Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a good one for you.

Just completed a four hour journey and parked the car outside the house , jumped back into the car to get a chineese and clank bang rattle , opened the bonnet and notced the engine had dropped on the drivers side and underneath it had broken the sump tray and pushed it to within an inch or the tarmac the engine mount seems to have detatched itself from the block, I will have to study it in the morning ,.Of course I will not beable to drive it and I just hope that no further damage has been caused

Does anybody know of this failure

I do consider myself lucky as I was 100 miles away 2 hours before and the car is sitting safe outside my house albeit Knackerd

·
Registered
567 Posts
that would be it then there are a few instances of people not tightening the bolts enough or not using new ones , phone the garage you had it done at mate

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contacted already He commented that that the 150 hp is over stressing everthing Do you think further damage has been caused apart from the 100 quid recovery to the garage

John F

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way my wife has just told me that she seriously grounded the car last week on a kerb

John F

·
Registered
567 Posts
as it says in that thread the guy ended up needing a new engine , Hope you dont have to . sump possibly and exhausts cat have a thorough check out your cam belt may be torn now too

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Contacted already He commented that that the 150 hp is over stressing everthing Do you think further damage has been caused apart from the 100 quid recovery to the garage

John F
I think you should find yourself a mechanic who talks from his mouth and not his arse!

If its a 150 and it came from the factory that way, how can it possibly be over stressing everything? Does he know something that all of VW's engineers don't know?

[^o)]

·
Registered
372 Posts

John F
So what would is comments be on the power of a V6 then?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You And I know he is speaking from his Bottom but this must be his get out clause

Tell me why would it possibly be an engine replacement?

John F

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think one of the mounts that is known to fail can snap off the block and then the engine can't be mounted correctly, you may be able to get it welded but I don't know if its recommended or not. Also the obvious problems like valves getting bent when the timing belt comes loose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Engine runs well so belt and valves ok , how does the mount bolt to the block, is the block cast or alloy? if the bolts have sheared perhaps they can be drilled or Hellicoiled ?

John F

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
What happens is;

The engine mounting bracket has to be removed to the belt to be changed.

The part of the mount that bolts to the block is secured with 3 bolts. 2 of these bolts are easy to access however the 3rd is hidden and very very difficult to get at.

Some less scrupulous mechanics simply leave the bolt off but othrs don't sufficiently tighten it back up.

With only 2 bolts in place or an undertightened 3rd bolt there can be movement of the bracket relative to the block and the inevitable happens, bolts shear and engine drops. The problem with the 3rd hidden bolt is that it is at a corner web on the block, this web can snap off and in extreme case snap off and take a chunk of block with it. Obviously that would require a new engine.

The mount is really badly designed and yet another weak point to our cars.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Hopefully in your case it will be the bolts that hold the two halves of the mount together and the bracket to the block will be ok.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking in the dark it appears that the bracket to the block is at a serious angle suggesting that it has detatched itself from the engine

What do new engines cost , recon, new ? 2003 45,000 miles Black Alpine fresh air freshener clipped to air vent

John F

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On inspection in the daylight the mount has detatched from the block I have removed the top hose and cam cover I can see that the bolt at the back nearest to the driver has sheared off and left the webbing attatched , the other 2 I can not tell .

Which part of the block is prone to breaking

John F

1 - 20 of 34 Posts