Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Engine Mount Snapped! :-(

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
5K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Nikijh 
#1 ·
Pulled on to my work car park at about 7 am this morning, engine went major loud so obviously turned everything off as soon as it happened, lift up the bonnet to see the damage....driver's side of my enging has completely dropped, taking the timing belt with it..

Phone my garage, said can get it done today no problem if I get it too him I'll have it back by 4 this afternoon, so I ring the AA they came literally 15 mins after I'd been on the phone. Pulled up outside the garage, to find this greeting me...
Posted Image

Posted Image

A lovely 1" hole in the middle of the sump! Oil all over the road, and the AA man not sure what to do [:O]

Garage have now said it's gonna take 3-4 days to replace sump, rebuild engine. AA have advised that they "could" pay for the parts, I just want a hand if anyone knows the correct procedure to go through to get the £250 it's costing me for a new sump and 3 hours labour costs?
Please help me, I'm carless, and maybe gonna be £500 down if I can't sort this out....

Niki

See less See more
#3 ·
firstly, sorry to see that dude!

Secondly, did you get the AA drivers details? time of pic up etc? if so then contact them directly get the garage it was taken to to back you up and demand that you are compensated for this and the fact you are carless (cant get to work etc) show them the pictures it will take a while but you WILL get your money back.

#4 ·
Ahh AA parts and labour warranty scam, they offered me that too and i had no option but to take it due to where the car was and towing fees, they paid the first 500 quid, and then slapped 500 quid to the bill, so your actually not saving anything...

You mite be chepaer and hastle free if u put another 115 engine it all the rebuilding etc etc just gonna add the labour costs up you could probably pick an engine up for around 500 and fit it for another 200,

#5 ·
Yeh I have all the details etc, do you think if I call the AA up they will give me a courtesy car, cause I'm pretty much in the poop now :-(

The garage I use is actually a family friend, so he's gonna try as much as he can to get everything done like, pronto and for aa to somehow sort out the engine mount in the costs as it still has to be removed. I just need a car like now, lol. Does anyone know any numbers who I call for it, I'm stuck [:(]

#8 ·
No it was defo not cracked before, the AA have taken full blame for it, they said they will pay for the damage to the sump. Still not sure on the courtesy car rule though, as obviously the mount would have been done by the end of the day, but now the sump is a few days

#15 ·
Why write it off. Damage might not be as bad as it looks.

£50 for a sump. They aint the hardest things to change 24bolts or whatever
£30 for oil and a filter 504/507.00 spec
Engine mount will be about £40ish from euro car parts

Labour id say 3 hours max at a garage. If the belt has gone, it will be a whole different story.

#16 ·
Cause as it stands, he can't get the bolts out of the engine, if he can't get them out without removing the engine then I'm looking at £1,700. i defo need cam belt he knows this already as when engine dropped snapped the cover.

The sump im not worried about, as I'm not paying for it.
It's a green thing my last MK4 golf, he was green too, and still all these problems :(

#26 ·
Surely the AA should've thought about it and propped the engine in transit to save any further damage? Or tied it up... useless. If they are accepting blame for the sump damage then they admit they didnt transport it correctly... if he'd of propped or tied it up the the other engine mounts may not have broke... just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.