Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking the misses to Dubai at the end of the month.......its gonna be HOT!!!

Been looking at nice restaurants and places where I can take here. Although the plan is just to sit on the beech for a week!

Our anniversary is on the 28th so would like to book a special place to
eat. Was looking at one of the restaurants in the Burj al - arab. VERY
nice but ?800 for a meal for two is kinda out of budget!

Any recommendations from you kind chaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Used to live out there about 2 years ago, so its probably all changed! There are so many good places to go for dinner and plenty of top bars. If your looking for something a bit special, I did have a very nice dinner in the Emirates Towers on the Sheikh Zayed Road. They have a restaurant on the 50th floor over looking Dubai, v nice and a bar above on the 51st think its called Vu?! Might be worth a shout.

Your right though will be very hot out there at this time of year. Where are you staying?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I went for the first time last year and only stayed for 4 days, but found that the best place to eat is usually in the decent hotels. Sheraton had a nice indian restaurant on the 4th floor i think. But most of the decent hotels should have nice restaurants.

Im assuming that you are going to be on jumeirah beach? What hotel are you staying at? I would recommend going to gold souk, you may of heard of it, but the gold shops are just another level! Never seen so much gold in my life in one place![:O] And you must go on a desert safari! They are excellent! They take you out in the afternoon, and in the evening they have barbecue, belly dancers, camel riding, and you can ride on the 4x4 buggies!

Im going in september too! Looking forward to it! Let e know if you source any decent places! [;)]

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was out there last September on Honeymoon. We had afternoon tea at the Burj. I thought it was worth it just for the views, but ?80 for a couple of sandwiches, a bit of cake and a few cups of tea ... well it was honeymoon!!

Gold market is worth it, but be careful of the electronics market, prices aren't really that different. I bought something to try to make money on on eBay and ended up loosing about 10% [:(] Oh and I think they close a 1.00 for a couple of hours so bear that in mind if/when planning your days.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've stayed in the Jumeirah Beach hotel - sister hotel of the Burj. I can highly recommend the Argentinian restaurant on the top floor. Meal with two bottles of wine cost about ?120 as the vino is prohibitively expensive out there. It is still one of the best meals I've ever had - I have beef cubes which were flame grilled and delivered to the table skewered to a sword! The waiter then asked me which liqeur I would like them flambayed in...fabulous! [:D]

The seafood restaurant on the spit opposite the Jumeirah Beach is also superb. We didn't venture away from the resort to be honest as they had such a wide s election of restaurants in the hotel.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
As far as i know, the restaurants in the jumeirah beach hotel are being renovated. Not too sure how true this is. Shops shut from around 1 - 5pm. and a open til around 10pm [:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm off to Dubai in November for the second time. My brother is out there so I get cheap holidays because I bunk on his floor[:D]

There was quite a long thread on here about Dubai but I've just tried looking for it and can't find it[:(]

It truly is an amazing place. So much culture and traditionalism, but also so much modern life too. A must-do is Wild Wadi water park. If you're feeling brave go on the Jumeirah Scarer - the highest water slide outside America!

Last time I went my brother took me to a nice Chinese restaurant called China Times which is in one of the shopping malls. Shopping is fantastic over there too, there are so many malls.

Another good touristy thing to do is the bus tour. You pick up the bus from outside one of the shopping malls (again I forget which one!) and can choose one of two tours. You just hop off the bus at whichever stop you like, do what you want to do and wait for the next bus to come and get back on. The ticket is valid for 24 hours.

Another must-do is one of the desert safaris. You're thrown about in the back of a 4x4 over all the sand dunes. We stopped off at acamel farm too, then ended up at a traditional Bedouin camp where we could go sand-boarding, smoke Shisha, have Henna tattoos and had a bar/BBQ and belly dancing.

If you're taking the girlfriend then make sure you don't go on the public beaches. The Arab men like the pale English skin and will come in groups and just stare. When I went we paid about ?10 a day to use the beach that belongs to the Kempinski Hotel. It's kept really clean and you can use the hotel pool and bar area and don't have the worry of being hassled.

My photos are here:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v632/bluelightbabe/Dubai%202004/

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I didnt stay in Dubai, stayed about 15 mins away from it. There were no bar's where I was, just cocktail bars as there was no alcohol.

I liked it. Person I was with likes to get a feel for the real culture though, not the tourist traps. So did a lot of walking. Did Jemirah beach, did the desert safari, did a tour of Dubai (own tour, not excursion or anything via taxi's). Did the creek. The gold souk I didnt really think much of. Although there was lots of gold there, the fake sellers and people annoying you every 2 seconds just made me want to get out of there, everyone in the shops is calling you in, and then theres people outside the shops tugging on you and stopping you, asking if you would like this fake rolex (at least they admit its fake!) or water, or crisps, even got offered some shoes!

I kept getting told off by the girl I was with though for being too innocent. People over there, as nice as they are, see English / German / Spanish etc etc the same....money buckets and the hard workers on the creek, in the taxi's etc etc will do their best to go a long way round. One minute your going where you asked to go, the next minute your taxi driver has decided he's going to become a tour operator and will take you round the whole of the city to get to your destination. Same on the creek. You do have to say no and mean it, apart from that, didnt really have any problems.

Didnt really do much in the way of eating, but ate some proper persian food in a proper restaurant, doubt many tourists would go there. I thought persian food was rank, especially the salty yoghurt drink, but each to their own, least I tried the proper culture.

Put LOTS of suncream on. I went a few months back and got burnt to a crisp then, ended up going to hospital back here for second degree all upper body burns. The plane ride back is long enough, without having excrutiating sun burn!

We actually spent a lot of time on the hotel beach. Was less people perving on the women there. Jemirach beach is nice though.

I took ?150 spending money. Ended up bring some of their currency back and keeping it as a souvenier. Things are so cheap over there! A half hour taxi ride didnt even cost ?4 in our money.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent stuff guys! Thanks.

Im staying at the Jebel Ali. Its a little outside of Dubai but thats
what we wanted. Somehwhere where we could really chill out. I think its
30mins cab ride away.

The Emerites restaurants and others have mentioned sound really
appealing. Ive been also checking out dubai-eating.com and thats shown
me a few pointers.

Overall Dubai potential things to do -

1. Wild wadi water park (??spelling)

2. Desert Safari

3. Burj - al arab (Afternoon tea!) got to keep the misses happy!

4. Shoping!

5. Go visit the indoor snow place!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
LOL Golfgirl is not wrong.

You will literally end up with a group of men staring at you. They will make it known, they will call their friends and literally just stand there and stare. Bizarre feeling! If your a female, eastern european, american or australian, walking through dubai, or along the creek, especially at aroudn 5pm when the cargo is going out, you got a few hundred eyes looking at you!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Excellent stuff guys! Thanks.

Im staying at the Jebel Ali. Its a little outside of Dubai but thats what we wanted. Somehwhere where we could really chill out. I think its 30mins cab ride away.

The Emerites restaurants and others have mentioned sound really appealing. Ive been also checking out dubai-eating.com and thats shown me a few pointers.

Overall Dubai potential things to do -

1. Wild wadi water park (??spelling)
2. Desert Safari
3. Burj - al arab (Afternoon tea!) got to keep the misses happy!
4. Shoping!
5. Go visit the indoor snow place!
Dude, to chill out, you wanna get yerself to a cafe and order a shisha. Few puff's on that and you won't give a damn about anything!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot, the best meal I've ever had was at a reataurant called Nina's, its in the Royal Mirage hotel on Jumeirah Beach. They call it "a is a colourful new-wave Indo-European dining venue", I call it the best meal ever! There's a couple of nice bars as well in the hotel.

As other have said stick to the top hotels and you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot, the best meal I've ever had was at a reataurant called Nina's, its in the Royal Mirage hotel on Jumeirah Beach. They call it "a is a colourful new-wave Indo-European dining venue", I call it the best meal ever! There's a couple of nice bars as well in the hotel.

http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/flash.html

As other have said stick to the top hotels and you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is the first time that ive came across this thread. I used to live
in Dubai for over 11 years and came back here at the back of 2001 or
something along the lines of that.

The first bit of advice i would give you is.. make sure you are
protected from the sun with suntan lotion etc as its absolutely
roasting this time of year. I used to come back to Scotland at August
every year as that was always the hottest time of the year.

I would recommend going on a Safari as its a great chance to see the
desert and try traditional arabic food including... camel haha. You can
also try smoking Shisha which i was always a great fan of while i
stayed over there. It comes in differant flavours such as Apple,
Strawberry etc and tastes outstanding.

You need to visit Planet Hollywood as it serves great food and has lovely surroundings.

I cant really think of anywhere else at the moment.. if you have anymore questions let me know and i will try my best to reply

Cheers

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Yep! Shisha is definitely a 'must try'!! Its some good stuff! I even managed to bring back a couple of them for my self and friends. [:D]

W36: I didnt have any problems with people trying to pull you into shops [:S] Maybe it was the time of year you went. I did have a couple of people trying to sell fake watches, but a strong NO did the trick![;)]

Can wait to go![<:eek:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts