Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't got one but what about the vf engineering ones? I've just got the engine mounts
Crazy as it sounds, I'm tempted by the VF Engineering dog bone as well, to match my drop links. I don't even pay this much attention to co-ordination in the way I dress [:|][:p][:D]

I've asked Raj at NS Racing about the VF mount as I've just ordered a second pair of drop links from him, will post price as and when.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
How much are the drop links just out of interest? I paid ?155 for both engine mounts lightly used off ebay which is pretty cheap i thought

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo!

Posted Image

[:)]

At first it looks like it could be just a standard OEM mount, powder-coated and a logo stuck on, but I've had a quick look under my car and they are different.

Nice to see the attention to detail on the packaging (yes, the logos [:|] - and the bar code and product description on the label [Y]), and more importantly, that they bothered to include fitting instructions even for something so apparently simple.

Better pics and report to come soon.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some better pics.

The logo is a vinyl sticker, so be careful not to scrub it when cleaning. More info to come after it's fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
180 Posts
im sorry to sound really stupid but what exactly is the dog bone mount for and whats the gains in up rating it to the EIP version??? im really curious about this one as alot of members seem to have it.

neil.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very basically, your engine is supported either side by engine mounts. These alone are not enough, the engine would twist in its bay under acceleration and braking, knocking about like jelly. The dog bone is the third mount, at the bottom, connected to the transmission area on the engine and the subframe at the other, limiting the twisting motion. The factory dog bone has soft rubber bushings to reduce vibration into the cabin, but being soft means you can get wheel hop and sloppy gear shifts when driving hard, as the whole engine and gearbox wobble about. Open your bonnet and rev the engine hard, you'll see it twist.

Uprated aftermarket dog bones with their stiffer bushings (or just replacement polyurethane or harder rubber bushes) limit the twisting motion even more. Of course you'll get more cabin noise but apparently the EIP dog bone is not as harsh as full polyurethane-bushed mounts.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking really smart but when are you going to stop taking pic's of it & actually fit it! [;)]
I will, I will... Anyway last night I took it out for dinner, before it gets bolted under the car out of sight for good. Tandoori dog bone, anyone?

Posted Image

Posted Image

However, the plot thickens... This morning I was flicking through my Haynes and spotted an undercar photo, then had a proper look under my car while out shopping... yes, the EIP dog bone is actually (unless I'm gravely mistaken) a standard VW part painted blue with a sticker on it! Last time I looked I couldn't see clearly enough, but the EIP part has exactly the same casting features, and in the top-down photo above you can see where it seems to have been skimmed to remove the VW embossed logos and part numbers. I must say when I first got it, I noticed a suspiciously OEM-looking bolt, and the smaller of the two bushes also looked very OEM, with two voids in it, just like a wishbone rear bush.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I'm being very picky, even the supposedly uprated main bush looks like OEM rubber, but then they suggest this part is good for the 1.8T and R32 as well. So it certainly won't be any stronger than the factory mount or anywhere near the more costly VF Engineering mount, it's all down to the rubber compound. I've sat in my car today revving and getting a feel for the vibrations.

Stay tuned for the next episode: fitting and testing [:)]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
To me that looks Exactly like a standard mount just painted blue.

Ive got my old mount in the garage, I can take a photo of that for you if you want?

might be worth removing the large rubber bush from the end and looking for VW/AUDI logo's Though it must be uprated if they are marketing it as a 1.8/R32 item.

That said I bought a new R32 one for my TDI 150, Which didnt feel any different to the knackered old one I had really. VF engineering for me I think next

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is done!

My parts guy could only find 3 of the 4 bolts on ETKA (he couldn't work out which I needed from the variations in the diagram and ended up ordering all of them [:|]) so I've re-used the smaller of the two on the gearbox end, the instructions supplied by EIP actually tell you to re-use the old bolts anyway and give new, slightly higher torque specs.

Posted Image

Here are some before and after videos - forgot that my camera has zoom-by-wire so didn't quite get exactly the same framing between takes when the camera was off. It sounds much better in real life, too.

5 year old VW mount

EIP Tuning mount

Vibration in the cabin is increased, the idle is not as smooth feeling as before but it's well within the bounds of what I'd call acceptable for a road car that's mildly tuned. Not too hardcore. If anything there is more to be felt through the steering wheel than the gear stick. It defiitely requires quicker and smoother inputs when changing gears at low speeds, for example doing three-point turns otherwise there is some conspicuous judder.

The old dog bone is a sorry sight indeed, perhaps I'll need to take pictures.

Anyway, I'm off for a drive through country roads later, let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
771 Posts
So whats the verdict?  Tempted by one of these myself.  Fed up with the vibrations from the powerflex bushes on my PD150 Anni.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, it's good [Y]

Done a lot of driving with it now. Gear changes are that bit slicker. When you start the car, the starter motor sounds/feels much more spritely, which is a nice feeling, even if it's just a side effect.

On mine (1.6 16V) it idles just a tad harsher than stock, but when I switch on the a/c, the idle becomes suddenly quite harsh, the steering wheel judders badly. I think this is down to simple mechanics stuff, because if I then blip the throttle, still in neutral, the harshness goes away for a moment. Basically different idle/revs have different levels of vibration. In normal driving, it feels really smooth, but due to the stiffer bushes you still have to be very quick and precise with the gear changes or you'll get some juddering.

Most importantly though, if you get the blue one with a sticker it feels like you're going faster [:D][Y]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts