Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having only had my mkiv for a couple of months, I took a look in the engine bay today and decided it needed a clean. This is all in readiness for me cleaning out the egr and manifold when it warms up.

Reason I want a clean bay is to spot oil / coolant leaks, etc. It's done 130k miles, after all!

Anyway, I found brasso good for stainless steel (fuel pipes, etc) but what can I use for the rest?

There's a fair bit if oil around the egr which took way too many bits if towel!

Any suggestions greatly received!

·
Registered
473 Posts
degreaser then a jet wash (after covering up the delicate bits) I have access to a jet wash that runs at 130degC shifts most of the rubbish, abit of rapid detailer round the edges and then spray Autoglym vynal and rubber care on the plastic's and houses and leave over night. Ill get a pic of my bay up tomorrow

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Having only had my mkiv for a couple of months, I took a look in the engine bay today and decided it needed a clean. This is all in readiness for me cleaning out the egr and manifold when it warms up.
Reason I want a clean bay is to spot oil / coolant leaks, etc. It's done 130k miles, after all!
Anyway, I found brasso good for stainless steel (fuel pipes, etc) but what can I use for the rest?
There's a fair bit if oil around the egr which took way too many bits if towel!
Any suggestions greatly received!
Warm up the engine first (warm grease/dirt/oil is easier to shift than when it's stone cold)

Get some de-greaser stuff (Gunk off (i think it's called), and a pack of assorted cheap ass paint brushes (£1 shops are your friend)

Work the degreaser solution all over the dirty bits using your s election of paint brushes, you can use a jet wash (hot one preferably) to spray off the worked off crap or a hose pipe will do if you leave the degreaser to do the hard work.

One it's all done, you can if you want, lightly spray a tyre dressing/rubber care product over the black plastics. Light spray should be enough, bearing in mind that dirt is attracted to these sorts of dressings, so you'll be creating a dirt magnet in the long run if you use too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts