cheaper than the next best by about ?70. Hopefully my postcode will be
on the database for more insurers this time next year (I live in a new
build) so Privilege wont change their quote from ?500 for SE10 0SU
(internet quote) to ?750 for SE10 0RU (telephone quote).... but thats
another story

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It is a case of you get what you pay for. The reason they are cheap in the first place is it's stripped down to basics. So is the claims service I hear.

Drive carefully!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi

You should have said that the car was standard, whenever I get a car I say its standard and don't mention any factory extras as in my opinion they are not extras simply a change from the norm :)

I have found elephant really good, I have an Anni, I'm 24 with full protected NCB and pay ?550.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did get a few quotes from other insurers and some don't care about manufacturer options. Unfortunately Elephant/Admiral/Bell do and I phoned three times to make sure it wasn't just one tele-sales person getting it wrong. They were all adamant that I had to declare them and at the end of the day I didn't want to give them the excuse to refuse a payout just in case the unthinkable happend......

Like I say, next year I'm going with someone else.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi

You should have said that the car was standard, whenever I get a car I say its standard and don't mention any factory extras as in my opinion they are not extras simply a change from the norm :)

I have found elephant really good, I have an Anni, I'm 24 with full protected NCB and pay ?550.
In your opinion - that is very risky as it is the insurance companies opinion that counts. If the insurer asks if the car has any modifications from the factory standard spec you must tell them.

For example, if you had a car with Xenons and had a frontal impact they would possibly only replace with Halogens.

Even more serious if you have a car that was stolen that had flash factory fitted wheels or something the insurance company could default your claim. Their thinking would be along the lines that the modifications made the car more attractive to a thief.

Another thing to watch out with some "cowboy" insurers is that although they want to know about mods and will charge you for them they will only payout on the basis that the car is a base model. I wquld recommend that people read the policy document

Example from online Elephant policy are

11. Standard parts replacement

elephant.co.uk does not cover any non standard parts, or anything which alters the performance of your car.

If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed to meet manufacturer's standard specification. Manufacturer's optional extras are only covered if they have been declared and we agree to cover them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A bit of the topic. But has anyone had or know of someone thats claimed on admiral / elephant insurance. I'm with admiral so am very interested. It's stupid that we should even worry about heated seats/ fog lights invalidating a claim when we pay 1000+ for our insurance. If anyone interested i had a car written off with cis and their claims service wasnt the best. But you had a single person who handled the claim, knew your claim straight away, and you could always contact.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Another way of looking at this is, what if you bought the car second hand ?

Most us on here would know what's what because we study the form, Joe public doesn't.

Take for example average Joe Soap who doesn't care, just bought your car in 3 years time, he wouldn't know the xnenons and heated seats were not standard. To him they are standard and he wouldn't give it a second thought.

Interesting how someone like that would fare if they were ever to make a claim ?

As said, you get what you pay for insurance wise, it really does pay in the long run if you ever have to use your insurance that you have got the absolute best cover. Paying a little bit more is well worth it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would beware!

I was with Admiral last year, had 17" BBS alloys, votex kit, lowered suspension etc.

I came off the road into a field in snow. anyway, admiral independant
accessor came to the bodyshop to see the car, I got a letter saying
they were not going to pay out as the car had modifications!!

in the end they only payed for standard parts and I had to put ?400 extra towards the replacement alloy etc.

Im now with a "like for like" replacement company, not worth the hassle

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a standard golf gti anniversary insured with elephant. I have it down as a standard car wud they class all the anni kit and bbs rims as aftermarket. Its insured under and anni gti . Elephant are prob one of the best insurers. ollie

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have a standard golf gti anniversary insured with elephant. I have it down as a standard car wud they class all the anni kit and bbs rims as aftermarket. Its insured under and anni gti . Elephant are prob one of the best insurers. ollie
They aren't aftermarket. They are all standard parts fitted to your car in the factory. As long as they have it correctly noted as a 25th Anniversary GTI you are fine. Unsure how you rate them as one of the best though? On price? Can't think of any other reason! Certainly not their TV ads!!![:p]

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had insured the car with Admiral as Standard. I mentioned no mods.

If you do this you are taking a risk !!

they threatened to void the policy and I would have to have payed ?4000
to get the car repaired. It caused me endless stress and nights with no
sleep for worry!

In the end they payed for standard parts and I had to pay an
additional ?500-?700 to get the extar parts. (uprated suspension,
alloy, votext etc)

you get what you pay for in life. NEVER again will I insure a non standard car with elephant/admiral.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Go to Greenlight. Not only do you get a discount for being a forum member but you get like for like on mods [Y]

Ask for Neil....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I work for an accident repair centre dealing with RBS (Directline, Tesco, Privilege, Churchill etc), Royal and Sun Aliance (Moreth>n, Motability etc) and Zurich insurances.

I have to say how mods are dealt with is different insurer to insurer. For instance Zurich and RSA are quite good, they just want to give a quality service and for you to get your car back asap. RBS on the other hand are VERY keen on non-declared parts such as alloys, exhausts etc. EG we had a N reg Laguna in with 17" alloys on it (not declared), car got total lossed, engineer calls policy holder to discuss settlement fee, mentions non-declared alloys, guys gives the usual "thought they were standard" line, engineer said thats not a good enough reason as its quite obvious a bottom of the range n reg Laguna deisel wouldn't have 17" alloys as standard. As a result, the guys policy went up by ?300 and his excess by ?150 on top of his original. By the time the claim had been settled the guy got a cheque for about ?350 for a car he thought was worth about ?1800...

Any other q's gimmie a try...

Col.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts