Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im sure there are plenty of threads about this but i thought ide make a new one!

I test drove a GTI with DSG today. I have to say i didnt like it at all!

For general around town sedate driving its quite nice, its the smoothest automatic you will ever drive!

For putting your foot down its horrible!

1. The paddles for me were a pain in the ass to get to, didnt feel nice at all.

2. kick downs are poo! i was on the motorway doing 70, put my foot down
and suddenly the cars redlining it for 3 seconds before it decides to
change back up again. woulda just stayed in gear myself!

3. dodgy sound when changing up a gear under power. like a low growl/pop sound form the exhaust ?

So its a good automatic but definatly not for the DRIVERS out there.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
First time I have herd a negative really on the DSG. I have never tried one, but wouldnt mind having ago. But i would still probs prefer a manual

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont get me wrong its the best auto ive ever driven. If i really wanted an auto i would get DSG.

The only problem is, everything i have read on DSG seems to suggest its a real alternative to manual, imo its not!

I mean just the kickdown thing put me right off. Doing 70, foot down,
the thing was up into the red for what seems like an eternity before it
switched.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Leave the paddle shifts to Ferraris and Playstation games if you ask
me........ nowt will ever beat the interaction of changing gear
yourself. I can't understand how people will pay the extortionate
amount for the DSG box.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
the noise from the exhaust a possible missfire? any gti will probably do it under heavy load using 95/97ron
I think this is one of the features of the DSG GTI; it 'blips' the throttle when changing gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Think this ones comes down to marmite ........ you love it or hate it. Personally a fan of the concept, fantastic idea and by far the best available but I just can't get on with the flappy paddles! At the end of the day thats what you pay for, best of both worlds, but I just prefer the complete control you get from a manual ........ sound like my Dad here ....... in the old days ......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just had a chat with Simon from REVO who has come back from the States raving about 2.0TFSi DSG Jetta he was tuning over there.

His words were, "Its absolutely awesome! (No, hes not a yank!) Much faster than 6 speed and the REVO code makes the changes much smoother."

Looks like a VW Cup Jetta with DSG might be added into the mix of ideas for 2006?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not a fan of DSG either as a drivers tool, it just takes too much away IMHO. Very clever piece of kit though and great if you like autos.

Also the DSG stick works the wrong way round. All sequencial race systems work as follows; push forward to go down the box, pull back to go up the box.

SMG and Ferraris F1 system are much better, but you still can't beat a manual for true enjoyment.

Flame suite on!

Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only problem I've found is that it's difficult to "left-foot" brake as the pedals are offset to the right (this is on a LHD car).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Only problem I've found is that it's difficult to "left-foot" brake as the pedals are offset to the right (this is on a LHD car).
But how many people actually left foot brake.........unless your a racing driver & every 1/10th of a second counts then yeah but not on normal road use.........

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dont get me wrong its the best auto ive ever driven. If i really wanted an auto i would get DSG.

The only problem is, everything i have read on DSG seems to suggest its a real alternative to manual, imo its not!

I mean just the kickdown thing put me right off. Doing 70, foot down, the thing was up into the red for what seems like an eternity before it switched.
why are you using kick down ??, i have never used kickdown, it is rubbish, you can put you foot flat to the floor without activating the kick down, just don't push VERY hard. If your experinces of DSG invloved kick down then you wasted your time, i had a bmw m3 and like many people had the kick down switch disconnected as it was just as bad. The problem with the bmw was that you didn't have to push very hard to activate it. The golf version requires quite a push to make it kick down. You must have big feet ;-)

During my test drive in a GTtdi DSG i thought the same, the kick down almost ruined it for me too, however when you don't use it DSG is WAY better than manual. I guess the fact that porsche and BMW are both about to launch similar systems means that they are obviously not for drivers then ?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
what exactly is the kickdown supposed to do? Sense that you want to go fast and get the max out of each gear? Seems pointless if you have DSG. Also, can DSGs be used as a standard auto if you are lazy? I am assuming yes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
what exactly is the kickdown supposed to do? Sense that you want to go fast and get the max out of each gear? Seems pointless if you have DSG. Also, can DSGs be used as a standard auto if you are lazy? I am assuming yes.
as soon as you activate kickdown it changes down a gear or two, which is supposed to offer the best power, TBH it is rubbish, it is very jerky and always changes you down to a gear which will set the rpm's at about 5k, so if you keep activating it every time you go to over take anything it is worse than walking !. The key is not to push too hard on the pedal and it never activates, with a box that changes down as fast as dsg there is not need for kickdown as you can do it manually. On the GTI you have to push hard to activate it, to the point that i wouldn't know if it worked on my GTI.

It is very easy to drive without activating it, i have never had a problem, like i said BMW smg owners disconect it, not sure if that is possible with the VW system.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If your going for a thrash your better putting it into tiptronic mode.........i much prefered that as it gives you more control

·
Registered
251 Posts
If your going for a thrash your better putting it into tiptronic mode.........i much prefered that as it gives you more control
By triptronic you mean manual ?, I have been talking about manual mode, i take it the origonal poster also ment the manula mode, in auto mode the box will change down and up as it sees fit, with or without activating the kickdown via the pedal.

In manual mode the box will never kick down if you do not mash you foot to the floor, which makes it the best manual you have ever driven, it does everything a manual does apart from require you to press the clutch and maually move the gear lever, you have exactly the same control of the gears.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when i wanna go fast im used to just pushing my foot to the floor! i
think the marmite reference was correct. its love or hate :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts