Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a probelm with their car cutting out? I'd be driving then suddently there's no gas on the accelerator. No warning lights appear on the dash board and volkswagen are useless! They can't find the fault and jus keep returning my car. It's been the 5th time it's cut out on me now and ive had so many parts changed, fuel pump, fuse box, ecu, window switch, window motor. Has anyone had any of these problems?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I can't help with the diagnosis. What engine/gearbox do you have?

Did you buy the car new? How long have you had it and how many miles on it? Has it done this since it was new?

If it were me I would reject the car by writing a letter to the dealer principal copied to VW Customer Care saying that the car is a danger to yourself and other road users. Offer them one more chance to fix the car within a certain time period or you will reject the car stating that it is not fit for purpose and contravenes the supply of goods act.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Has
anyone had a probelm with their car cutting out? I'd be driving then
suddently there's no gas on the accelerator. No warning lights appear
on the dash board and volkswagen are useless! They can't find the fault
and jus keep returning my car. It's been the 5th time it's cut out on
me now and ive had so many parts changed, fuel pump, fuse box, ecu,
window switch, window motor. Has anyone had any of these problems?
Is your car a Drive-By-Wire car, ie does it have an electronice throttle?

If it does, then it sounds like you could have a broken 'Brake Light Switch'.

On a Drive-By-wire car, if you BRAKE and accelarate at the same time
(ie both feet down!) then the ECU automatically CUTS engine power, as a
safety feature.

If your Brake Light Switch is intermittantly flickering on and off,
then this will confuse the ECU into thinking your pressing both brake
and accelarator.

This BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH is located just above the brake pedal.

If you have't already had this replaced, then I would recommend you do
it yourself. Roughly ?6 for a new one, it's worth a try,
and you fitting is a piece of cake.

Let us know how u get on :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for replying. It's a 1.9 TDI and just a normal gear box. I don't really know much about cars. I bought the car brand new last year May and I've done approx 10000 miles . It;s been the 5th time its cut out since I've purchased the car.I did reject the car and got spoken to the manager, they refuse to give me a new car because they said they can't fault the car. I've offered them more than one chance now and it's getting out of hand cos they taking me in circles. This is Alan Day im talking about by the way, they're such cowboys. I've called up the trading standards and they said under the sales of goods act 1979 i am entitled a replacement car.

I've told them that i go university 5days a week and on the dual carriageway and that they're putting my life in danger and the guy was like im not putting your life in danger, its the car putting ur life in danger.

I was even accused twice by volkswagen it could be the way i drive. There was one time inside the bonnet, there was a rubber smell. So i called up vw assistance. The guy said the clutch is burning and that it must be taken to the garage asap. I took it to them and they said they couldn't even find the smell. I had to shout at the receptionist to come out and smell it. Even he smelt it but he was like go back to Alan Day because they can't fault it. And on that day i asked them about my remote control key to be fixed. They was going to make me pay! So i refused to and the guy was like your even suppose to pay for the clutch been checked cos there wasn't any fault. I mean what .... is that. The car is under warranty and his telling me that.

Have you had any problems with your volkswagen? Did you buy it brand new?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry i don't really understand what you mean by electronic throttle cos i don't really know much about cars. I don't think it's because i braked and accelerated cos i remember both times i didn't have my foot on the brake and accelerator.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops that face suppose to be on the message lol.

=p I wouldn't know how to replace it myself lol. I'm not very good with cars.

You had any problems with your car? And where did you purchase your car?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The rejection process is a real pita to be honest

I tried several times and my dealer kept saying that VW UK have not given them permission etc etc,

but its NOT, its basically up2 the customer, If you are really not happy with the car write to VW UK, write to the dealer principle etc etc, just keep giving them hell

I finally came to an agreement with my dealer and it cost me a small amount to swap so mayb u could go down that route

Howver as u have had the car so long that may harm ur case

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Sorry i don't really understand what you mean
by electronic throttle cos i don't really know much about cars. I don't
think it's because i braked and accelerated cos i remember both times i
didn't have my foot on the brake and accelerator.
Hiya,

I think it sounds like the brake light switch needs replacing.

I think this is causing the engine to think that you are braking as
well as accelarating, and this is why your engine cuts the power!

Its not that difficult to fix and replace. U could do it yourself in
less than 2 mins. But if you're not too confident, then probably
best to take it to an alternative dealership.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dunt tink i braked and accelarated at the same time cos i was jus goin down a normal road jus accelerating....i tookit to alan day in southgate which is rubbish and abridge..abridge was helpful at first but i think they're getting fed up of me going der all the time now lol. plus i had an arugement with a guy cos i was refusing to pay.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
sounds like a fault with either the immobiliser or the ignition key ie that the computer does not recognise that the key is sending out a code and cuts the engine

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont know wot it is. even vw cant find the fault ><

bludy it jus broke down at the dual carriageway today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vw assistance came. asked me where i want to take it to. i said alan day. he cald up alan day and they refused to take my car in! wat arseholes!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
i dont know wot it is. even vw cant find the fault ><

bludy it jus broke down at the dual carriageway today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vw assistance came. asked me where i want to take it to. i said alan day. he cald up alan day and they refused to take my car in! wat arseholes!
How can they refuse the car ? Is Alan Day a VW dealership ? How long have you had the car for ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
from Alan Day's website :

We at Alan Day are dedicated to customer service and always strive to provide the highest standards within our Service Department.

or not

and

Our service facilities offer:

• Volkswagen Trained Technicians
  • Quality Genuine Volkswagen Parts
  • The very latest Diagnostic Equipment for speedy accurate diagnosis.
  • Class 4 and Class 7 MOT
  • Comfortable viewing area with free refreshments, TV and News Papers
  • Free Collection & Delivery (within 10 mile radius) *
  • Free Courtesy Cars *
  • Menu Pricing.
  • Fast Fit Service for all those minor services and repairs
  • Tyres
  • 4 Wheel Alignment

kick up a stink katie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
When my first MKV broke down, i got it towed straigh to my dealer and they turfed the IT support guy out of his 1.9TDI and gave me the car there and then!

Kick up stink, they should take it without any problems!!

Did u buy the car from them?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1.4. It would just cut out at the worst times! Ask about a dirty throttle body as many people on here have been affected when their cars are around 40-60k? Can anyone shed some more light...?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well a letter has been sent to

alan day

paul willis

and vw assistance.

Paul Willis doesn't deal with it, he gives the work to a person named Sarah. Called her up yesterday and was told she's on holiday!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts