Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Engine cut out and other faults

4K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  katiek 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a probelm with their car cutting out? I'd be driving then suddently there's no gas on the accelerator. No warning lights appear on the dash board and volkswagen are useless! They can't find the fault and jus keep returning my car. It's been the 5th time it's cut out on me now and ive had so many parts changed, fuel pump, fuse box, ecu, window switch, window motor. Has anyone had any of these problems?

#28 ·
I think this is a stock fault, i was talking a few months back to the
services manager in a large dealership about stock faults and he
mentioned this problem.

They don't have any idea what is causing it.

VW uk are aware of it.

Another local dealer gave their customer a new replacement car..

#30 ·
Interestingly, but of no help here, really, a friend's MKIV Golf kept on cutting out at the most inopportune moments such as pulling out from junctions or overtaking on motorways etc. VW never could find the reason for this and so the did the obvious thing - sold it privately to some poor unsuspecting sod!!!

He did not have any repercussions from this sale and so I suppose the new owner wasn't all that upset with the new acquisition.

You could get the garage (if you can find one) to check the amplifier to earth connection on the distributor (if it has one) as this can become compromised with corrosion etc.

[:(][:^)]

#32 ·
which dealership was this?

yeah thats the problem, they can't find the fault but when i asked vw assistance, they said they havent heard a mkv cut out before?

do u know which local dealer gave their customer a new replacement car? did the person have to sell their car back to them for them to give them a new one? and how long from when the person bought the car, did he get the replacement car?

Im going down to the dealership on monday....

and u lot wouldn't believe this...the most stupid thing ive ever heard in my life!

they said they want me to drive the car with one of their people in it to c if its my driving!

wat bulsht is that!

first of all, if i cant drive i wudnt pass

secondly i had a ka before this golf and that was second hand, i drove it for over a year and had no problems with it.

#34 ·
c the thing is i dont wan them to sell my car to someone else when it cuts out. its dangerous, mine cut out on the dual carriage way!

i coudlnt believe it

lucki i was with some people cos i cant push a car

im thinking of taking it to a independant garage but that will cost money

#35 ·
is it jus the TDI's having this problem?

well theyve changed my ECU. nothings changed...after a few months its cut out again

today the electromachanical steering warning light came on red and my steering wheel was locked. i restarted the engine, then its gone

any of u's had this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.