Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Discussion starter · #63 ·
taken from DD

pirelli golf is 230hp standard. So its only less than -5% down on factory which can be attributed to many factors such as tyre pressures etc... We have dyno tested these 230 TFSI engines before at 220, 232 and 228bhp so some make more, some make less.

a 5% variation on a chassis dyno is acceptable as all any chassis dyno does is estimates flywheel power, if I had it my way we would all use wheel HP figures, far more accurate and reliable in the real world and the figure of choice in the USA but over here everyone wants the flywheel figure as its a higher number.

Whats more important is to use a dyno for comparison testing before and after mods. thats where a Dyno Dynamics beats any other dyno, its repeatability is unrivalled.

Aren't forums great he he

gtimk4180:

You'll have to put some pressure on getting will along, he keeps chickening out every RR day there is, think he's worried in case he gets crap figures, I'm curious to see if he can get the 230 bhp he keeps quoting in the mags!

Will probably lowered it especially for the day, strapped some metal bar to the chassis and let all the air out of his tyres!

Right here's how it is boys, my car was mapped at Jabba over 6 years ago and made 211bhp with standad exhaust and fillter, since then its had a Blueflame cat back exhaust and a Jabba induction kit fitted so could be around 220 if its lucky, iv never said it had 230bhp "DOM" dont believe all ya read in GOLF PLUS of all places.. This PDtuning rollin road day was the first rollin road day iv ever had the chance of attending so where ya get i keep chickenin out of them from is beyond me... my car runs this low all year round and would be lower if if the KW's would allow.. Im not bothered if it go's on the rollers or not as i think its what the cars actually go like on the road that counts.. I had a bit play with borachris on the way up there on sunday and there was nowt in it and his made over 190bhp so if the figure's are down then mine should be around the 210/220 mark...

It has got me thinkin though,, wtf do i do when chris gets the oil burner mapped lol
LOL

Quality response there mate[:DD]

I can confirm he couldn't shake me off on the way up, I'd expect Wills to be putting out a bit more BHP than mine, I've just got a healthy dollop of torque on top of his.

As for when I get it mapped mate, You move the fc uk over [:p]

I've just read the thread now

I think this is a pointless thread,

you can argue all day about dyno etc.

3/4 gear does matter, pointless going into one

I know BoraChris Bora is quick because we kept up with Will.

At the end of the day its how the car drive on the road,

Aren't forums great he he

gtimk4180:

You'll have to put some pressure on getting will along, he keeps chickening out every RR day there is, think he's worried in case he gets crap figures, I'm curious to see if he can get the 230 bhp he keeps quoting in the mags!

Will probably lowered it especially for the day, strapped some metal bar to the chassis and let all the air out of his tyres!

Right here's how it is boys, my car was mapped at Jabba over 6 years ago and made 211bhp with standad exhaust and fillter, since then its had a Blueflame cat back exhaust and a Jabba induction kit fitted so could be around 220 if its lucky, iv never said it had 230bhp "DOM" dont believe all ya read in GOLF PLUS of all places.. This PDtuning rollin road day was the first rollin road day iv ever had the chance of attending so where ya get i keep chickenin out of them from is beyond me... my car runs this low all year round and would be lower if if the KW's would allow.. Im not bothered if it go's on the rollers or not as i think its what the cars actually go like on the road that counts.. I had a bit play with borachris on the way up there on sunday and there was nowt in it and his made over 190bhp so if the figure's are down then mine should be around the 210/220 mark...

It has got me thinkin though,, wtf do i do when chris gets the oil burner mapped lol
Will getting ripped by an oil burner. How will you live it down when it happens.

Nice to meet you

went back today for another run with the new MAF and FMIC on, got an extra 1bhp! lol

BUT on the way home I had no boost whatsoever, maxed out at 70mph in 6th.

Found that the nut had fallen off the actuator rod, so dont know if this has caused any lack of performance on my dyno runs. Havent really done any miles since sunday as I've been stuck at home with pig flu!

Discussion starter · #68 ·
went back today for another run with the new MAF and FMIC on, got an extra 1bhp! lol

BUT on the way home I had no boost whatsoever, maxed out at 70mph in 6th.

Found that the nut had fallen off the actuator rod, so dont know if this has caused any lack of performance on my dyno runs. Havent really done any miles since sunday as I've been stuck at home with pig flu!
yep having no boost is a KILLER, i would be pointing my finger towards that, what it feel like with the back on? or have you not got one yet?

Hi All,

As always with dyno days, some cars did well, others very well and some not so well. You will always get cars that make low power, usually the modified cars or cars with 'unknown' remaps, remaps done using self tuning modules, tuning boxes or badly set up cars.

Many cars made standard power that weekend, including the following:

Scirrocco 2.0 tfsi (200 std) made 198bhp
Toledo 1.9 tdi (110 std) made 111bhp
Seat Ibiza 1.9 tdi (130 std) made 131bhp
BMW 530d (193 std) made 189bhp
BMW 330i (231 std) made 228bhp
Dyno accuracy will always be debated, and always by the people that get low figures, however there is usually an underlying problem. Take 2 examples of this on the day I have listed below with an explanation:Rich's R32 had run 412bhp on our dyno before, it was odd that it dropped to around 350hp. But Rich had been playing with, and subsequently lost his bost screw! Rich booked in for a boost setup on Tuesday this week, after 1.5 hours of testing and setting up the actuator it made 416bhp, more torque and far smoother graph than ever before. Was it the dyno at fault? no, it was a matter of low boost caused by owner error..
The 1.8t (blue with grey wheels) had an issue with low power and not holding boost, not making enough boost. It came back to us this week with a new FMIC and AFM. It gained slight BHP but boost was dropping off very quickly after peaking. The owner then finds that he has little/no boost on the drive home. I tell him to check the vac pipe to actuator, he does this nad finds that his actuator holding nut has vibrated loose and actually fallen off! new nut on, back in today for a check and he has gained around 10 bhp and 40+ ft/lb of torque. There is still an issue with the car holding boost, but that is yet to be fully diagnosed. .
The Lupo 1.6 16v on throttle bodies was down in power by around 20bhp. There was no obvious cause, yet the owner has since let us know that cylinders 2+3 are full of oil, whenever oil is present in a cylinder the engine cannot control combustion and fuel burn correctly, this can cause loss of power by as much as 30% as well as a loss of compression. So all in all there was an explanation to the low figures on the cars that have been investigated. Those that have not been looked at but made low power may need further investigation before they blame the dyno. You cant say that a dyno is innacurate based on a few tests on modified cars, how about the ones that were accurate? were they tested any differently? no, all cars on the day were tested , strapped and run in the exact same way.

.As for the claim that you can simply input a correction factor into a dyno dynamics dyno, this simply isnt true. All cars on the day were run in shootout mode, using this mode all dyni operators inputs are locked out and the compensation figure and any corrections are set by the dyno from Intake temperature, ambient temperature, barometric pressure, humidity and ramp rate. All of these figures are printed at the bottom of your graphs. If you have any concerns regarding the accuracy of your dyno run, feel free to send a copy of your graphs directly to dyno dynamics (www.dynodynamics.com) and they will be happy to check the compensation and correction factors compensation figures added to your graphs.

.If anyone isnt happy with the way that there car was run, contact us at sales@pdtuning.com and explain why you werent happy and we will offer you another dyno test or a full refund. Hope this helps,PDtuning

hi everyone,i'm sorry i missed the rr day but had a family death so i couldn't make it.seems like there has been lots to talk about though......lol

it would of been nice to see what a standard gttdi made compared to sum of the high hp'd diesels youre driving

maybe next time ......

went down to awesomegti today. managed to get 227bhp, and 302lf/ft of torque.

Nice improvement and happy with the results. only changes have been an LCR fuel pump, denso lk22 plugs, and a service.

Even the oil burner people would be proud of that torque figure

difference of 25bhp and 27lb/ft of torque over the PD tuning rollers

went down to awesomegti today. managed to get 227bhp, and 302lf/ft of torque.

Nice improvement and happy with the results. only changes have been an LCR fuel pump, denso lk22 plugs, and a service.

Even the oil burner people would be proud of that torque figure

difference of 25bhp and 27lb/ft of torque over the PD tuning rollers
Dom, why did you change the fuel pump?

Paulie got good figures at the AMD R32OC rolling road day as well with his HGP/HPA R32 Turbo

I read somewhere somewhere had boost drop off at higher revs, changed the fuel pump and it was fine. I remebered there was an LCR at VEEDUBS, so got that off gilly and put some densos in and it seemed to run a little better, dont know which one made the difference as I didi them on the same day.

Posted Image

Thats the one I got, you're out of luck unless he got another. My fuel pump might have been dodgy, are you running a stage 2 map, if not wont be needed, shouldnt really be needed for stage 2 to be honest. Diferent rolling roads produce different results. The RR at pd tuning might not have produced enough load at higher rpm, so the ecu detects this and adjusts the engine with reference to loads etc, as mine backed off at higher rpm, or it could have been the engine wasnt getting enough fuel in, or not detecting enough load, who knows, I'm hapy now anyway!

You can use a tt 4 bar pump aswell, but it needs modifying thats all.

Pdtuning will say & do anything to get your money - they are the most unprofessional outfit I have ever come across. I had a stage 2 remap which went wrong - there is no increase in the cars power & the MPG has gone down. When I asked for my "No quibble refund" I was given the run around for a few weeks & then told they dont refund & it was a problem with my car & not their work - something which my local dealership has said they are lieing. They should not be allowed to trade - spread the word.

I mean this in the nicest day possible, but I wouldn't take my petrol grass cutter to PDTuning for anything other than a power run. A few good friends of mine have been ripped off by Dave. One of them had a standalone ECU mapped there - he was puzzled as to why he was only getting 60 miles from £20 of fuel. Hmm, I wonder.

I would sooner travel to Motoscope in Northallerton for any 'tuning' work.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.