Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im planning to give my engine a clean at the weekend, but am a little unsure about covering the electrical parts. Could someone help me out?

I have a pic of the engine here. I know its not THAT dirty, but i'd like to give it a clean as i've never tried engine detailing before, plus its due a service soon.

Posted Image

I have some AG engine and machine cleaner and some poorboys trim restorer for the plastics and rubber parts.

Thanks in advance,

David.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
When cold, spray with the AG engine cleaner and allow to do its job for about five mins.

Next with an old paintbrush or similar agitate all the dirty parts to loosen the built up crud.

Rinse with an open hose, no high pressue stuff here because its petrol etc etc!

Now with a big warm bucket of water and car wash shampoo clean the entire engine bay using half an old car sponge. Really try and get your hand everywhere, and rinse again. Should anywhere remain dirty use the AG engine cleaner on it.

Perhaps drive around the block to drain all the water out and apply dressing, and wax the painted parts.

P.S. Poorboys; good chioce sir!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary for the speedy reply, very helpful info too. So you wouldn't cover any parts with foil or plastic bags? I dont really know all the parts of the engine, so im a bit worried i might get some of the electrical components too wet and cause some damage.

Also, i've read about people doing it with the engine running?

Yeah, Poorboys is top stuff! (As im sure you know!) I cant fault there products, and they all have there own special, delicious smell! lol

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You should be ok without the plastic bags if you avoid using a jetwash. You can start the engine just prior to rinsing I guess and leave it on a few mins, just beware of the fans and burning yourself when cleaning if its on.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will just be using the hose with an adjustable spray nozzle. I suppose it stands to reason, car engines have been designed to put up with some water, puddles ect, it's just the things i've read about people having problems caused by not covering electrics that puts me off a little.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
That engine isnt too bad, just a whiz over with a jet wash would do the trick

I'd give it a good spray of the AG E&M, leave for 5mins & then rinse, you could run then engine whilst rinsing, but I find its not always needed.

I did this Yaris last week using AG E&M & dressed it Poor Boys Trim Restorer.

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER:

Posted Image

·
Registered
873 Posts
Jace. I cant even see an improvment you obviously wasted your time! [:p] lol

Thats an awesome job youve done. How long did that take? Im guessing you did the whole car?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Jace. I cant even see an improvment you obviously wasted your time! [:p] lol

Thats an awesome job youve done. How long did that take? Im guessing you did the whole car?
Thanks.

It took about 20mins from start to finish.

Yes, I did the whole car, that took a little longer, but was worth it, used Klasse/Zymol Carbon

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry, i'll be posting before and afters!
Great job there Jace! Thanks for the advice. I know the engine doesn't look too bad, but im keen to do it! lol. I'd like to get some dressing on too. I think im also gonna do the wheel arches while im at it (inspired by your 14hr extreme detailing post Jace), I also wanna have a crack at this as i've never done it before.

Cheers

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, done the engine bay today, quite an easy task really, i was a little worried about soaking the engine, but it all turned out right in the end!

Here's how i found her this morning, all rainy and leafy!
Posted Image

Opened the bonnet, the engine looked like this (also see photo at top of thread - before shot)
Posted Image

So to start i sprayed the engine and underside of the bonnet with AG E&M Cleaner, and to work for 5minutes or so
Posted Image

I then (a little nervously i have to say) turned the engine on a started to rinse the engine with the hose pipe on light spray. After this quick rinse down, i used some megs nxt car wash and a sponge to further clean some of the parts that were still a little grubby.
Posted Image

I rinsed the engine thoroughly and dried roughly with an old towel, then turned the car on for a few minutes to help dry it out.
Once it was dry i dressed all the plastics and rubber parts with poorboys trim restorer and sealed the underside of the bonnet with megs nxt tech wax.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had planned to do all the wheel arches today also, but only got round to doing one!
before/during
Posted Image

after (still a little grubby behind damper, this was really subborn!), dressed liner with pb trim restorer [:)]
Posted Image

Pretty pleased with the way my car is coming along, generally i keep it pretty clean, but recently i have de-swirled it, and now i've detailed the engine, looks pretty good for 8years old! [:)]

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Great Stuff, keep it coming !

The arches & engine are two areas most people dont bother with, why I cant understand, they are the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Jace!

I showed my uncle my engine today, he kinda thought i was mad, but will probably ask me to do his next! It really is such a simple job, i was quite suprised actually.

Still got the other three arches to do. Whilst cleaning the arch i gave the wheel a good clean, but had trouble removing the really subborn black spots. Can anyone recommend a product? I was using megs wheel brightner, but it didnt really all the tar and brake dust. I really want to get them as spotless as pos so i can seal them with poorboys wheel sealent.

Cheers,

David.

·
Registered
936 Posts
if your struggling with removing some of the stubborn marks on the rims try either (or both) some detailing clay (use some old stuff that you've detailed the bodywork with, not worth wasting brand new clay) or something like AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover, both of those should leave you with some spotless rims....

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Good work on the engine looks mint [H]

You need to polish that metal strip tho which is looking a bit nasty [:p]

I think ive read somewhere that brake cleaner also does the job of removing tar???

·
Registered
936 Posts
think ive read somewhere that brake cleaner also does the job of removing tar???
Yeah i'd say brake cleaner or carb cleaner probably would clean of tar but not sure how it'd be on inflicting stains on the paint, if i was you i'd stick to something a little less intensive

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
think ive read somewhere that brake cleaner also does the job of removing tar???
Yeah i'd say brake cleaner or carb cleaner probably would clean of tar but not sure how it'd be on inflicting stains on the paint, if i was you i'd stick to something a little less intensive
I wasn't aware that it could stain the paint sod that! I've never used it anyway. I use AG intensive tar remover which I find works very well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help guys, i think the clay bar should do the job actually as my wheels aren't that bad. I'd forgotten about using clay on the wheels! [:$] time for a new one anyway, so my old one can be used on the wheels!

@Simon, i could do with polishing that metal part (dont know what its called!?), what polish would you recommend? Megs?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
@Simon, i could do with polishing that metal part (dont know what its called!?), what polish would you recommend? Megs?

Thanks again.
I dunno what its called, it looks like some sorta heatshield maybe?

Autosol, brasso are good. Ive never used the megs stuff but im sure thats just as good and I think that leaves some sort of protection?

If you can, take it off would make it alot easier to work with and you can do it indoors [:p]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts