Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all this may sound simple but new to golf diesel

how do you remove the engine cover 130 pd

mine is broke near the windscreen end ,the plastic that surrounds the rubber is broken ,is there an easy fix for this please

thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is a fairly common problem.

The cover is simply a push fit onto three metal locating pins on the engine. Unfortunately the front locating pins are angled away from the rear mounting pin, so it requires finesse (or training) to remove quickly without breaking off the rear mounting tab.

Four obvious solutions. Buy a new one from a dealer(expensive), find an unbroken one at a scrap yard (rare), repair (cheaper) - with industrial grade epoxy plastic bumper weld (many repair garages have this stuff), or don't bother with it (free - but think why did they fit a cover?). Most car designers aim to ruthlessly cut weight and parts from vehicles - as it makes more profit for them. There is probably a reason why VW spent time and money adding something that bulky and complex - and I guess it is more than to simply provide an advertising space for their logo.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Skimad its simple why VW decided to make the cover, to make the engine look newer but also it has foam backing which then absorbs the engine noise. Not lots but a little bit. Not that complex either just requires a good tug, I go by removing the oil dip stick then pull the front of the cover up then the back, but as said the clips/sockets are crap to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts