Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be me being stupid but below is what happened to me last night - can anyone explain?

Parked up at petrol station with mate in car so I left keys in ignition (turned all the way off) with radio on. Put petrol in, paid and got back in car - went to start the engine and the keys just kept turning in the ignition barrel - spinning round and round and round! Nothing changed on my dash no battery lights or anything that normally happens when you turn the key - at this point I was shatting it cos I'm not in AA or anythin and was thinkin how to shift the car out of the way! Turned the keys back and forth loads of times, it kept spinning the barrel but not turning anything on! Took the key out put it back in and everything was fine - started straight away!

Is this wierd or what?

Was thinkin today it could be some kind of immobiliser / security device but a rubbish one!

Dunno if it helps but the radio had also turned itself off when I was away.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Not a clue, never experienced that in mine. When my immobilizer kicks in the engine starts then stalls within a second or so.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's crazy! just wondered if it happened to anyone else?

I've had the car about 8 months now and it's never happened before - hasn't happened in the 3 or 4 times I've drove the car since yesterday either!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i remember this happeneing in a customers M3 i was getting the windows titned for

turned out to be a ringer as well (long story how he found out)

best get it checked

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it might be something to do with the fact that I was using a massive screwdriver! Just kidding it was my key and I just used standard force to turn it. Very strange - if it ever happens again I'll get it checked - other than that I'll just leave it and hope it doesn't happen again.

I'm pretty confident it's never been stolen before as I got it fully HPI'd before I got it.

Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 18/01/2005 20:50:17

I know that Golf's have rotating ignition barrels(security), so when they are forced they just rotate.

But your's is the first I've actually heard of it happening!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my mate was in the car

Quote: posted by Caged on 19/01/2005 08:23:06

You leave the keys in it when you go to pay for petrol? Are you mad?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
[legend]

I'm pretty confident it's never been stolen before as I got it fully HPI'd before I got it.

well i knew a guy who bought an XR2 years ago that had only one lady owner from new and a full history with no accidents

however it turned out that the car had been written off by the not so nice boyfriend who then got the car ringered rather than go through the insurance. Only when it had went into ford for a bit of work was it discovered

so even when you think you have a minted car with no accident history it may still be a pig in a poke

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know about accident damage - and my car's had none.

I also know for a fact that my car is not a ringer.

The thing I wasn't sure about was whether it had ever been nicked or attempted to, especially since I had a break-in last year where they took my radio - No damage at all to the lock barrel as far as I could / can see so at the time I thought they didn't attempt to steal it - maybe they did? I doubt it tho - and since the key spinning the barrel has still never happened again I reckon it was just a freak incident.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please ignore my above post - the car is a ringer and me and the police have just took it down the scrapyard to be crushed. Shame like especially since I'm still paying a fortune for it - but Craig GSI diagnosed it over the net so I didn't want to risk driving it anymore.

Apparently the bloke I bought it off lent it to his mates uncles aunties cousin who drove it off a cliff. They then welded the back end of it to the new front end of a white jag and sold it to me.

It's funny how you find these things out isn't it? All because my key span in the ignition barrel! Lucky it happened or I would never have suspected it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah It's in a big crushed metal block now - I'm gutted.

I always thought it was wierd that the front was white and the back was black - it did look cool tho - one of the best looking cars I've ever had - totally original!

Quote: posted by iaincoleman on 21/01/2005 10:17:26

WHAT???!!!

So your car is a ringer??!!

Or am I not awake yet?!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah them centre arm rests are evil things - tell tale signs of a ringer I've heard.

If you've got one take it out and send it to me - I'll take them off your hands and won't even charge you. If the coppers see one of them in your car they immediately impound it - that's what PC Bobby Plod from Northumbria Police arm rest reduction section said to me this morning anyway at the crushers.

Quote: posted by blazedoobie on 21/01/2005 11:06:22

pmsl....i found mine was a ringer because of a center arm rest...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Quote: posted by leefrizz on 21/01/2005 10:09:18

Please ignore my above post - the car is a ringer and me and the police have just took it down the scrapyard to be crushed. Shame like especially since I'm still paying a fortune for it - but Craig GSI diagnosed it over the net so I didn't want to risk driving it anymore.

Apparently the bloke I bought it off lent it to his mates uncles aunties cousin who drove it off a cliff. They then welded the back end of it to the new front end of a white jag and sold it to me.

It's funny how you find these things out isn't it? All because my key span in the ignition barrel! Lucky it happened or I would never have suspected it.

did i say YOURS was a ringer?

no i said the same thing with the barel had happened to a guy with an M3 that was

why did you ask for adive then take the fliping p1ss you wally?

nice to see the old attatude of the UK MKIV kicking up again

one ass hole takes the p1ss and all join in

well tbh i hope the fukcing thing jams when you driving cos with an atatude like that you deserve it [email protected] piece

1 - 20 of 29 Posts