Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the day has come... Tomorrow will be the last day of ownership of my R32. Nearly 3 years of getting into the car in the morning and when the key was turned a smile came to my face...

So after 3 years what can I tell you about R32 ownership.

Firstly one of the resons why I have moved away from the vw brand is the dealers. They are awful and seem to have got worse.

I have owned 3 mk4's and my wife had a polo as well (which was changed pretty quickly last month with the problems she had!).. They seem to be money grabbing and constantly give poor service.

The biscuit came when I tried to buy a new R32 and the max part exchange price for my motor was ?13k and that was from 3 diifferent dealers.

Have the prices fallen that much on the mk'4?

Anyway... With my R32 hitting 3 years old I decided to change cause to keep it serviced and maintained was going to be costly.

At 25k miles my clutch was on its way out and the cars handling was seriously screwed up again! Skitterish would be a understatement.

I was also beginning to feel as though the mk4 was looking a little dated (runs for cover[6]) plus the Chav image off the car is increasing.......

So has it all been bad - NO!

I have loved the car since I bought it. But they are costly to run and maintain... never mind the price of trying to tune the thing.

With the exception off having to replace the brake discs - ?1k bill the car has been great.

Tunning wise... The best mod was the miltek back box - it got rid off that annoying boom at 2k revs.

The Miltek sports cats where next on the favourate list, the noise was awesome with them and the deffo let the car breath so much more..

The Cold Air intake gave me the biggest seat of the pants increase in power... My superchip finished the power mods off...

I managed 277bhp on 2 Rolling roads which wasn't bad for a NA car.

Lastly.. Driving the R32 without the dieselgeek Short shifter is horrible... If you have a R32 you need one off these.

So.... From tomorrow I will live in a VW free family. The missus has her mini and my Focus ST is sitting ready to go.

At ?8k difference between my ST and a New R32 of ?4k difference if I changed to a GTI, VW really need to improve their service or bring down their prices!

I will have a tear in my eye when I hand the keys of the R32 over.. And it is one off those cars I will never forget.

So enjoy the photos guys....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
God dam i can see why there will be a tear

But i like your report all the same, good points and bad

However i do like the ST focus and feel you have made a good choice as a replacement

Good luck and get the pics up asap when you get it

p.s what colour did you go for?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sad day Martyn, try not to cry.... I nearly did reading.

One of the cleanest well modded R32 around.

Make sure you post some pics of the ST in the members rides...and make sure the bumpers match the rest of the paint [;)]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
a sad day indeed martyn, lets hope you get as much enjoyment out of your new motor and be sure to pop in to post some pictures

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys...

The focus is performance blue...

It was at pentagon today getting the windows tinted and I called in to see it.

It looks awesome...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I didnt quite like the new blue, prefered the imperial blue

I would go for a red ST if i go down that route in a few months [:D]

I have heard that ford aint offering any discounts on the ST due to high demand

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW the red is beautiful... I had a immediate choice of blue or black...

So I chose blue as I didn't have to wait...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
BTW the red is beautiful... I had a immediate choice of blue or black...

So I chose blue as I didn't have to wait...
suppose if its a case of not waiting then yeah the blue is nicer than black

Might chance my arm for a discount and if they play ball enough [:D]

·
Registered
64 Posts
sad sad day martyn, i think you lost the plot, first you sell the wheels (thanks for those dude [:p] ) and then you sell it to buy a FORD!!!! [:O] [:(]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
As much as your sad to see her go im sure the ST will give you years of fun.I will certainly be getting one in the near future.

A lot of car for your money.[Y]

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Shame to see it go Martyn, I really liked that boot install, it was very unique.  Very good choice for the new car though, I'm not really fan of Fords but I'm liking the new Focus ST a lot.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I can't imagine ever getting rid of my R32, I love it too much. It is going to be so hard deciding on my next car because nothing will match the enjoyment I have had out of mine.

I'll continue to chat on MSN anyway Martyn, and keep you updated on the progress of mine[;)]. Your loss is my gain as soon as the postman comes![:p]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL Golfgirl.... Enjoy the mods!!!!

Plenty of people have done well from my Sale!!

The worst bit is I have to start all over again!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
mmm - ST3 5 dr with no extras from buymynewcar @ ?17199 - 12 week delivery.

look4mynewcar have a silver ST2 3dr in stock @ ?15995

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I am happy for you Martyn. You are a top bloke as I have found and you need to close the R32 book and read onward in to the ST book. I saw an orange coloured new ST belonging to a local lad at the weekend and it really looks and sounds the business. I would like a 5 door ST2 or 3 for my next car. Performance bargain and Fords are holding their money much better now too.

Be sure to get your ST fitted with an exhaust and induction kit and post movie clips of it accelarating. You just can't beat a 5 cylinder engine at full tilt when it is well sorted! And remember to post pics too.

PS - As I have already mentioned in the past I hope you will be around the next time I am over in Belfast. I am buying the meal!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts