Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the world cup looming upon us i think we need a captin who has passion and the desire to win for the cup for the country

who better than the one and only steven gerrard

·
Registered
911 Posts
Why change the captaincy? Everyone looks up toBeckham in that role, yes, He's not as good as he was, but from what other players say, he is a great captain. Let Stevey G concentrate on waht he does best.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Blimey, the FA cant even sort the manager out and people are asking for a captancy change 6 weeks before the biggest international games for another 4 years......dont be daft mate!

Beckham does a very good job as Captain, on and off the pitch. I can understand he might not be everyones cuppa tea but that doesnt matter.....

Your suggestion of Gerald is a bit "red" tainted I guess, but think about it - he was about to leave Liverpool for Chelsea not that long ago until he did the biggest U turn in Football!

John Terry will be the next England Captain. Young, brave, honest, and a fighter.

And no, Im not a Blue!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with Coolcurly, i think there is no need to change the captaincy, he may not be the best captain in the world, but he is our captian, he takes a lot of stick and media attention off the other lads. And with Rooney out, everyone will pick up their game for the finals, to prove we are not a one man team. We have one of the best, if not the best midlfield in the world that will score goals, a cracking defence to stop goals (So long as Rio doesn't play).

I dont think Gerrard will be next in line, and i hope its not Owen (ive seen more passion in a match-stick), I think Stevie G should push up behind a striker, play in a role he has been prolific for Liverpool this season. I am a red, but its about time Sven played him in this position, he is much better going forward than Lampard. Joe Cole will be a star in the world cup finals. And Beck's will do a great job organising positions and morale on and off the pitch. This is the best chance weve had in years, i don't think the team will let anything spoil it.

I also agree JT, will be future England captain, he does a great job with Chelsea and i think he'll do just as good a job with the national team!!!!

Come on lads, bring it home!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Gerrard is much better going forward than Lampard.
Thats a very bold statement. I'm neither a Liverpool or Chelsea fan, but who scored more goals this season...Gerrard or Lampard?
Who said anything about scoring goals? In any case, Gerrard has scored 19, Lampard has scored 20, Chelsea have one game left, which lampard probably will not play in and Gerrard has 2 left with Liverpool, theres a chance to catch up! What bout assists? Crosses, passing completion, tackles? He is a more complete player, when was the last time you saw Lampard track back and tackle on the edge of his own area, for Chelsea or England?

·
Registered
674 Posts
You could sit here all day long and talk about whos better, Gerald or Lamps. They are both WORLD class players who can turn a game. I personally rate Lamps higher, but thats because Ive watched him play since he was 17 years old and every year gets better and better. But, thats not to say what Stevie G does at Liverpool isnt a great great job.

I do agree though that this could be Joe Coles World cup. Ive been telling everyone who will listen that if he gets a chance to get on the pitch he will do what Rooney and Owen did.......take the world cup by storm.

Back 4 are solid as a rock, and I did like the formation when Ledley King played just in front of them. What that did was let Stevie G and Lamps push forward more as sometimes they dont go too far forward so they protech the back four. With King there, they were happy and secure to push forward. It was such an attacking formation and one that England ARE good at!! When we play OUR game, we can beat anyone. When we start to play south amercian style it all goes pete Tong!

Come on England!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you go by the score of each respective player on the official Premier League fantasy football database (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/), Lampard is on 222 points (highest midfielder score in the league) whereas Gerrard is on 170 (second highest in the league). Presuming you are right on your goals scored tally (ie not much difference between the two) then, it seems, Lampard has a much higher goal assist ratio.

I do not doubt that Gerrard has better defensive qualities but do not concede your point about Gerrard being better going forward. As I've said already, I am a fan of neither team. Just making conversation.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Please cant we just leave Chuckle Snr at home!! Pleaseeeeee!!!!!!

Dont think Owen is going to be fit, and to be fair if the mid field looks like that, and joe cole running in front, Peter "snow on his 'ed" Crouch would be a good option. I know he cant hit a barn door, but Becks, and Gerard will be able to put balls onto his head....like I said previously.

But, I would still take a 70% fit Owen.......just maybe not play him when not needed...if you know what I mean.

But again, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE can we leave Chuckle at home!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chuckle Senior - Gary Neville
Chuckle Junior - Phil Neville
Commonly known as THE CHUCKLE BROTHERS

Thought you would know that UFO, being a Basingstoke lad!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ah, gotcha.  Although he's not exciting, is a moaning git and hugely predictable you've got to admit he is constantly reliable and does get forward.  Who would you prefer in his place?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I personally think we will stuff England next Wednesday.

I then predict we will stuff England again on the 15th June.

And to top it off we will triumph once again on the 20th June.

We have an abundance of good players to talk about too. Must call 20valve to ensure he has input on this [:p]

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd go with that...almost. I'd put Carragher in the middle with Terry and have Ashley Cole left back.
Definately, leave rio at home, he's too slow (n im not talking about his feet) he lack the attention, but i would sooner have Ledley King in that position for carrick, but not sure if he will be fit either.

Going back to the Ger/lamp convo, in the Sun fantasy league, Stevie is on 280ish and lamps is under 260. But i guess we will have to wait and see what happens in Germany, alls i can say is that, they are both world class and every bit part of a winning team.

As for the dude from Paraguay, we play you guys on the 10th June (my bday), not before, not after, especially not in the final!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I personally think we will stuff England next Wednesday.

I then predict we will stuff England again on the 15th June.

And to top it off we will triumph once again on the 20th June.

We have an abundance of good players to talk about too. Must call 20valve to ensure he has input on this [:p]
Theres my old mate DJH!! Ive been waiting for you to change your Picture for weeks!! LOL!!

Tell you what, if Paraguay beat England, I'll buy you a Paraguay Shirt and post it to Sunny Scotland myself! Deal?

heehee!!

O Fhl?ir na h-Albann
cuin a ch? sinn an se?rsa laoich
a sheas gu b?s `on
am bileag fe?ir is fraioch
a sheas an aghaidh
feachd uailleil Ionhair
`s a ruaig e dhachaidh
air chaochladh smaoin

There you go, thats one Anthem that wont be sung in Germany this year so I'll sing it for you in Gaelic!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Scottish vocal power will be very powerful in the world cup during England games mate - just wait and see!

Watch the EBC show the reaction in pubs across England when the English football team get knocked out. See how down they are then watch the ensuing riots live [:p]

It is at that point you will no doubt see the broadcasting of the contrasting feelings north of the border at the same result and the abundant feeling of jubilation that we don't have to listen to the same crap we have had to put up with since 1966 all over again [y].

Roll on the riots [:p]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts