Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just browsing ECS site and have found this;

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?home=Volkswagen

Winter time is development time at ECS, and hot out of the development department are the new Stage 5 brake kits for VW MKIV, MKIII and Audi TT. These kits all feature a 14.1"(359x32mm) 2piece ECS "Tru-Float" Rotors and massive 6 piston mono-bloc Porsche calipers. These kits have been designed to compliment the stock bias and offer the best braking performance we?ve seen to date.

I have the 332mm Stage 2v2 with 4-pot Boxster callipers and they are awesome enough[8D]. These will be mind-blowing[:O].

Posted Image

Available from forum sponsor JBR Performance....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
To quote the Prodge.. "Oh my god, that's some funky s.h.1.t !"

They remind me of the BTCC discs n calipers.. mad ! you'd need F1 slicks with those [:D]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Agree with Bill... I run a Porsche set up with Factory caliper (didn't know that when I bought them of mate nor did he...) pad is HUGE on a GT3 rotor and the tyres just run outa grip!....

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by Badger5 on 18/01/2005 10:43:17

surely there's a limit to tyre adhesion?

Have to agree! My Stage 2v2 provides all the braking power I think I could possibly use including track abuse, although my car is obviously not a roller-bearing nutter 1.8T and you get away with similar.

Carlos, I don't think my ABS has ever activated since I fitted the 2v2.

Walrus you tart - about time you changed those puny brakes you have and "really fill the wheel"[:O]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
With all this development time, ECS should do comparative testing. They should fit their various big brake versions to the same car and do a stopping distance test from the same speed. I think this would be useful for anyone interested in buying their products. I know it is not all about stopping distances, but at least this would provide a benchmark, or enable the customer to decide to upgrade further or not.

Their products are out of my league/budget, but even so, it's hard for me to comprehend what results these brakes achieve, without seeing results or experiencing it firsthand, I am sure i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I wonder how long it will be till they make the ceramic disc and pad combos that the McLaren Merc had on TG on sunday night.... the glowing discs ?! That would be crazily expensive.... but TRULY awesome ! [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Baron Von Marlon on 18/01/2005 14:29:32

What does FTP mean ?

an old exclamation from a mate of mine - whenever faced with something like this his comment is "..... The Priest!!!!" Dunno why but it makes me smile[:)].

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 18/01/2005 13:38:28

With all this development time, ECS should do comparative testing. They should fit their various big brake versions to the same car and do a stopping distance test from the same speed. I think this would be useful for anyone interested in buying their products. I know it is not all about stopping distances, but at least this would provide a benchmark, or enable the customer to decide to upgrade further or not.

Their products are out of my league/budget, but even so, it's hard for me to comprehend what results these brakes achieve, without seeing results or experiencing it firsthand, I am sure i'm not the only one.

Talking of experiencing these sorts of big brakes.. I met up with Mr Handa last sept and he gave a blast up and down an A road and we were discussing the brakes and their power and he said to me "Right, to demonstrate, hold on !" 150 yards (ish) from a roundabout, doing, shall we say 'a fair lick' [;)] (no one behind) he 'stomped on the anchors'. OMG.. I swear my internal organs shifted. The car just lost speed dramatically.. so so rapidly; I was astounded and can still recall it perfectly now.

They are truly awesome pieces of kit.. I wish I could justify them.. but I don't have the power or performance to, it'd just be superb to have that ultimate confidence in your brakes, though [:)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
These certainly do look the dogs danglies, and im hoping someone orders a set just so i can have a good look at them![:D] They use Porsche Cayenne Turbo callipers.

Yes, obviously there is a limit to tyre adhesion, but im running the Stage2v2 kit and i cant say ive ever activated the ABS when braking hard... The key is to be progressive rahter than just stomp on them and shock the wheel/tyre... The only time i had the ABS kick in was when it was icy over xmas so doesnt really count! I reckon these would be absolutely amazing used with the stage1rear kit! I reckon the price will also very good considering what your getting.

If anyone wants anything 'ECS', give me a shout!

Rich

1 - 20 of 24 Posts