Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lads, I've recently bought another Golf, this time it's a Golf Plus with the 1.9 BKC engine. Today it failed its MOT just on the emissions test. The plate value for emissions limit is 0.8 which I think is optimistic anyway.

They tried 6 times today, results as follows

so first test lot, high of 2.16 and a low of 1.47.

It's had a recent oil and oil filter change, since the garage asked, but I can't see that having anything to do with emissions.

So I took a look at the air filter, which needed doing, but I've seen worse, so I replaced that. The fuel filter was totally black, so I replaced that.

The MOT station then retested the emissions which came down to a high of 1.24 and a low of 1.12, so it's made a difference, but not quite enough.

Can anyone suggest what else I could do? The garage couldn't give much advice as they only do MOTs, so can't massage it through.

Thanks

· Registered
11,653 Posts
you got 2 options... a Terraclean or buying a bottle of Dipetane and add it to the fuel ( keep to the instructions on the bottle, than add an extra 1/3rd) and drive it for at least 40 miles in 3rd gear on the motorway pushing 70mph. DO NOT change up a gear! the whole exercise is to get the engine and the turbo so hot that the Dipetane gets to clean the engine, turbo and the complete exhaust of soot than bring it in for another test...

from the 2 methods the Terraclean is the most effective and what i'd go for because it's kinda to get the car through the MOT ASAP. Dipetane is an additive that works best over time as it's a gradual cleaner and helps give more mpg's.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks north. Do you think an EGR clean would help too? I'll certainly give that Dipetane a go.

I have heard of people making the manufactures limit illegible to read, which means the test is against a value of 3.

My neighbours were selling this car and they've never had an issue before, so perhaps the tester they used turned a blind eye? They bought a 4 year old Golf, so I thought, why not as they've had it for years and I've helped to the services on it, so I know it's been looked after before.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to confirm that this is the exact product? As it looks different on the Dipetrane website

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When was the last time it was ragged?
Today, gave it a good 30 mile blast, good acceleration and kept the revs up. Then the emissions were lower (consider this was post filters change), but not quite low enough.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
Just to confirm that this is the exact product? As it looks different on the Dipetrane website

Yes it is the new design bottle... bit same stuff inside.
Ps that 40 mile with dipetane in 3rd gear, is the same as ragging it about, but with the dioetane you add a cleaner that helps speed up the process.

Still doesn't beat a terraclean clean though.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought a bottle of Dipetane today, so will put it in the tank and fill up. The instructions say to put it in after fuelling, I'd have thought to put it in before so that it mixes better?

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Bought a bottle of Dipetane today, so will put it in the tank and fill up. The instructions say to put it in after fuelling, I'd have thought to put it in before so that it mixes better?
Probably to cover their own back so that you aren't running it neat through the system - in case of any damage, which is highly unlikely if it's just before you fill the tank.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
Mate i ran the stuff neat and it doesn't cause any problems.... when i first bought it I actually used it like a diesel purge and had the exact same result, as i could see the dirt coming back into my make shift filtered return pipe and could see the filter going from yellow to black within a few minutes.... Also if you read the website, dipetane really mixes quick with the fuel so no need to put it in before filling up. and because you are supposed to add it accordingly to the amount of fuel that you have in the tank they tell you to do it after tanking... I rather add a bit to much as i know firsthand that it cleans very well when used as a cleaner. It doesn't cause any backfires nor does it lower the cetane number so just do as stated or just chuck it in on your low level tank as long as you know how much fuel roughly is in the tank you can't go wrong. than add an extra 1/3rd to it and drive it like you stole it ( 70mph in 3r gear on the motorway for about 40 miles) that should do the trick.

By the way that 1Liter bottle is enough to do 4 tanks when used as directed, 3 tanks when used as a cleaner, 2 tanks when used as a diesel purge, and if used to clean separate parts to get rid of stubborn caked on soot it will be just about enough clean those parts, as whatever has been used you'll want to discard because of how dirty it is.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well we'll see what happens. Tomorrow I'm going to head to Costco and buy their delicious croissants, then fill up with their premium diesel and then add the Dipetane to the tank, then it'll get a good run up the dual carriageway. Then I'll clean out the EGR valve and then see what happens I suppose.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
Mate you don't want to fill your tank the fuel tank capacity is 55 liters... so if you got a quarter of a tank it's 13.75 liters ergo you add the amount for 20 liters... if you got 1/3rd of a tank which is 18.333 liters, you can still add 20 liters (although i'd add the amount for 25 liters) the reason why you add more is because you want more of the product to clean the engine and fuel-system.

So as long as you got enough in the tank to do 40 miles comfortably on the motorway just add the product.. do the calculation of what is in there and add the product with a little bit extra than go for that drive. if you're on reserve or less than you'll need to tank as that is only 5 liters of fuel, and not enough to safely go on the motorway for 40 miles.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't intend to fill the tank to the top, I filled it half way and added the relevant dosage. That way if I run the tank down I can fill and dose again and make sure any non premium fuel has been diluted out.

I also cleaned out the throttle body and EGR valve today, so that's really all I can do. It was gunky as you'd expect, now it's clean, that's all I can do.

I'll run it about a bit like this, then add some other cleaner directly to the fuel filter and take it for a long spin before the retest and if it fails again, then I'll go somewhere else where it won't fail.

Reactions: northpole
1 - 14 of 14 Posts