Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!

I just had my ECU remaped a month ago, but i've been out of the UK, and i only had time to come here now to expose my experience...

i don't have any dyno test yet, but i should have around 170bhp...

the ecu remap is costume....you just say how do u want it to be...

The car is just great....the torque is all there during all the rpm...not just a quick on the start...but is very linear...and i can fell the power in any gear, even in 6th...i already went up to 225Km/h...and i had more if i want to....it's great!!!

If i step on the pedal in 6th gear at 120Km/h...i can feel it going...and going...

if someone wants to try it, i'm in Reading and i can take you for a spin.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
better then any Upsolute...revo..bla,bla,bla....and reliable, and done from someone that REALLY knows what he's doing, and not just another garage that buy the maps from a main dealer and says that they know what they are doing....and cheaper...

Have you driven other cars with these remaps? In what way is your custom remap better? I find it hard to believe that it can be significantly different as there's only so many parameters that can be altered on the tdi.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
So basically you've driven an upsoluted car. What about REVO, APR, AMD, Superchips, Jabba? Are these all the same - no. The number of parameters that can be changed on the TDi are less than that of the petrol, yes some of it is amount of fuel, but it's also boost pressure etc. I think REVO change 13 parameters. The only difference a custom remap can make is if you have the car dyno'd whilst its being done and you ask for specific performance parameters - eg: you want more low down grunt, or more top end speed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So let me get this straight, your saying an upsolute remap only turns up the injection pressure?

if thats the case it wont be worth my while changing from my current tuningbox [:(]

please clarify as i am in the process of arranging a meet with Simon Coe (upsoloute) for the end of august.

so the ?305 would be better spent on a bigger turbo ?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
No he's saying it increases fuelling much the same as a tuning box. I don't think a big turbo is necessarily that good. I went up against a hybrid turbo'd 150PD at Bruntingthorpe and left it for dead.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Jotape,

Your making some very sweeping statements here without backing up your comments. Give us some proof.

Most of what you have said is just what you've been told by the person who did your remap which is basically just biased publicity speak. Also you've not had the car dyno'd so what you are experiencing is probably just the huge difference compared to the car in standard form. There is vast experience of re-mapping on this forum and you need to back up your rather arrogant claims with more than just advertising speak.

By the way my experience of remaps is very limited too. I've only driven my own Upsoluted car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No way would I let anyone mess with my ECU who sounds like they work for the secret service.

I want back up / warranty on work - like the big outfits can offer, if this guy is so good and genuine why cant we see his details?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote: posted by Jotape on 12/08/2004 12:01:24

This ecu remaps are available only once per month, and the next one will be during the week of 23 of August.

So the Remap Godfather gets day release from prison only once a month then?[:D]

·
Registered
512 Posts
My point is that with a proffesional outfit you can take the car back if its starts misbehaving etc - would you have to wait a month to get this guy to look at it?

So some places are purely distributers for ECU code - so what? I buy Guuci sunglasses from my optician on the highstreet - they didnt make them but still fine to buy them, and if they go wrong I takr them back to the shop. The entire world runs on distrubtion through outlets.

I am not doubting your guy at all mate, I personally just wouldnt let him near my car. Its also wrong to slate Revo/Jabba etc when they are a great product, personal prefference this.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Quote: posted by Jotape on 13/08/2004 08:42:45

Well...it's more complicated that this sounds...i don't want to sell anything or neither i'm getting nothing out of this...

I

We're not suggesting you're trying to sell anything. It's just that you're giving these opinions based on what one person told you. You said that you had driven different cars with remaps but unless the cars were exactly the same then your tests are pretty worthless IMO.

I just think that's absurd to give all that money to some places that remap your car, and they don't even know what they are doing, they just buy the pre-made file.

This pre made file has probably had huge amount of money spent research, development and testing.

I tought that would be fair, if someone is going to give money, to have something proper done to the car.

There are many many people who have had something 'proper' done to their car by Revo, Jabba, AMD, Upsolute. You really should not imply that other peoples choices are not 'proper' unless you can back up the claim.

All i can say is that this guy is connected to a racing team, that's why i can't give more details here, as this forum is read by a lot of people.

I know someone in a race team that makes the tea. This doesn't make him an expert on engine re-mapping.

About the warranty...try to blow up a turbo and then reclaim to Upsolute to see what they say.....sorry, you weren't carefull enough with your car, upsolute maps are done with high reliability...

I think if you had blown your turbo as a result of a remap, you would have more chance of satisfaction from an established company such as Revo than if you had used someone who does it in their spare time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well..it wasn't my intention to bring this experience to this kind of discussion.

I didn't want to mean arrogant or something like that or even say that revo or whatever are crap...

i was just saying what i know by experience, and yes i already tried a lot of cars, with and without remaps.

Sorry about that, i take out what i said.

friends again.[:D]

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Quote: posted by Jotape on 13/08/2004 09:07:32

Well..it wasn't my intention to bring this experience to this kind of discussion.

Sorry about that, i take what i said.

Don't worry mate, I'm not getting at you, sorry if I sound harsh. I'm very interested in what you've got to say.

It's just that what you're saying sounds like "what I've got is great and all you other people are stupid for spending your money on rubbish."

[:X]

Edit: JP, there was no need to delete your posts. We are all here to discuss our experiences with our VW's. You are completely entitled to your own opinion, whatever it is. Even if you came on here and said that Portugal are better than England at football (oh yeah, you did that already [:D]). That's your opinion and it's fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for deleting the posts...but now it's done.

The guy wants to keep anonymous due to his dedication to the team, so i can't reveal anything.

Try to understand like this:

You have a mate that is the best guy on software, and he does all the good things for Microsoft(not that microsoft is the best...but lets suppose it is..lol), he's one of the best in the world and everyone is after him to work for them.

He will do you the best Windows version just for you, that one that no one can achieve, and like the one he does for Microsoft.

But...u can't tell anyone because Bill Gates wouldn't appreciate that....

LOL...did u like my comparison?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by PJ on 13/08/2004 09:13:41

. Even if you came on here and said that Portugal are better than England at football (oh yeah, you did that already [:D]). That's your opinion and it's fine.

LOL[:D]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts