Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My car has started showing the yellow exhaust warning light and the warning 'emission workshop' on the display.

I phoned the dealer and apparently it isn't a huge problem unless the light goes red or the engine starts misfiring, but will need to be looked at if the light doesn't cancel itself after a couple of days.

Can anyone fill me in as to why this fault might be triggered?

Two things happened which may have something to do with it, I don't know, the first was that a couple of days ago I really ran the tank down low ( I even made a post boasting about this as the more observant of you will have noticed!). Could running the tank so low have anything to do with this do you think?

Also, the light came on originally today at the same time that it started to absolutely pi55 it down - I can't think how that could be related but it did seem odd that the two happened simultaneously.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've just had (yesterday) exactly the same warning come on my GTTDI. I rang my dealer regarding this and they told me it may just be a dodgy sensor. Although, I dropped it down to them today and they have searched the ecu for fault codes - turns out its some sort of manifold valve that needs replacing. No major issue I suppose. They did say to me that if its a serious problem the ecu will limit the engines performance. How true this is I don't know!

I personally doubt it will have anything to do with you running your tank so low & would guess its either the rain has triggered one of these sensors or it has a similar fault to mine. If you drop it down to the dealer they will be able to tell you in about five minutes.

Not the most technical response I know - but I hope it helps. [:)]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the most technical response I know - but I hope it helps. [:)]
no, thats useful stuff! The two Smith Knight Faye dealerships round me always need you to book in for even minor things like reading a fault. Maybe if I just turn up instead they will take a quick look and let me know.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
My GT TDI did this yesterday, and I was trying to think what could have caused it too - one thing that I came up with was the rain - we had torrential downpours here on Friday afternoon and evening, and most of my 50 mile commute home was through deep standing water, then next time I start the engine, I get this message. So perhaps you could be right - could be something to do with water getting in to a sensor...? Anyway, it's going to the dealer on Tuesday for an 'hour' for a five minute diagnostic check - this really pi**es me off - they book you in in about a weeks time to have a five minute look at it, then book you in again a week later to actually fix the problem - they all seem the same now! I am sure in the past (when I used to drive a Ford...) they used to just say, 'Pop down now and we'll have a quick look' and then they could order parts straight away to fix it sooner!

Al

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, its a joke how much messing about you have to do to have a simple fault check.

My light has now gone out and I'll ask them to check it out at first service, which is due within the next 400 miles apparently.

Mike

·
Registered
809 Posts
These orange lights often come and go. I've suffered them less in my TDIs but the two 1.8t's I've owned had emissions lights coming on and off all the time (mind you they were a bit modified!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting this as my car is also showing that warning light.

It stays on mostly but does go out aswell BUT there is a definate difference in performance when the light is out.

Has anyone been able to pin down the main cause of this error light? Oh my car is an `05 2.0 GT Tdi 140ps if that helps anyone

Also i have noticed if you drive it VERY hard for about 20mins it goes out?? weird

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just had exactly the same error come up on my '53 Golf TDI150 as I was setting out home and it too was absolutely hammering it down biblical style !!! I shall wait to see if the problem corrects itself...

·
Registered
256 Posts
My exhaust light came on at the weekend (2.0 fsi petrol) and when diagnosed it was logged as EGR valve and brake boost valve?

The light was reset but the next day it's come back on so i guess i'll be going back this weekend to see if the same 2 faults are logged :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your best bet is to get someone with access to VCDS (Vag-com) to scan the car to see what faults are logged. Without this information it could be a number of possible faults (generally minor) but without the logged data we can only guess at the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had this message this morning, i stalled the car trying to get out of my road, then turned it over again and it says "emission workshop" and the engine management light come on (lit yellow) i drove to work, when i got here i turned off engine and on again and then it still showed...then i went out for lunch to shopping centre come back ticked over car again...and it stopped showing! i have no idea what that was about!

any idea's or just car being a twat!?

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what i have found with these check engine lights etc, if the fault is serious (long term) the light will stay on nearly all the time and then needs to be looked at by a garage ASAP. Sometimes the light will reset itself (disappear) by itself - this could be caused by a sensor error or just a small glitch at the time. Essentially got to think the cars ECU is just a computer and works againest a set of programmed logic rules - for example if xyz dont meet criteria then show check engine light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this on mine TDi and the previous owner said it was a "non" fault that his VWS couldnt solve. My mum has a Passatt Highline Estate 04 (also diesel) and she is also getting the same fault intermittently. I think it's just common on these cars, but it does piss you off methinks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After doing some 20 miles trip the engine revs drop down to half of what they should be and then jump up, it seems like a misfire or low revs, i have got the car only 3 weeks ago and have been having the same situation..

today I have got the same light and message on my 04 Bora 1.6 after travelling in heavy rain, will have to check tomorrow if the light will still be there[:(].

·
Registered
1 Posts
vw golf gt tdi 2.0lt 140 bhp

hello

i got the 'emission workshop´ light on my car a few months ago after in and out of loads of garages i finally had it checked by an auto electrian he told me my problem and he was right.

all the garages used a scanner to check my codes and tell me the fault "egr valve"

they took it off clened it reset the computer 15 miles later light back on

my problem was this glow plug number 4 was low and the egr valve had a hole in the diaipham these two things made my light come on i got a new egr valve from "berlyn services" and a new set of glow plugs put them on and 350 miles later car is great "NO EMISSION WORKSHOP"

this light did my head in to the point i nearly sold the car, i checked loads of forums but couldnt get it fixed if you got problem like this give it a try

it now does a 1ér in fourth wicked

1 - 19 of 19 Posts