Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo!

I was wondering if anyone can help, I'm going to steer away as hard as poss from modding me new car and want to do some maintenance instead!

Can anyone locate me some instructions on removing and cleaning the EGR system on my GT TDI 115 since I want to do it right and once only! Any info on intake pipework cleaning would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks regards Jamie

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Don't there is much info on the PD, the best place to look is on TDI.com, a US / Canadian site and they use a different EGR system to us here, so no real help really.

However a common sense approach to cleaning is all you need. Just make sure you take off one hose / component at a time and make sure you have any gaskets / seals before work commences. That way you are sure to remember where everything goes back.

I would also say that unless you have a compressed air supply at home to blow things through to ensure everything is really clean, you may do more harm than good by dislodging bits of crud etc.

How many miles has your car done ? I'm up to 82k and have only checked 'me' pipes once since I got the car at 71k, they were fine. The intercooler hoses were / are damp with egr gas residue (oily film) and of more concern to me would be that I think eventually the intercooler itself will need a clean out.

But judging by the state of general cleanliness of all the other components, I never actually looked at the egr valve itself. I know you can turn the egr 'down' via vag-com but I don't think it's really that neccessary over here. (US diesel is rubbish, has a massively high sulphur content compared to ours). All I'd say is that you shouldn't always drive your car like your Mum trying to get the best MPG, give it a good ragging as well now and then to blow out 'your' pipes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Collin

Thanks for your message I see your point of view and will have a look tomorrow, my car has done 100k now and was last serviced at 95k. I'm hopeful that cleaning the maf will give better performance and maybe slightly better fuel economy since i was hoping i would be getting more than 40 mpg out of it.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation - emissions control that lets the engine breahe some exhaust gas to clean the exhaust output.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
That was point in my earlier post,no information on the PD engine hence; take one thing off at a time so you know where it goes back. Also take a digi photo for reference as well. Don't know when a Haynes Manual is ever going to come out for the Pd engine, and I have decided that going down the ER-Win route is too expensive.

Also, having read lots of threads about it... ... I'd suggest it is your MAF thats causing your problems anyway. Other causes of high fuel consumption can be fuel temp sensor or air temp sensor or coolant sensor. HOWEVER, a process of buying sensor after sensor can be very expensive and may still not cure your problem. Best to get the car read for fault codes i'd say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally, IF you're going to clean it, i'd take the whole thing off the car, clean it, open the valve (not sure if it's open frame actuator so you can do it by hand, or whether you need vac) and blow all the debris from the cleaning operation out. I'd also put copper slip on all the bolt threads during re-assembly and fit new gaskets.

If you do it on the car, your bound to have probelms getting all the debris out and gaskets to re-seal properly IMO.

M.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, many thanks for all of your help I cleaned the EGR and inlet manifold whilst they were off of the car this weekend and despite ensuring all was very clean it still drove like poo for about four drives, until the fueling reset I guess! J,)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
ct.p, My car was eating more fuel until I plugged the vacuum hose into the EGR valve - guess it just became more clogged recently because of the tuning box!

Not whipped it off for a clean yet but fuel consumption is up from an average 68mpg back to 76mpg

BlackSeedyEye, did you replace the inlet manifold gasket or just reuse the existing one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote: posted by Mister_E on 29/11/2004 07:59:00

ct.p, My car was eating more fuel until I plugged the vacuum hose into the EGR valve - guess it just became more clogged recently because of the tuning box!

Not whipped it off for a clean yet but fuel consumption is up from an average 68mpg back to 76mpg

BlackSeedyEye, did you replace the inlet manifold gasket or just reuse the existing one?

..what vacuum hose? 76mpg, blimey how you driving the thing?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My car took about 5 to 10 miles before it adjusted itself to the increased air flow from the cleaning of the inlet body and increase in intercooler pipe mod I performed

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote: posted by heirpin on 29/11/2004 23:09:53

..what vacuum hose? 76mpg, blimey how you driving the thing?

Erm, the hose attached to the top of the EGR valve - just pull it and plug it until you have time to clean the EGR valve and intake.

As for the mpg, it's partially due to my turning box - speed buster one.

My personal best for a journey is over 85mpg - will post a pic that I took with my mobile soon for this.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Does the EGR valve vent exhaust into the engine bay when it's actuated instead of the inlet tract drawing it back into the engine or did you plug the hose and the valve itself ?

Has anyone tackled cleaning out the intercooler yet ? I think thats the place where the goo would collect more than anywhere. Also when I pulled the top hose off to install my boost gauge, the inlet tract didn't seem that dirty, were yours that bad.

and... 76 / 85 mpg !!!

What is it your driving ?

I could only ever possibly hope to achieve that if I reset the MFD whilst moving on a flat road and drive at 40-45 mph.

My work journey is 46 miles one way and including a cold start the best i've ever got on it is 64 mpg.... and I drove like a granny to get that. I've averaged 46mpg since i've had the car and rarely drive like a granny.

Please let me know your secret to 85mpg !!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its the other side of the inlet body that gets dirty with gunk not the hose side, as that is where the soot etc mixes with the oil vapor air from the intercooler. You will see what I mean when you come to clean it

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yep, but once mixed it gets pushed through the hoses and intercooler before going in the engine... ... the inlet itself between the air filter and egr valve should be spotless...it's the intercooler itself + hoses i'm talking about. How dirty were those compared to your egr valve. As I've said mine are clean(ish) just a light oily residue BUT if yours were similar and the EGR was 'caked' I'd be interested as mine could need a clean if this is the case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts