Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my long weekend away, I left my V5 at my trusted friends, Simon & Andy at GMS in Maidstone, where they managed to complete the following;

110K service,
TT Steering Rack,
R32 Front Calipers,
R32 ECS discs,
Front Hubs,
Front bearings,
Hawk Black pads,
5.1 DOT Mogul brake fluid,
Goodridge braided hoses,
Ingalls Adjustable camber top mounts,
SPC Adjustable camber lower ball joints,
TT front and rear lower wishbone bushes,
Ingalls rear camber adjustment shims,
Rear bearings.

First thing I noticed when collecting the car, just how much heavier and positive the steering now feels. Though I did have one scary moment where I managed to kick the back end out at speed just by steering, no brakes or power off. Now I'm not sure if this is just because of the TT rack, or that the new discs have pushed the front wheels out a little more than before.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice!

I bet that lot set u back a fair penny!

How do the brakes feel so far? more initial bite i presume?
Not too much, I'm hoping to keep the bill for the above and fitting to under ?1,000.

As for the brake feel, I've only done 70 odd miles with them fitted, and find the initial bite less fierce than the OEM 312mm discs I had fitted before, but once you push down hard all you can see/feel is everything slide foward in the cabin then come to a sudden stop.

Booked in for a full camber setup on Thursday before I start to push anything just in case I don't have optimum rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
First thing I noticed when collecting the car, just how much heavier and positive the steering now feels. Though I did have one scary moment where I managed to kick the back end out at speed just by steering, no brakes or power off. Now I'm not sure if this is just because of the TT rack, or that the new discs have pushed the front wheels out a little more than before.
Have you had the camber adjusted with the topmounts and toed the wheels out more? That would be the explanation surely? Great for track use but will you not get uneven tyre wear? (Edit: Sorry just read your last post [:$])

All looks great BTW! [:D]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to be negative, but I think the discs are on the wrong way round, or maybe it?s just the photos. They can be run that way round, but they normally retain the heat too much on the discs and warp?the grooves on the discs will also cut away at the pads to much to cause excess brake dust and major pad wear. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Sorry to say it

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking great! nice list of mods added there! how's the TT rack?
So far so good, the turn ratio has now dropped around 2.2 turns lock to lock, so the steering does feel heavier, but make the car more agile.

70 miles and you were already stamping on the brakes? So much for bedding them in lol.
I just followed the instructions on the pad box, 2 braking sessions from 40 - 10 mph, then one 40-0 mph, and your done.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be negative, but I think the discs are on the wrong way round, or maybe it?s just the photos. They can be run that way round, but they normally retain the heat too much on the discs and warp?the grooves on the discs will also cut away at the pads to much to cause excess brake dust and major pad wear. <o:p></o:p>

Sorry to say it
Looks like you were right Kev;

Hello,

They are on incorrectly, switch them around and
your all set. Let me know if you have any other
questions
Jason
[email protected]
ECS Tuning
Cleveland Massillon Rd.
Norton, Ohio 44203
www.ecstuning.com

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to be negative, but I think the discs are on the wrong way round, or maybe it?s just the photos. They can be run that way round, but they normally retain the heat too much on the discs and warp?the grooves on the discs will also cut away at the pads to much to cause excess brake dust and major pad wear. <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

Sorry to say it
Looks like you were right Kev;

Hello,

They are on incorrectly, switch them around and your all set.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Jason
[email protected]
ECS Tuning
3095 Cleveland Massillon Rd.
Norton, Ohio 44203
www.ecstuning.com
Sorry [:$]... I wish I was wrong

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the discs swapped over yesterday

Posted Image

In all fairness to GMS that fitted them, ECS provide not instruction, bells with the same part numbers and discs that have slots going one direction and vents that go the other, hence the confusion.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
In all fairness to GMS that fitted them, ECS provide not instruction, bells with the same part numbers and discs that have slots going one direction and vents that go the other, hence the confusion.
Good to hear fella...

Sorry to be negative to GMS, as you seem to get on well with them, but they should not have needed instructions for the discs. People in the trade should know which way they go on... all grooved discs should be fitted the way you now have them.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You would also think that a company that develops brakes would test there product fully before releasing it to the market such as poor quality carriers for porsche kits that sheer under load.

But hey nobody's perfect cut them some slack Kev or do you never make mistakes, they have rectified the problem which has not caused anybody any issue's so no harm done everyones a happy camper

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Good to hear fella...

Sorry to be negative to GMS, as you seem to get on well with them, but they should not have needed instructions for the discs. People in the trade should know which way they go on... all grooved discs should be fitted the way you now have them.
Tell that to Aston Martin - they supply the DB7 DT with forward facing slots;

Posted Image

My ECS are the right way around BTW [;)]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Good to hear fella...

Tell that to Aston Martin - they supply the DB7 DT with forward facing slots;

Posted Image

My ECS are the right way around BTW [;)]
lol...lol...lol... ok James maybe I should amend my comment to normal road cars then...lol...lol...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts