Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I want to rip my DVD collection to DivX so I can store them on my PC and watch them with my Xbox Media Centre! I have Shrink DVD and Clone DVD which can strip off subtitles and language support but after that its still taking on average 4-5Gb to backup a movie to ISO or VOB which in turn is knock a big hole in my HDD space!.... I've looked everywhere for a simple DivX rip solution but cant find any???

Any pointers?? Just want to point it at the dvd and click rip to dixx! one solution had you installing 4 or 5 different programes??? all a bit confusing...

Ta

G.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Xbox or Xbox360????
As far as I'm aware the xbox360 cannot play divx, only wmv or mpeg2. There is an application called Transcode360 (i think) that will convert divx etc to wmv on the fly but it needs a meaty pc to do the work.
I'm afraid i can't help you with the ripping part :eek:(
Tom

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
and why exactly would you want to compress dvds to play on xbox when you could just play the full quality film off of the disc on a dvd player???

·
Registered
337 Posts
Geeba says he is running xbox media center (www.xboxmediacenter.com) which acts as a Media Centre (as the name suggests) which not only plays DVD's but almost any video stream/file you can throw at it. It will also play most audio formats too. This can be of either a CD, DVD, or across a network. There are scripts available to stream from places like you-tube, google video, shoutcast etc. It is much better than having just a dvd player.

There are a few links here http://www.doom9.org/software2.htm but I havn't got time to look through them to see if they will do what you want at the moment. It may also be worth looking through the forums on www.doom9.org and the forums on www.xboxmediacenter.com[url] Chris

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
he may well be running xbow media centre and be able to stream all sorts of information but his first sentence mentions ripping a dvd to divx, whihc is a silly idea when you've got a dvd player

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
he may well be running xbox media centre and be able to stream all sorts of information but his first sentence mentions ripping a dvd to divx, which is a silly idea when you've got a dvd player

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why is it a silly idea when you can compress all of your DVD's, store them in one place and then be able to watch them without ever having to go near the DVD again? You will obviously have to sacrifice a little quality but probably not enough to worry about, and you can play around with the compression settings to minimise this.

Chris

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i understand the benefit of having a single repository but its just seems odd to sacrifice qulaity for such a small convenience, i don't find it too much trouble to get a dvd out and use it

plus i find it easier to browse my films when they are in cases on the shelf

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris that exactly it! XBMC is a fantastic tool! And yep it running on an original Xbox not a 360... until that box has been completely hacked as the original one was it cant touch it for media streaming.... dont think I've come across a format it wont play!... and then theres all the other functionality... RSS streams, Google Video, You Tube, live weather, Shoutcast TV, Apple movie trailers, web cam (yes the naughty ones to!)...... heaps more!

The idea is to squash my cd/dvd/pictures collection cough"and a few from the video shop"cough on to HDD and use the Wake On LAN/Power Down On LAN feature on the XBMC and just put the PC I'm using as a server in the loft.... Like you say never go near the DVD player again... all there to choose off the screen with all their artwork and even a cast list and a movie review! when you hire a movie also just pop it in the drive and it rips it ready for FTP transfer up to the server to! If you have an old xbox... MOD IT! believe me! it the dogs! I'm thinking about buyin another its that good for my bedroom! It does HD to! 720 no problem and 1080 in some formats or in all if you do the 128Mb upgrade mod... looking into that at the mo!

But back to the original post.... I need to find a way to DivX my movies [:S] I'm fast approaching half a Terabyte of cd's/dvd's/pics and as I own the original cant see the problem of ripping them.... it will free up some room in the house to as the DVD's will also move to the loft!

ps. if anyone needs pointer for softmodding their Xbox... feel free to shout! doing a few for mates as well now...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutly no quality issues! you could never notice the difference if there is any!..... with the latest versions of xbmc you even get all the dvd functionallity that you would of the original disk... scen s elect, audio, special feture etc.... this is off an ISO, CUE, ZIP, VOB any format that you have your movies stored on remotely! even has USB support upto 4GB so you can watch files from Jump Stick to!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i admit it sounds useful as a system but i have my pc connected directly to my tv so i have no use of it

well unfortunately i don't know of any dvd rippers/divx encoders

good luck, hope you manage to do what you wish

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PC to TV is cool! but if your just using it to stream.... and you have an old xbox...... well all I can say is my PC is now back in the spare room/office..

Few shots.... I'll try to find some better ones...

Posted Image

Music visulizastion is cool! loads to choose from but Milkdrop is the favorite! displays Album cover and artist/title to..

Posted Image

360 skin..... more skins than you can shake a stick at!

Posted Image

Downloads all the movie info to and stores it with the covers!

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geeesssss the guides on Doon9 are about as straight forward as a trip to the moon!! [:(]

No one know of an easier solution?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can rip them! no problem! AnyDVD, DVDDEcripter... Sly Fox takes care of CSS protection... even strips off ads, trailers and the other guff!... I can rip to VOB, ISO, CUE, UDF pretty much anything.... but I want to then go to DivX so one movie takes up 700mb istead of 4.7Gb! [:S]

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can rip them! no problem! AnyDVD, DVDDEcripter... Sly Fox takes care of CSS protection... even strips off ads, trailers and the other guff!... I can rip to VOB, ISO, CUE, UDF pretty much anything.... but I want to then go to DivX so one movie takes up 700mb istead of 4.7Gb! [:S]
Have you tried Vidomi? http://www.vidomi.com/

Chris

Edit. There is a tutorial on www.divx-digest.com I think

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried Vidomi? http://www.vidomi.com/

Chris

Edit. There is a tutorial on www.divx-digest.com I think
Shweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! thanx Chris!! thats the kiddy!! I was trying the regular version of Gordian Knot and getting very confused!!

Much appreciated! I'll keep you posted on how I get on tonight!

G.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No problem, I remember I had done this once for a DVD that I had created from my camera and had a scan through my laptop harddrive to try and find out what I used. Your re-post reminded me to post the name up.

chris

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris/everyone

That is a great bit of software! Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK) just point it at the VOB/DVD files, change a few options and s elect a destination file and its off! You can stack up jobs to as it takes a while click the auto shutdown and it will compress your films and shut the PC down afterwards... so you can leave it running when you go to bed or out etc.... All of Lord Of The Rings now takes up 6Gb instead of 21Gb!

Just got the SMB ripper working correctly on the XBMC to! rips the movies from the Xbox straight to the PC ready for compressing! magic! just need the HD LCD TV now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts