Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently playing with a 2002 1.4 golf but its my baby and couldnt get rid of it! ne ideas what price im looking at for a 1.8t conversion and most of all is it worth it? i went to awsome gti few months back and woman behind desk reckoned i was lookin at around 7G's!!! ne help wud be greatly apprciated and ill try n get sum pix up off the beast to be [:D]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
You'll need the engine and wiring and acilliary items from the engine bay and clocks and ECU, and brakes to stop it. If it's a 1.8T you want expect to pay about £2000 - £3000 for all the stuff in good condition. Then add about £2500 - £3000 for the job of completely stripping your car and swapping everything in and I mean everything including gearbox, linkages, brakes, wiring etc etc etc. I'm doing a conversion at the minute and I'm only doing it because it's a big restoration job and the engine needed rebuilt anyway. I wouldn't do it to a currently running car. So .....Is it worth it? not on a running car. What you'll end up with is a basic shell and trim with a 1.8T engine. You could buy and build a complete project car for a lot less. If you have a hankering for a bit of speed just buy a corrado, sirrocco or Golf MK3 VR6.

Baz

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
also a huge increase in insurance, and for the price mentioned above you could sell you car, buy a decent 1.8t and have change left.

your best option is to sell your 1.4 unless you love it too much then put up with it being slow.

i asked on here about a conversion because i am getting fed up with a 1.6, which i will now be selling and getting a tdi instead.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
why not take all the good bits you've put on the 1.4 and put it back to standard, then get a 1.8t and put all the bits back on that then you'll still have your baby for a lot less hassel and your car won't be off the road for months

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, but prawnstar i have to say, i think ur idea sounds pretty gud 2 me so i think its time to turn my baby into a Beast! nice 1 lads

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
DON'T convert your car to something that you can buy!

whats the point?

like prawn said, restore your car to original and sell it.

then buy a 1.8T and put your stuff on that.

it'd be absolutely pointless to convert a 1.4 to a GTi, waste of time and money.

you wouldn't buy a film on dvd when you haven't got a dvd player, and then decide to go out and buy a dvd player and copy the dvd onto a video tape, when you could've saved all the time, effort and money on just buying the videotape copy of the film in the first place!

its like that moron who was posting the other day with a list of chavvy bits off ebay to bolt onto his car and then asks "what size turbo can i put on ma 1.4?"

it just isn't done!

jammy

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

whats the point?

it'd be absolutely pointless to convert a 1.4 to a GTi, waste of time and money.

you wouldn't buy a film on dvd when you haven't got a dvd player, and then decide to go out and buy a dvd player and copy the dvd onto a video tape, when you could've saved all the time, effort and money on just buying the videotape copy of the film in the first place!

jammy
Calm down. Read the thread again carefully.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

whats the point?

its like that moron who was posting the other day with a list of chavvy bits off ebay to bolt onto his car and then asks "what size turbo can i put on ma 1.4?"

it just isn't done!

jammy
you did realise that was a hoax by a couple of members on here

·
Registered
857 Posts
its not always as easy as swopping the parts over though, depending on what body works been done etc..... for me i wouldnt be able to just swop my stuff over onto a more powerful golf, but then i guess it all depends on what hes done [Y]

another thing that would stop me is the condition, i brought my car last november, from a dealers with 19k miles on it, thats a 51 plate, so the condition is A1 and its been kept that way, if i brought a 1.8t for the same price it would be in worse condition with much higher miles so if i had the cash id rather go for an engine conversion, guess it all depends on how much you like your current car

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
its not always as easy as swopping the parts over though, depending on what body works been done etc..... for me i wouldnt be able to just swop my stuff over onto a more powerful golf, but then i guess it all depends on what hes done [Y]

another thing that would stop me is the condition, i brought my car last november, from a dealers with 19k miles on it, thats a 51 plate, so the condition is A1 and its been kept that way, if i brought a 1.8t for the same price it would be in worse condition with much higher miles so if i had the cash id rather go for an engine conversion, guess it all depends on how much you like your current car
ALL body work can be changed. ALL interior trim can be swapped. ok, maybe not engine mods but i'm guessing that he wants more power because he hasn't done anything to the engine. A complete car change is WAY less expensive than an engine swap. And from the money he'll be saving he can afford to do a pile more mods anyway.

Baz

·
Registered
5,039 Posts

it just isn't done!

jammy
And apart from that, at least one person I have spoken to had the full kit to turbo charge the 1.4 engine. Costly but it can be done

·
Registered
857 Posts

it just isn't done!

jammy
And apart from that, at least one person I have spoken to had the full kit to turbo charge the 1.4 engine. Costly but it can be done
iv seen a turbo conversion on a 1.4 yaris!!!!! not something id do myself on such a small engine but fair play, but then again when i was younger i probably would lol [:)]

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

it just isn't done!

jammy
i did read the thread carefully, honest! i just wanted to backup prawn in saying how uneconomical it is to attempt that.

and nope, didn't know it was a hoax.

and for someone to put a turbo on a 1.4 kinda sums thats person up doesn't it. i mean, why? just to show it can be done? hmmmm, ok. fair enough, but if i had that sort of money, i'd want to get sizeable gains, and not be limited to the smallest engine in the range.

to be honest, i don't know why i'm arguing, its not up to me and i couldn't give a fc*k if you did it. i just think you'd hit a limit on what you can do with it let alone have the money for it all. i'd rather sell my mint condition 1.4 match after i had removed all my mods etc and got some money, then bought a 1.8T with a bit of history and get it serviced, repaired and start the mods and the money intended for the engine conversion, hand over to IHI and ask for whoppin' big turbo conversion kit.

its bad enough trawling through this forum and ebay as it is looking for what you want and getting distracted by 1.4 + turbo threads and spoilers that glue onto your rear windscreen.

i've got a 1.8T GTI, and of course, i'm modding it. but i'm one of the lucky few that works 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day scrimping and saving to make my car my own style while trying to live at the same time, i can't afford to do everything i want to do to it at once, but i know that one day. it will be finished.

at the mo mine is at:

engine - just need to fit TIP, exhaust system and APR remap, uprated DV and induction already in.
interior - just need to fit Lupo GTI gaiter and carpet false floor in boot and get sub cover and thats it. i've done the rest in there.
exterior - just need r-line rear bumper and thats all, the front end is all done.
chassis - need lowering and wheels. brakes are done.

i'm not out to get a huge change out of my car, of course i want more power and i'm sure after the remap i'm going to want more. but until all that is done i'm not even going to contemplate it.

sorry for my whinge, just don't agree that you should convert a car to a car that can be bought.

i'll get my coat!

jammy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hold on i converted my 1.6 into a 2.8 V6

All the joys of a V6 and built how i want it mate

LOADS OF POINT I THINK!

Have a bash of it mate you got my vote and help if you need it

and it really is not hard to convert one bit

Have a look at this and it took a all of 4 days from the time i striped my car to do the swap

THIS WAS MY DONOR CAR WHEN I GOT IT

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AND THIS IS MY CAR

Posted Image

Posted Image

HERE IS MY LITTLE 1.6

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AND HERE IS THE FINISHED AND 10000 MILES IN 2 MONTHS LATER

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
the only way i would say it is worth shoving a 1.8T in your 1.4 is if you get a cheap 1.8T engine and do all the fitting yourself. i.e. no labour charges!

if you plan for some one else to do it then that will be silly and way expensive.

insurance for a 1.4 with a 1.8t engine in it will be more than a 1.8T

the 1.8T comes with extras like colour coding sports seats etc where as the 1.4 is just plan bog standard. it would be much cheaper to sell the 1.4, and buy a 1.8T, also insurance would be better. and much more reliable as it is standard and no engine swapping has been involved and was all factory fitted and tested.

with the extra money you would save from doing that you could put that to a BT upgrade on your new 1.8T and have a 300+ bhp monster!

at the end of the day its just silly to even thing about putting a 1.8T lump in a 1.4 for 7Gs for some one else to fit!

·
Registered
207 Posts

whats the point?

it just isn't done!

jammy
agreed 99%

only do this if you can build it cheaper than you can buy a GTI. otherwise, ther really is no point, no matter what you've done to your car or how much you think it's worth.

If you want a 1.8T, buy a GTI (or an S3 if you've got any sense ;-) )

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Some really good points here, but I have to agree with the point that you don't turn it into something you can buy.

By all means, an engine swap would be great, but I'd be tempted to put, say, a mk 5 2.0T in there, coz you can't buy one of them.

No doubt it would be a costly procedure, but if your skilled enough (or know ppl skilled enough) it would be a cracking idea. Youd have 200 BHP straight off (1.8T after remap??), so remap and your talking serious power already. Then try and get R32 brakes for it. Then you got a motor that'll fly, no-one else will have, and the repect you deserve for being a pioneer...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts