Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work, email websites (such as hotmail, yahoo mail, gmail etc.) are blocked. Is there a way around this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most home ISP's allow you web access to your isp based email that is not normally blocked by work,

example i can get to pipex net mail but not hotmail.

could you forward your email to one of these instead?

or find a lesser know webbased email provider that may not be blocked

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Murder the person who decides on which websites to block, then apply for their job when they want to fill the vacant slot !

That does seem a bit draconian blocking stuff like hotmail and yahoo.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Get everybody in your office to start using there work email for all corresponance and see if it blows a fuse in the virus scanner [;)].

or if you use outlook express on a windows based pc im sure you can get it to retrive mail from a pop3 mailserver. cant remember how to do it tho

·
Registered
16 Posts
you could set your own website up with a mail service for about 1.99 a month and would be suprised if this was blocked,

try google search for 1and1 for a good deal

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Murder the person who decides on which websites to block, then apply for their job when they want to fill the vacant slot !

Good idea tylerama... but do you reckon I'll get away with it?...... [:p]

Thanks everyone for the ideas... think I will go down the personal website route (less risky [;)])

·
Registered
247 Posts

Good idea tylerama... but do you reckon I'll get away with it?...... [:p]

Thanks everyone for the ideas... think I will go down the personal website route (less risky [;)])
Except if your IT department is using a Web scanner like Websense the Personal Web-sites category is right below the Web Based E-mail one.

Incidentally I am one of the people that blocks these web-sites for a company, and I am one the people that gets past the blocks [:p]

Oh, they also tend to block anonymisers as well.. and they also record every attempt you make to get past them, and when the reports are run at the end of the month some people DO stand out a bit.... just thought you should be warned. [;)]

·
Registered
258 Posts
If they have sense they have simply blocked pop3, so no you won't be able to by pass it, though some IT bods have a 2nd port open for their own use.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
get a dynamic domain name for your home pc then use remote
desktop to get to your home pc (even if the app is locked down
most administrators laeve the active x enabled)

then when remotely viewing your homepc you can surf to your hearts
content, and the mods wont be able to tell what your doing, if they
guess you are doing this and rdp access you can just change the port
you use, easy

do a search on micrsoft.com on how to set up remote desktop

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
If they have sense they have simply blocked pop3, so no you won't be able to by pass it, though some IT bods have a 2nd port open for their own use.
That would only work when using Outlook, when you access web-based email it's over http.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That would only work when using Outlook, when you access web-based email it's over http.
Only if they have a cheapo firewall would they get through. I've disabled Web-access RDP connections, near enough anything that will let a potential threat onto the system, but then not many domains require MOD level restrictions [;)]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If they have sense they have simply blocked
pop3, so no you won't be able to by pass it, though some IT bods have a
2nd port open for their own use.
Only if they have a cheapo firewall would they get through. I've
disabled Web-access RDP connections, near enough anything that will let
a potential threat onto the system, but then not many domains require
MOD level restrictions [;)]
without packet inspection you wont stop it, I used to run a vpn on port
53 (DNS) that w\ay I can get round nearly all firewalls including pay
for WIFI access points, it was nearly impossible for the mods ro see it
as there is so much trafiic on a 2003 domain. PS RDP will also work in
this manner, if you know the registry hack.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Only if they have a cheapo firewall would they get through. I've disabled Web-access RDP connections, near enough anything that will let a potential threat onto the system, but then not many domains require MOD level restrictions [;)]
without packet inspection you wont stop it, I used to run a vpn on port 53 (DNS) that w\ay I can get round nearly all firewalls including pay for WIFI access points, it was nearly impossible for the mods ro see it as there is so much trafiic on a 2003 domain. PS RDP will also work in this manner, if you know the registry hack.
Ours would stop that dead as only specific servers are allowed DNS outbound.

In fact only a very limited number are allowed out at all. Those that are go through ISA Server - which has... stateful inspection.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The other thing then to try is force RDP through port 1494 (Citrix
Metaframe) ISA has a job trying to differentiate between RDP and ICA
Alot of departments leave outward 1494 open ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts