Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone using either of the above setups on 18" wheels got any pics of thier cars as I can't make up my mind on which to get as I have heard that coillovers can be a bit harsh and don't want to loose too much of the ride quality or for the car to be dropped more than 40/45 mm max.

Also peoples experiences of these setups would be great to!

Thanks

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I fitted a Koni Sport kit from Awesome to my 1.9 GT TDi recently and am more than happy with it.

It lowered mine by 30-35mm (depending on how its parked) and doesnt look ridiculously low, just looks right! (see pic below). Thats with 18" A8's

Main difference is in the handling, the car is 100 times more enjoyable to drive. No more bouncy boatiness, no more vague, light steering and understeer. It just really holds the road well and gives me so much more feedback through the steering now.

The front are top adjustable, once fitted you can adjust the rebound of the shocks with an adjuster at the top of the strut by opening the bonnet and turning the adjusters with the special key thing you get with them. I started off with mine set on a medium setting but found that a little hard on the road to my village as its really bumpy so slackened it off to the softest setting and its great now.

With the rears they are also adjustable but can only be adjusted when the shocks are off the car (not a big job if ever you need to adjust them). Its just a case of putting the end of the shock rod in a vice and compressing the shock all the way, this engages the adjusting mechanism and you then turn the shock body one way for softer and the other for harder. I set mine to a medium setting before putting them on the car and they feel spot on. I also tow a bike trailer with 2 motorbikes on sometimes and it still feels great with that extra weight on the rear.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Hope this helps!

Guy

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, think that definetly covers the Koni side of things (car looks great btw!).

Anyone with the Eibach & Bilstein combination with advice & pics as would like to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have just been pondering over the this same decision (albeit not for a MKIV) and in the end I decided on the Bilstein set-up.

The Bilstein B12 kit for the MKIV comes with H&R springs, but it can also come with Eibach springs. Or are you refering to a B4 / Eibach combo?

I don't know of anyone using this kit on their MKIV on this forum, but Julian from www.balancemotorsport.co.uk (http://uk-mkivs.net/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=12010) fitted a kit to a customers MKIV Golf last week, with the following comments from the owner:

"the car feels so much better, fantastic! feels really sturdy when cruising along the motorway, and tight in corners. And the Bilstein kit is perfect, not rock solid, but planted."

·
Registered
442 Posts
HI, I have asked the same question my self and have had some good feedback from the Eibach / Bilstein combo. I had my mind set on having this set up put on my Golf but having just read the great report on the Koni sport kit, I am now un-decided! I think they are both probably very good setups.

I like the comfort of the standard set up but want better cornering. I assume both koni and eibach/bilstein set ups will give me this but my question is which is the softer set up?

Phil

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I was reffering to the B4's. How much would I be looking at a B12 kit with H&R springs, also do you have any pics?

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
I wouldn't really compare the b4's to konis, different set up! the b4's are not a sport shock.

For this you need to be looking at the b8's but they are quite a bit more expensive that the

koni kit.

personally i would do the konis, and if you fancy, put the eibach springs with them

(koni shock are not much cheaper on their own, so get the kit and sell the springs

if you fancy the eibach springs!!!!)

Hope this helps

Dean

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to interupt but whats the best price you can do a car set delivered for my 2000 v6 4motion. I am keen to order soon as the handling scares the hell out of me when pushing it a bit hard! Any deals for group purchase?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would like the price on the Koni sport set!
Awesome Gti have their own forum section here.

I believe they charge ?10 delivery for the koni kits, so the price would be: ?330 + ?10 + VAT = ?399.50 delivered.

The R32 ARB's are also a worthwhile addition to the 4motion chassis.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The front are top adjustable, once fitted you can adjust the rebound of the shocks with an adjuster at the top of the strut by opening the bonnet and turning the adjusters with the special key thing you get with them. I started off with mine set on a medium setting but found that a little hard on the road to my village as its really bumpy so slackened it off to the softest setting and its great now.
your car looks nice and low at 35mm! I've got my?Koni Sport kit all boxed up and can't wait to get them fitted. Are yours the yellow ones? On the softest setting do you find these roughly comparable to the standard VW suspension, comfort-wise??

In terms of handling did you notice much deterioration when going from the medium setting to the softest??

Given that the rears ought to be setup before they go on do you recommend those to be set to the softest setting too if the fronts are the same, or are you completely happy with these being on medium?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
101 Posts
garfie,

ive got eibach prokit springs on standard shocks and the car looks nose-down which is what i didnt want.will the koni sportkit give a (squat)nose-up look which is what i'm looking for or at least a level car look which is also acceptable.

do u think if i put my eibach springs with the koni sport kit i might get a different looking drop or is dependant on the dampers?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't really compare the b4's to konis, different set up! the b4's are not a sport shock.

For this you need to be looking at the b8's but they are quite a bit more expensive that the

koni kit.

personally i would do the konis, and if you fancy, put the eibach springs with them

(koni shock are not much cheaper on their own, so get the kit and sell the springs

Hope this helps

Dean
Thanks for all the advice, ordered the Koni set of you guys 2 days ago and I believe they are on thier way, can't wait to get them on the car!!![:D]

Will try and post some 'before' & 'after' shots when done (maybe a couple of weeks)[Y]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good work fella!

I'm going to do the same (before and after pics), except I'm going for the Bilstein B4 / Eibach set up.

I dont realy want a firm sport shock, I would use standard shocks if mine wernt already badgered! So I am going for the B4 shock for a 10% firmer ride and the Eibachs to stop the body roll and to make it look niiiiiice, I like!

I know the Konis are adjustable, but I know I want a soft ride so the B4's will be fine.

I'm not too bothered about it not being perfectly level, so long as it looks medium low and is a comfy ride... I'll be a happy chappy!

Phil

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Mate

The 4 mo kit is ?330.00 + VAT

Postage as said is ?10.00 + VAT

Total ?399.50 all in delivered

But I will say we cannot do any deals with this I am afraid

It is the lowest price in the country and we cannot offer any discount or it would cost us to send it to you

Sarah

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

koni kit.

Hope this helps

Dean
Thanks for all the advice, ordered the Koni set of you guys 2 days ago and I believe they are on thier way, can't wait to get them on the car!!![:D]

Will try and post some 'before' & 'after' shots when done (maybe a couple of weeks)[Y]
Not long to go now Russ

They are all built up and sitting at work waiting to be fitted after new yeay[:D]

·
2,166 Posts
your car looks nice and low at 35mm! I've got my Koni Sport kit all boxed up and can't wait to get them fitted. Are yours the yellow ones? On the softest setting do you find these roughly comparable to the standard VW suspension, comfort-wise?

In terms of handling did you notice much deterioration when going from the medium setting to the softest?

Given that the rears ought to be setup before they go on do you recommend those to be set to the softest setting too if the fronts are the same, or are you completely happy with these being on medium?

thanks in advance!
Oops, just realised some replies from me are called for!

Yes mine are the yellow Koni's with the blue Koni springs.
On the softest setting they are noticeably firmer than standard shocks but are not harsh at all. Just firmer and well in control of that unwanted body roll. They dont crash over the bumps or anything like that and do fully absorb the bumps, just without the wallowing of the standard setup.

As I live down a really bumpy road I only ran the fronts on the medium setting for about 10 miles when I fitted them to the car. I found this setting to not be a good match for the frequency and amount of bumps down this road, like they were overdamped and couldn't respond quickly enough to the bumps. So I changed them to the softest setting and they are now set perfectly to the road. Due to only the short time I ran the fronts on the medium setting I cannot comment on the handling. I am positively sure that if you drive reasonably good quality roads the medium setting on the front would work well and would probably give better handling as I feel mine is sometimes a bit underdamped on decent roads.

I run the rears on medium and have done since fitting them to the car. I dont find them too hard at all but would like to run them on the softest setting too to see how they feel. I also wanted to leave them a little harder as I tow a trailer with my race bike on during the summer months and thought this might help. I've never felt that the rear is too hard or overdamped.
Now the winter is here I would like to try them on the soft setting and will probably change them when I put my standard alloys back on at the weekend. As far as I can see all I will need to do is remove the bottom bolt from the shock to adjust it then bolt it back in, no need to remove the whole shock.

·
2,166 Posts
garfie,

ive got eibach prokit springs on standard shocks and the car looks nose-down which is what i didnt want.will the koni sportkit give a (squat)nose-up look which is what i'm looking for or at least a level car look which is also acceptable.

do u think if i put my eibach springs with the koni sport kit i might get a different looking drop or is dependant on the dampers?
Meelas, ride height is controlled by the springs, the dampers have no real effect on this. One manufacturers springs may well vary from anothers so its hard to comment whether the Koni springs will level things up for you or not.

What is worth noting is that I replaced the front top mount bushes (and bearings) when I fitted my Koni's. The original ones had compressed by about 10mm compared to the new ones, so in theory with the old ones fitted the front end of mine could have sat up to 10mm lower than it does now. Perhaps this is what is causing your nose down look. See the pic below to see what I mean:
Posted Image

Fitting the same Eibach springs on the koni dampers is unlikely to alter how the car sits. I am pretty sure it would sit the same as it does now. The only difference is that the handling would be greatly increased with the Koni dampers fitted

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not long to go now Russ

They are all built up and sitting at work waiting to be fitted after new yeay[:D]
Can't wait mate, the sooner I replace the 'tractor' suspension on the car at the mo the better!!!! Much appreciated by the way fella.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts