Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a few months of beating round the bush I've finally done it.
I ordered from TTS the complete ECS Stage 1 Rear and ECS OE 2 Piece R32 Front Discs all for ?1070.

I do think my Anni is gonna look Sexy!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Am I missing something? How are R32-spec front discs going to be compatible with an Anni? Or have you fitted R32 brakes already like Sem?

Anyway if I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's all going to work then congratulations! [:)]

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm following Sems idea. I was gonna go with there 2v2 set up but the R32 are a bit cheaper and look good anyway.

Sem I'll send photos as soon as I get them and after I fit them too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the callipers have had there overhaul which has taken a whole month. From Lots of Nitromours paint stripper, lots of Scrubbing I got them down to a near complete metal finish. With a good friend in the metal workshop deptartment next door, I got him to sandblast the callipers for me. After all that three days of painting and two and a half weeks of drying, they where finally done.

Posted Image

The ECS Tuning Rotor came on Friday too, which made me even more happier as this means on Monday the Anniversary gets a brake upgrade.

Posted Image

So more pictures to come soon!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thats an awesome finish you've achieved there. Well done[Y]. You'll be gutted to see them crudded up with brake dust!

Ooooh - New Discs! [/Clarks] [:D]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
You've done a great job there, did you find my guide handy [;)]

I see you got the braided hoses custom made too [Y]

As Reflex said, it's a shame they won't stay that clean for long lol!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You've done a great job there, did you find my guide handy [;)]

I see you got the braided hoses custom made too [Y]

As Reflex said, it's a shame they won't stay that clean for long lol!
Cheers Sem an Reflex, I know thats the first thing that is gonna happen and its brake dust. [:(] Horrible stuff!

Sem your guide was useful! I recommend that you should of taken the pistons out, makes cleaning easier [:D]

Oh and a big thankyou Sem for the hose info! got BSR-Aerotek to make them, the perfect finsih to them I think!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I know the weather was pretty dull today so here are a few photos. And yes I know the car is dirty, had to drive 55 miles before fitting them.

This is the ride before its ECS upgrade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is the outcome of 5 hours and 30 minutes of hard labour [:O].

Front Off Side Calliper.
Posted Image

Front Near Side with old calliper hanging off in the bottom left.
Posted Image

The front wheel put back on.
Posted Image

And final after a 55 mile journey home this was the piece da resistance!

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I need some of those discs!!

Might be just the pics but I would double check the position/alignment of the 90 degree bends on the brake hoses (caliper end). Mine took a bit of adjustment as it was catching on the ARB droplink when the steering was on full lock.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Front Off Side Calliper.
Posted Image
You've fitted the disc the wrong way round!!!
The internal vains and external grooves are designed to allow the hot air to pass to the outer edge of the disc, the way you have the discs you are forcing air into the centre of the disc.... other than having a poor cooling effect, you will be getting high temps at your CV's and wheel bearings etc.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Front Off Side Calliper.
Posted Image
The internal vains and external grooves are designed to allow the hot air to pass to the outer edge of the disc, the way you have the discs you are forcing air into the centre of the disc.... other than having a poor cooling effect, you will be getting high temps at your CV's and wheel bearings etc.....
Your right they are on the wrong sides....

but they can be run that way round, as the grooves will clean the pads... but the best way to use them and get the best performance would be to swap the sides over.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Front Off Side Calliper.
Posted Image

but they can be run that way round, as the grooves will clean the pads... but the best way to use them and get the best performance would be to swap the sides over.
You "could" get away with it if it didn't have curved internal vains, these discs do, so you have to have them fitted correctly otherwise you will force the hot air / dust back into the centre of the disc / hub.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Front Off Side Calliper.
Posted Image

You "could" get away with it if it didn't have curved internal vains, these discs do, so you have to have them fitted correctly otherwise you will force the hot air / dust back into the centre of the disc / hub.
I follow what you mean... defo change them over

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha ha well after looking at the wrong installation info your all right. Was thinking something was a miss. [:$]

Well I'll have to book the works garage to rectify that one!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts