Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the earliest 180 bhp gti you can get??

Is it a 2001 ??

The reason I ask is I want the ko3s turbo already on when I buy the car.

I want to fit my carbonio (which is on my 2.0 at the moment) milltek, remap, forge 007 DV.

Any advice please guys

Dale

·
Registered
351 Posts
The 180bhp engine was introduced in the Anniversary models in May 2002, and then in nnormal Golfs in October 2002. I'm not sure about the exact dates or the engine code, but I'm ssure someone will help you out.

Also the AUM engined GTI (post 2000?) came with a KO3s turbo and gains of around 55 bhp are normally seen with a remap.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

So all the turbo AUM engines come with the upgraded turbo ( ko3s )???

What sort of gain do you think I wil get with a turboback milltek, carbonio, remap??

Dale

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm sure that all 180bhp versions have the engine code AUQ.  Mines is an 03 non anniversary which is AUQ and my mate has just bought an 02 anni which is also AUQ.  I'm pretty sure the anni's were the first to have this engine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ok

What sort of gain do you think I wil get with a turboback milltek, carbonio, remap??

Dale
It's difficult to say without having seen the car, as each car will be different. But at least 210bhp can be expected with those mods. The clutch will probably have to be upgraded too, as the standard one may not be able to handle the extra torque.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
ok

Dale
Impossible to say how much you'll get until it's all done. All the companies have too much variation in the remaps for you to get an exact number.

I'd ditch the carbonio though as it's pre turbo and a bit of a waste. Just smooth the airbox and use either a stock or drop in panel filter. If you really want to improve power you'll have to concentrate post turbo. In other words put in a decent FMIC and with that combined with a remap and exhaust you'll get an extra 20+ hp over the carbonio which will be lucky to add 2hp.

Baz

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'm sure that all 180bhp versions have the engine code AUQ. Mines is an 03 non anniversary which is AUQ and my mate has just bought an 02 anni which is also AUQ. I'm pretty sure the anni's were the first to have this engine.
I have a 180 non anni 04plate AUQ

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All 180(Golf, Leon, Octy's) are AUQ's arn't they?
I think you are right tbh mate

Will ll the AUQ'S have the KO3s turbo on???

If I cant get the 180bhp I might buy the 150 bhp and get the ko3s fitted after. Would prefer to buy the 180 to save a little hassle. Wwhat would be the best 150 turbo to buy guys??

Dale

·
Registered
351 Posts
To simplify:

AGU - 150bhp - KO3 Turbo, small injectors etc - 185-195bhp after remap

AUM - 150 bhp - KO3s turbo, larger injectors - 210 bhp achievable

AUQ - 180 bhp - KO3s turbo etc - 225 bhp should be seen easily enough

·
Registered
881 Posts
To simplify:

AGU - 150bhp - KO3 Turbo, small injectors etc - 185-195bhp after remap

AUM - 150 bhp - KO3s turbo, larger injectors - 210 bhp achievable

AUQ - 180 bhp - KO3s turbo etc - 225 bhp should be seen easily enough
When re-mapped, the the AUM and AUQ will both give out the same bhp as it is only the ECU programme which is different between the two.

·
Registered
881 Posts
This should also help you out Dale....

AGU (ko3 turbo) - 01/01/1997 - 01/01/2000

ARZ (ko3 turbo) - 01/01/2000 - 31/12/2000

AUM (ko3sport turbo) - 01/01/2000 - 31/12/2004

AUQ (ko3sport turbo) - 01/09/2002 - 31/12/2004

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This should also help you out Dale....

AGU (ko3 turbo) - 01/01/1997 - 01/01/2000

ARZ (ko3 turbo) - 01/01/2000 - 31/12/2000

AUM (ko3sport turbo) - 01/01/2000 - 31/12/2004

AUQ (ko3sport turbo) - 01/09/2002 - 31/12/2004

Cheers dibs350

Would I be able to achieve the same figures as you???

Dale

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hard to say to be honest bud, every car is going to re-map slightly different, there are alot of factors which will determine how it turns out like engine wear, how well its been looked after, if it was run in properly, whether its been ragged all its life, which fuel its using..... etc, etc.

Basically you just have to hope you get a well looked after one, i got lucky, i bought mine off of a couple in their 50's who have been GTi enthusiasts since the MK1 came out, it had been spoilt rotten, minimal miles on it, they said it had never even seen a jetwash as they only ever hand cleaned it!

Just get yourself a decent AUM if you can afford it and you cant go far wrong really! If you get an AGU or ARZ, although just as good, you will be wanting a KO3s 6 months down the line!

Ryan.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thats strange. Ive had an 1.8T AUM for about 18 months and always assumed that it had the standard KO3 turbo? Am i wrong in thinking this now? Sorry to jump on thread but im just as confused as your are! 

·
Registered
738 Posts
Awesome stuff! Had it Revo'd about 6 months ago and its been mental ever since! getting it rolling road'd at weekend when have the DP/Cat fitted so should be good! Looking at my sig what you reckon?!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts