Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

ive got a 2000 golf with a agu engine... it needs timing belt and a clutch and belive the valve stem seals are gone ...

Ive also got a auq engine on a engine stand from a leon cupra.

Ive got a wide band loom and a k04 to go on.
But i will go big turbo in 2 to 3 years once the wallet recovers from a rebuild!

Question is.. do i go agu for the big port to suit the big turbo later down the line and sell the auq also sticking with an engine i know is good.

Or use the auq (that ive never heard running but told it is all good) and thatll suit the k04 and sell the agu and loom for someone to use as a conversion? And buy a big port head later on

Or maybe mix and match parts?

The agu has done 160k miles
The auq has done 120k miles

The agu golf is bog standard while the auq was in a leon that had lots of mods and a remap.

Looking at prices the auq and agu are pretty much around the 200 mark so i just wanted advise on pros and cons of either engine.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
They are basically the same. You can get rods to suit either engine, although people prefer 20mms because 20 is bigger than 19 but they don't understand the shear forces needed to break a 19mm pin. It makes no difference.

VVT will always be better, so AUQ.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are basically the same. You can get rods to suit either engine, although people prefer 20mms because 20 is bigger than 19 but they don't understand the shear forces needed to break a 19mm pin. It makes no difference.

VVT will always be better, so AUQ.
I know there the same but im thinking small port vs big port.

I thought the vvt was only used for cold starts and became inactive

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VVT can be programmed to do whatever. Plenty of torque to be had with it used properly. When you say big turbo, do you mean big, or K04. Small port sub 500bhp imo.
Ah ok i didnt realise vvt could be used for that. As always theres so much disinformation on fourms. I feel stupid asking but i know someone like your self knows the correct awsners

My bhp goal is 300bhp

As for turbo i have a k04 which if i use that Im going to get a v4 relentless manifold unless something better has come along since last time i was playing with 1.8ts or

If i go big tuebo id go gt2871r but im not sure if that extra cost for 50bhp more is worth it... id have a less spikey tourqe curve but i think id get a nicer drivable car

Ill likley keep inlet stock bit port match unless porting the heat doesnt cost lots and lots

Head ill keep stock just do valve stem seals as ive never seen the auq running.altho im going to look in to na cams for better top end breathing unless theres no point with a k04.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VVT can be programmed to do whatever. Plenty of torque to be had with it used properly. When you say big turbo, do you mean big, or K04. Small port sub 500bhp imo.
Also i sent you an email and a facebook message about flashing a k04 file on and doing a immo delete... or i can get the immo delete and then get a k04 file from you if you have one.

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts
VVT is hopeless on these engines. It's a two position system, purely used for fast warm up.

It is not fully variable. I have to disagree with Adam here. it cannot be programmed to do "anything".

Not one tuner offers utilisation of the auq/aum VVT to improve performance.

If you're going BIG turbo and chasing power figures (>350), you want big port.

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VVT is hopeless on these engines. It's a two position system, purely used for fast warm up.

It is not fully variable. I have to disagree with Adam here. it cannot be programmed to do "anything".

Not one tuner offers utilisation of the auq/aum VVT to improve performance.

If you're going BIG turbo and chasing power figures, you want big port.

Just my 2p.
The plan was to go big turbo eventually and run what I have a which is k04 conversion setup

Ive noticed oil has pushed past the seal on the spark plug tubes and the back of the cam cover plus the clutch slips so im thinking shit thin oil or oil thats oil and cooked is getting past

So all the more reason to rebuild it any way

Only last thing is was going to check was that some one hasent used shit oil and swap it out for 5w40 vw oil. Plus use a stop smoke aditive that has a polymer to revive dried rubbers

The car was sat for a while so could be that

But now ive found the car i bought is smokey on throttle blip im putting it down to valve stem seals.... compression test shows 175 to 180 so not rings.... and ive swapped the k03 for a k03"s"
And still does exactly the same thing. I may just sell thenk04 set up back on and put that towards a gt2871r or something thatll give me 300bhp... or at least be capible of lets say 350+ but have it run at 300 to keep iats and egts lower as the turbo wont be working hard.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
Sorry NooNoo - I disagree. I have logs of a considerable air mass increase bringing in VVT early on my 064 setup. On the K03s/K04 there's not much to be had - but they don't flow, hence my question about actually being BT or not.

Nikki, Bill, Ben will all say the same thing - VVT can be used to bring in some torque early on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry NooNoo - I disagree. I have logs of a considerable air mass increase bringing in VVT early on my 064 setup. On the K03s/K04 there's not much to be had - but they don't flow, hence my question about actually being BT or not.

Nikki, Bill, Ben will all say the same thing - VVT can be used to bring in some torque early on.
Yea i looked it up theres a really long thread on vw vortex about it... but they was talking about a window switche to bring vvt in from 2000 to 4000rpm.

Well... itll defo be a k04 for now if i dont just go for a big turbo as in a gt2871r... i belive thats the best comprimise for bhp vs lag.

Unless you can advise otherwise on turbos for a 300 to 350 goal.

Im not looking to chase any numbers and where i end up i end up and that would be a safe mumber so if the big turbo makes lets say 340 id ask to bring that back for reliablity and longevity...

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
If you have the money and time, get an 064 - same as what I had on mine before I went to the VR. Boat loads of torque and pulls harder than the K04 from the 1.8t. Doesn't tail off either. I absolutely loved mine.

Also yeah, I might have missed your message but can sort you out with whatever you'd like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have the money and time, get an 064 - same as what I had on mine before I went to the VR. Boat loads of torque and pulls harder than the K04 from the 1.8t. Doesn't tail off either. I absolutely loved mine.

Also yeah, I might have missed your message but can sort you out with whatever you'd like.
064 turbo as in a tsfi turbo? That was one idea altho i did wonder if by time you pay for the turbo if not second hand to be rebuilt and the adaptor plate. Lines and downpipe.. i wondered if it was just as costly to do a big turbo than a tsfi turbo

Ill dm you about what i need. Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts