Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a MK6 GTI and need to get it serviced soon. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all the different types of engine oils available on the market to choose from. I've only ever used the oil recommended by my VW dealer. My buddy uses Liqui Moly for his cars and is convinced they are the best. I'm open to any option, to be honest. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
947 Posts
Castrol Edge 5W40 is a good default option. My wife's Mk6 GTI is serviced by VW and seems to make the oil dark pretty quickly, so I know the oil they use is working hard and not something I'd skimp on by getting a semi-synthetic or cheap non-brand.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
either 0w40 or 5w40 full synthetic, any brand will do even non branded ones as they all have to adhere to the industry standards for said quality... so you can save some money chuck in a cheap brand (don't skimp on the filter though) and do an oil service more often... it'll still be cheaper than buying an expensive brand that stays in longer and do more damage as the oil gets dirtier and stays in longer than the cheaper same grade non-brand oil that gets changed more often at a lower price.

this argument of running an expensive brand as it is the best oil malarkey is bollocks... just go cheaper oil and do change it earlier than you would with a big brand... your engine will run equally as good, have better protection because the oil never really gets dirty or breaks down

FYI it's cheaper to do 2 oil services a year with a non-brand oil and high quality filter instead of 1 a year with an expensive brand and a high quality filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts