Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, can anyone explain why my oil is full of water (not head gasket) i know condensation is caused by lots of short journeys but mine usually gets a good run at least 2-3 times a week, although my engine temp gauge will get up to 90 the second i start moving it drops down to the 1/4 way mark ish and stays there, could this have something to do with it? engine not running at full temp and not evapourating any water in the block?

Excuse me if its a bad description but im not very good at explaining things.

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
your temp guage goes to 90 within a few seconds of a cold start? something isnt right there, also it should stay on 90 as long as its running, not drop on a motorway journey.

What engine do you have?

possibly the thermostat is stuck open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi sorry no the engine takes a while to get upto 90 an thats if ive been stuck in traffic but when i pick up speed the temp will drop back down to 1/4 way ish

its a basic 1.6 8v so nothing amazing unforunetly

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
thermostat would be my first point of call, inexpensive and the likely culprit, as for the water in the oil, aslong as its not excessive and you have no oil in the header tank I wouldnt worry. the cold weather can make the condensation worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts