Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

i've had my 1.8T for a couple of weeks and im starting to think about tuning options, firstly i was wondering if someone could explain the difference between the engine codes? (AGU, AUM, AUQ?) if there is a difference? my engine is AUM, does this make a difference?

If their is already a post explaining this then im sorry, had a look but could find anything ,

-Alan

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
AUM is the 150bhp varient with a K03sport turbo, DBW and VVT - basically a good one with regards to tuning capabilities.

Id recommend you go for 4bar Revo with an SPS3 to make fine adjustments.

Add a CAI, a Milltek turboback exhaust and you'll be laughing.

AUQ is the later 180bhp engine which I have [:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by 0w3n on 29/08/2004 20:35:02

Gary, I have the AUM engine but mine is Non DBW???

If you have an AUM engine then its definatly DBW, its the AGU which is Non DBW.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked out the revo site, what's the difference with this and AmD? Is the AmD and physical chip and the revo just a software upgrade?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, AMD will solder a chip in AFAIK wheras Revo with just upload a performance program to your ECU letting you change back and forth between performance and stock by the use of an SPS switch - a much more stealthy option IMO.

If you have a DBW engine then by using 4bar Revo with a 4bar FPR and an SPS3 switch you will possibly run more power than you would with an AMD chip but you will need a DP and cat to be safe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah right okay. So this DP and cat? whats that? do i need this so the car doesn't get damaged? Can the car handle the extra power i.e. clutch/brakes etc?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by aberdeengti on 30/08/2004 14:21:11

ah right okay. So this DP and cat? whats that? do i need this so the car doesn't get damaged? Can the car handle the extra power i.e. clutch/brakes etc?

Milltek Sports Downpipe and Cat - necessary for getting the hot expelled air from the turbo quicker. Higher boost creates higher temperatures which will destroy your turbo and standard cat in the long run.

Also this combo will give you a little more power which is second only in power gains to the remap.

The car will handle the power though Id recommend 312mm brakes as a minimum, Bremos ideally.

Your clutch should be fine.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by aberdeengti on 30/08/2004 15:28:50

cool, thanks for the info, just need to save up the cash now, how much roughly for the Miltek downpipe/cat?

They start at ?289+VAT from www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk4/exhausts.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts