Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I bought a key fob off ebay for my golf. It had a uncut blade and supposedly only needed cutting and re-programming.

I got it cut and got the remote central locking working no problem.

However, when i took it to VW to have the immobiliser re-coded, they said they could'nt get it to program

So i'm a bit gutted. Cost about £30 with the cutting aswell.

Any ideas.

My car is an 02 Golf gt tdi 130

cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
are you sure that the fob you bought has the same part number as your old key and more importantly has the correct frequency.

My key is HLO 1JO 959 753 N on 343MHZ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i did make sure that i ordered the right one.

I specifically checked the part code and frequency, although, i'm guessing the

frequency is for the remote locking, which works. Its just the immobiliser part.

I don't really want to have to get another key from VW, they charge £160.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i had a similar problem as you, bought fob of ebay and cut key blade, went to vw and they said it would only take 15 min to code and quoted me £25 + VAT, an hour later and im still in service department, the guy come back to me and said sorry fot the delay, as he had problems coding it, but DID manage to do it.

Only other suggestion is, do you know anyone with VAG COM in your area? You could try them, but you will need your SKC code to gain access to the cars Imobiliser to code keys!

Noel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it was VW Burnley, my mate is a sale guy there and reckons the technicians are pretty good.

But they reckoned they couldn't do it.

Did the immobilisers change post 2001, so that the keys can't be written and you need to buy a new one.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have a HLO 1JO 959 753 N, the lower transponder part with the buttons.

Brand new never used or programmed.

Now surplus to requirements. I dont want much for it if it gets you out of a pickle

Let me know

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Baz, i appreciate it, but i think its the key bit that i need.

The part number has the letters HG on the end aswell.

Thanks anyway though.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We have problems with keys coding quite a lot at the moment and when you ask where they came from it is always Ebay. I think i might start asking the name of the seller to see if it the same one.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, it was VW Burnley, my mate is a sale guy there and reckons the technicians are pretty good.

But they reckoned they couldn't do it.

Did the immobilisers change post 2001, so that the keys can't be written and you need to buy a new one.
Yes, I have heard that if you have an earlier IMOB2 device in your car, you can reprogram keyfobs to work in them, using a VAGCOM or by taking it to the dealers. If you have a later one, (possibly post 2001/2) and called IMOB3 then this holds the VIN number of the car and apparently only brand new keys can be programmed to cars fitted with this. (actually start the car and keep it running). Used/secondhand keys that have been coded to another car wont work.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had a guy here on saturday with an audi a4 2000, he had been given a key, he got a new blade cut at coventry, I couldn't program the spare key at all just didn't want to know.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have a HLO 1JO 959 753 N, the lower transponder part with the buttons.

Brand new never used or programmed.

Now surplus to requirements. I dont want much for it if it gets you out of a pickle

Let me know

Cheers

Baz
This is also a genuine VW dealer purchased item BTW, not from ebay. It still has the VW label on it

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have another question, does the key blade section of the unit, i.e. (the actual blade and the plastic with VW logo on it that snaps to the fob) matter? As in I have a blank key blade ready to be cut and also a spare clip that it clips into with the VW logo. Can I get this cut for my car and then as long as the coding of the fob goes well thats it done? I was wondering if the blade part of the keyfob unit has any 'circuits' in it that needs to be a specific part number, or is it just a 'dumb' blade that turns the barrel and the actual fob does all the imob. work?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have another question, does the key blade section of the unit, i.e. (the actual blade and the plastic with VW logo on it that snaps to the fob) matter? As in I have a blank key blade ready to be cut and also a spare clip that it clips into with the VW logo. Can I get this cut for my car and then as long as the coding of the fob goes well thats it done? I was wondering if the blade part of the keyfob unit has any 'circuits' in it that needs to be a specific part number, or is it just a 'dumb' blade that turns the barrel and the actual fob does all the imob. work?
The blade doesn't mater but the part it attaches to holds the imobiliser part, the remote locking part can be removed and the key will still start the car if the imobilser is matched up

·
Registered
752 Posts
so basically even though I have a blank key blade and get it cut, the fact that the blade-holder, the bit the blade clips onto, is second hand (i.e. from a different car) then it wont ever be able to be matched to my car. ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that is what i have found with mine. I have contacted the guy on ebay, he offered to refund me for the fob.

I think it depends on the year of the car, i'm sure i read somwehere that pre-02 car fobs can be re-programmed.

All these guys on ebay seem to sell alot of these and get positive feedback, this is what i can't understand if they dont work. so some people must be getting them working.

So i need a new un-programmed key holder part, h'mm i wonder if i could find one.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I wonder how much the dealer charges for these, i,e. just fob part, not the remote locking unit/remote. I would assume that the remote locking unit that the fob and blade clips into would be the expensive part? (i..e the part with the buttons on it)

*edit

I was getting confused with all this talk of blades and fobs and remote parts, so just to confirm, the blade has nothing in it at all and the fob part with the immobiliser decoder in it that lets you start the car is in the black plastic section , pictured below:

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,440 Posts
The part in the picture does not contain any electronics that effect the immobiliser. -- So (for example) if this was new and you had the correct cut key blade fitted to it, and then attached this to your original fob (lower section) it would work. --------- did for me anyway.

The key blade is just attached with a small roller pin. and there is nothing else in the plastic housing other than the sprung mechanism.

Its the lower half that has the transponder circuit board. And its this part that needs to be encoded by the dealer to your car immobiliser. (its possible get it to remotely open and shut the central locking, but you need the dealer to actually get it to start the car).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts