Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to upgrade my suspension from OE. I can't afford coilovers, so I want to go for the next best thing. Looking at Eibach Pro kit and Koni shocks. Looking for pics of this kind of setup with about a 35mm or 40mm drop... Let see them ....

Cheers

Sope

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul ... looks damn nice

What are the options with the Koni shocks ? I'm looking at dropping it about 35mm because the roads are not great in Dublin, espescially in the city...

Sope

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not got any decent pics just now but can't praise this setup enough.

Had a track day yesterday and the car was phenomenal! [:D]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Paul how do you find the ride quality of your set up from the gti suspension in terms of comfort and handling?? I would love to lower my gti but the roads in ireland are cat, i find it a bit hard with the gti set up and 16" wheels and 55 profile, i had to put 215/55/16 tyres on the rear to get more comfort and at that i did, so i'm thinking if i put 17" alloys on car and drop it 25mm/30mm i bet i wouldn't have a comfy car even if i put a 50 profile 225/50/17 or 235/45/17, Have you paul or any one have any ideas or information on how to gat a comfy ride by droping it and putting 17" rims on??

tanx

alan

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have Eibach -30mm Pro Kit springs and Koni adjustable dampers on my Anni and also had this setup on my PD130 which ran 17" Santas.

In my view it is the perfect compromise for a variety of road conditions, passengers etc.

-50mm looks great but....

as for the setup being inferior to coilovers, thats only the case if you are unsatisfied with the ride height, want to change it around, or want to really slam the car.

Sounds to me like you have already hit on the right solution.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Paul ... looks damn nice

What are the options with the Koni shocks ? I'm looking at dropping it about 35mm because the roads are not great in Dublin, espescially in the city...

Sope

I'm in Dublin too and have decided to fit some OE bilsteins (10%-15% stiffer dampers) and -30mm eibach springs with neuspeed rear anti-roll bar. Should be getting the lot fitted in about 2 weeks (as soon as the shocks arrive). Btw, I'm running a 1.8T on 18" RS4's and I already think the ride is a bit harsh on most roads here - I'm actually trying to find a set of 17's to replace the 18's.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote: posted by alan farrell on 13/03/2005 22:33:29

Paul how do you find the ride quality of your set up from the gti suspension in terms of comfort and handling?? I would love to lower my gti but the roads in ireland are cat, i find it a bit hard with the gti set up and 16" wheels and 55 profile, i had to put 215/55/16 tyres on the rear to get more comfort and at that i did, so i'm thinking if i put 17" alloys on car and drop it 25mm/30mm i bet i wouldn't have a comfy car even if i put a 50 profile 225/50/17 or 235/45/17, Have you paul or any one have any ideas or information on how to gat a comfy ride by droping it and putting 17" rims on??

tanx

alan

I'm in Dublin and the roads are crap so on my last 1.8T I fitted the eibach -30mm spings on new standard VW sports shocks with std 16" monty's (205/55) and the ride was no different to stock. Handling was improved - no lotus elise but much better than stock and I could punt along much faster on the twisties up around Enniskerry and Jonny Fox's with these springs fitted - nice compromise if you ask me.... this time around I'm going with slightly uprated shocks too - see above

·
Registered
99 Posts
A question for Reflix TDI, as much as i know the Anni suspension is the same as the GTI, i see you are running -30mm eibach and koni adjustables, is that set up much more or the same comfort as the stock GTI suspension??

tanx

alan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi shane,

Tanx for that info, i don't know what i'm gona do, to get springs alone or koni dampners and eibach springs,

If the koni dampners and eibach springs ere more comfy than the gti stock set up i will get after market set up then.

alan

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote: posted by alan farrell on 14/03/2005 17:43:47

Hi shane,

Tanx for that info, i don't know what i'm gona do, to get springs alone or koni dampners and eibach springs,

If the koni dampners and eibach springs ere more comfy than the gti stock set up i will get after market set up then.

alan

I just ordered a set of bilstein B4 Gas dampers from awesome - 15% uprated on the stock VW sports shockers. They were slightly more expensive than motorsport world at ?180 + VAT (includes delivery) - works out around 300 euro (about 30 euro more than motorsport world). But they're in stock and I should have them in a couple of days (whereas motorsport world had a 2-3 week wait).

Have to say there is a lot to be said for being able to ring a shop and get a definite and quick answer when enquiring about a part or looking for advice on what part to fit - cheers to awesome for that.

Alan, if you're in Dublin or close to Dublin and want to meet up after I've had the shockers, springs and arb fitted to get a feel for what the ride is like just let me know.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Here's a pic of mine on 30mm Eibach Pro-Kit springs. The ride quality is excellent but TBH the ride height is all over the place. IMO the back end sits too high and the left side is roughy 5mm higher than the right. In terms of quality though you can't better than Koni and Eibach.

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by alan farrell on 14/03/2005 17:38:28

A question for Reflix TDI, as much as i know the Anni suspension is the same as the GTI, i see you are running -30mm eibach and koni adjustables, is that set up much more or the same comfort as the stock GTI suspension??

tanx

alan

Alan, comfort-wise the setup is nearly as good as the stock GTI suspension. I reckon it would be the same if I had the dampers on the softest setting, but I have them set halfway. This compromise works for me, for fast road, trackdays, and taking the family about (14-month old son & pregnant wife![:I])

My setup involves;

Eibach -30mm Pro Kit

Koni Sport (yellow) adjustable dampers - set halfway

H&R anti-roll bar kit front and rear

Powerflex bushes throughout.

As a whole, this is way more focussed than the standard setup. The car has poise and composure over undulating surfaces, better traction, flatter cornering etc etc. What it should have left the factory like IMO.

It sits the same as Cluke's in the pic, but I don't have any issues with it being "all over the place". Maybe a 4-wheel laser alignment would improve things Cluke?[??]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 14/03/2005 22:11:19

It sits the same as Cluke's in the pic, but I don't have any issues with it being "all over the place". Maybe a 4-wheel laser alignment would improve things Cluke?[??]

Tried the alignment thing Reflex but no joy, it's definately the way the springs have settled but thanks for the suggestion. Anyway it wont be an issue before too long as I'm havng Koni coilovers fitted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tanx for that reflix koni and eibach's on the way, by the way what size rims are you carrying? i guess the anni rims? and what size tyres??

tanx

alan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Shane,

Ya i be on for that anytime, when you plan to get all fitted??

It would be gud to have a few more lads come along and have a small meet.

alan

·
Registered
961 Posts
do a search for a recent thread with picures of blue golfs. in that is my old MKiv with Koni shocks and a 35mm drop,

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by alan farrell on 16/03/2005 00:26:14

Tanx for that reflix koni and eibach's on the way, by the way what size rims are you carrying? i guess the anni rims? and what size tyres??

tanx

alan

Anni BBS alloys(would be sacrilege to mess with an Anni, regardless of the corrosion problem) with 225/40/18 tyres (Pirelli P-Zero Nero)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts