Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my engine at the moment, and looks like it's due a good cleaning!

However, I've never done anything like this whatsoever, so I was wondering whether I could get some advice beforehand. First of all, before I do anything, what shall I cover up? Apart from placing a plastic tesco bag over the battery, what else needs covering? Now down to the cleaning, could somebody tell me exactly what to do, as well as products which I will need?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I wouldn't worry.

Get the jet washer out and blast it, just make sure you go for a good run afterwards.

I use TFR (trafic film remover) which really does get things clean, spray on a cool engine and leave it to soak for a few mins first. Also if there are particularly oily bits, use brake cleaner aerosol cleaner to dislogde that first.

Done this loads of times and never had a problem, it is important to take it for a run afterwards or if you've got an airline blow out all the electrical connectors.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
If you're gonna use a jet wash, don't jet directly at any electrical connectors, Personally I'd advise to jet a hot/warm engine bay, as the cleaning agents work better on hot surfaces, and if u do have any problems afterwards, the hot engine will dry up water problems quicker.

just my personal preference

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Is it not safer to get the engine steam cleaned?
No as this will remove the rustproofing wax.

As for a warmish engine, yes good idea Mr Fly and also thanks for pointing out not directing the jet directly at electrical connectors.

But as above, I do this maybe four times a year and have done so for years and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Is it not safer to get the engine steam cleaned?
No as this will remove the rustproofing wax.

As for a warmish engine, yes good idea Mr Fly and also thanks for pointing out not directing the jet directly at electrical connectors.

But as above, I do this maybe four times a year and have done so for years and have never had a problem.
Fair point,

Just giving my tips based upon the fact that they bloke's never cleaned an engine before, so better off doing it on a warm engine bay (less likely to have issues), and his car's a PETROL, so needs to take that extra bit of care.

Diesels are much less tempremental :)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Fair point,

Just giving my tips based upon the fact that they bloke's never cleaned an engine before, so better off doing it on a warm engine bay (less likely to have issues), and his car's a PETROL, so needs to take that extra bit of care.

Diesels are much less tempremental :)
True, sometimes you forget when things become routine to yourself.

Also, neither of us have mentioned that the black plastics and hoses need dressing up to make them look black again, some kind of bumper black stuff, I use, and it's the only AG product that I rate above all others, is their bumper care stuff (the green goo)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
In an engine bay with that much accumulated dirt I would personally remove all fittings that can come off easily and wash them separately, for a real deep clean, and spend some time manually scrubbing the difficult-to-reach areas to dislodge the bulk of the crud, then go about with jet washing with hot water if possible, several passes until it's really cleaned out. Having some cold s to hand will help ease the job along [Y]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys.

I'll take the car for a spin before cleaning it then, so the engine will be a little warmer.

As for the procedure:
1) Cover battery with polyester bag
2) Spray engine area with water to loosen up the dirt and grime
3) Spray cleaning agent - Any recommendations
4) Give five-ten minutes to soak in
5) Scrub dirty parts?
6) Rinse off with light water jet?
7) Dry with cloth and turn engine on?
8) Apply rubber protection - Any recommendations

Could somebody correct me where I am wrong, or whether I can approach it a better way?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Cheers guys.

I'll take the car for a spin before cleaning it then, so the engine will be a little warmer.

As for the procedure:
1) Cover battery with polyester bag
2) Spray engine area with water to loosen up the dirt and grime
3) Spray cleaning agent - Any recommendations
4) Give five-ten minutes to soak in
5) Scrub dirty parts?
6) Rinse off with light water jet?
7) Dry with cloth and turn engine on?
8) Apply rubber protection - Any recommendations

Could somebody correct me where I am wrong, or whether I can approach it a better way?
Sounds like your an expert now! I think you should come and do mine at the same time, im in london too! [;)]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering, how many parts would I have to cover up with a plastic bag?

I know the battery, but any other electrical components? And if possible, could somebody describe whereabouts the component(s) is located in the picture above?

Finally, do I wet the engine first before spraying engine cleaner/degreaser?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Cheers for the advice guys.

Here's my first attempt, pleased with the results but didn't have the time and patience to clean it properly, the low quality camera also hides some of the dirt that's still there, but overall I'm pleased.

The engine degreasant didn't really clean the bonnet, what should I use for that? Car shampoo?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Even if it still is dirty it looks loads better, nice work [H]

Did you use the process you said?

Do you mean the sound deadening? ive taken mine off and its in the garage waiting to be cleaned when I get around to it lol. its abit of a pain but it unclips.
Im going to spray mine in virosol/autoglym let it soak then rinse it off see what happens.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, followed the process which I posted, but missed out step two as it wasn't necessary.

Sound deadening? I don't have that under my bonnet, I've only got paintwork! [:S]

What benefits does the sound deadening have?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Yep, followed the process which I posted, but missed out step two as it wasn't necessary.

Sound deadening? I don't have that under my bonnet, I've only got paintwork! [:S]

What benefits does the sound deadening have?
Erm.... it deadens the engine sound [:cool:][;)]

Maybe it was just for cars with bigger engines?

Yeah car shampoo should clean of the crap under the bonnet, add a coat of wax too [H]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts