it, if we do get to the semi finals, were up against Brazil!
England may scrape past Portugal as they will be down on strength and have a few fiery players on yellows. But the semi's will be as far as England get as they are simply nowhere near good enough to take on and beat Brazil.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We'll be home before the semi finals! Hopefully we will see a significant reduction in flags on carss!
Lol! I was in England from Thursday til today and was amazed at the sea of flags, especially on cars!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
We'll be home before the semi finals! Hopefully we will see a significant reduction in flags on carss!
Lol! I was in England from Thursday til today and was amazed at the sea of flags, especially on cars!!
Totally! I've just come back from York and every 4/5th car had one or two flags waving... mostly Citroen Picassos for some reason...

·
Registered
890 Posts
i'll second that! As most people above have said, we'll scrape a win against portugal possibly and thats as far as i can see us going! We've not played the best so far, against teams that everyone has had us down for winning from the start, and managed to get through, hence they think they can get away with playing at their current standard, and i think they'll continue to. Best of luck though, i'll be backing them all the way, although got to go to a wedding at 3.30 Sat afternoon!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
To be honest people go on about Deco being the main man. This isn't really true, Deco doesnt do as much as people think. There are other great players around like Figo (ok he's lost his pace but hes very clever minus the head but), we (Port) also have Maniche, he's showed a few times what and how he can hit the ball. I'm not saying that Portugal will beat England, but we've played much better football than you guys and also beaten you the last two times in the major comps. Ok Portugal haven't won a cup but are the same as the other countries that haven't, play brilliant and then flop when they need to play their best!

It's going to be tight, I think 3-0 is a bit OTT, a single goal will settle this game.

Good Luck to both teams though.

Forca Portugal! [:p]

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just found this little snippet on the Beeb, given the history between Britain and Argentina I find it hard to understand how he has been chosen as the ref, it's gonna be harder still playing against 12 men.

"Argentine Horacio Elizondo will referee England's quarter-final with Portugal. "

·
Registered
53 Posts
What tickles me is Figo "NUTS" a player get seen on the big screen play back in the stadium..gets booked for it ...and FIFA dont sanction a RED card by video playback evidence.They critisise the referee and thats the end of it.If that was a english player no doubt that all the hangers on at FIFA etc would be up in arms trying to bar our players.

As it stands like Euro 2004 its wide open.I know we have been bland and boring but to be honest no one has set the world alight consistantly yet have they ?Argies and Brazil in spells,but then Brazil aint exactly play a named team yet have they ? France havent exactly been the team of the tournament although beating Spain was a big task given the talent the spanish have but seemingly the talent as usual doesnt come to fruistion in the big tourneys.

I say get behind the team after all if you are indeginous to this country you must support england regardless,thats me Winston Churchill rally rant out the way lol...COME ON BOYS i mean after all if the rugger can do it and the cricket was well amazing....as once said in Stingray "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR".

COME ON BACK THEM >>REMEMBER ST GEORGE!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

England may scrape past Portugal as they will be down on strength and have a few fiery players on yellows. But the semi's will be as far as England get as they are simply nowhere near good enough to take on and beat Brazil.
Call me controversial but I think England can beat Brazil, they've had an easy route to the qtrs so far, all this talk about playing at 60% is rubbish, this is Brazil, they're expected to thump as many goals against the opposition as possible. England's defence is too good and Brazil give away to many chances at the back. Australia, Japan and Ghana all had so many chances but just couldn't finish.

However, France will beat Brazil before we get the chance, they played smart against the Spanish and will do it again.

England v Portugal - It will be tough for England, if the Premiership 'stars' step up finally they shouldn't have a problem. Deco being out could work against them though, if they assume the side will be weaker. It'll be painful, prob ET and maybe pens. My head says Portugal though I hope I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts