Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's thoughts on whether to get a GTI with DSG or a Manual gearbox??

Does anyone know of any plans for a Carbonio CAI for the GTI?

·
Registered
207 Posts
My experience of using the DSG box on an A3 2.0 TDi was amazing, absolutely brilliant.  I only wish I had it on my car!

·
Registered
320 Posts
My sister has DSG on her 2.0 TDI (she got her car same month as me) and I really regret not having it on my GTI.

If I did it again, I would get the DSG. It really is a superb box.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
DSG vs Manual is abit like, Silver vs Black!

I've driven several DSG golfs (R32s and a chipped Diesel) and I think the box is amazing!

Amazing in that u cannot 'feel' the gear changes up or down (only feel it change from 1st to 2nd),

Amazing that under full throttle accelaration, there is no pause in G force as it changes gear.

And after u have driven DSG, it makes BMW's M3 SMG gearbox feel so crude.

Good as the DSG is, for me I still prefer driving Manual if it's gonna be a hot hatch/sports car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There's no denying that the manual box on the GTI (or indeed the R32) is beautiful, very nice, very crisp; but I love my DSG and wouldn't swap it. Sporty, precise, lets you be in control when you want and then be lazy in traffic to boot. Best gearbox I've had the pleasure to use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just to even things up...

I test drove both, and prefered the manual. Basically the DSG box is amazing, smooth, quick, responsive. BUT...

...I found that I ended up driving around town like an f-ing nutter, it just wants to rev and rev and rev, perhaps I'm too much of a pussy but I just didn't feel as in control as I like, there's something nice about changing gear. I've owned a Clio 172 Cup (2 litre Variable Valve Timing) and my major problem with the car was that because of the VVT, you loved every minute between 4500 and 7250 rpm, not always a good thing!

That said, I was 21 at the time and probably had a lot to do with it. The DSG reminded me of that constant desire to plant your right foot. The manual gave me just as many thrills, a better feeling of control and just appealed to me more.

I guess it's personal preference, but added to that the extra ??? (I'd rather have leathers) and the longer build times (or so it seems) my choice was clear.

I'm sure for every 'Manual lover', there are just as many 'DSG Lovers', my advice would be to try both and see which one floats your boat more. I'm sure that I had been in the DSG longer than the 30 mins I had, it would have grown on me and could possibly have swayed my decision.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thats the only problem with dsg in auto mode you find that it will hold the gear sometimes longer than you want leaving you thinking - change gear damn it!  With manual you are the boss!  Still one hell of a box though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
[off topic]

On a separate note, surely the swear filter is being overly aggressive in restricting the colloqial name for a Cat, Moggy or Pu55y?!

When you preview your message, it should at least apply the filter there so you can see if a word like Pu55y needs changing. I would have said "Maybe I'm too wet" - but then again, that could be taken the wrong way too [;)] well, if I were female it might [:$]

·
Registered
55 Posts
When i road tested the GTI before i got it, i tried the DSG and Manual. The manual was great, i didnt feel so incontrol with the DSG. I would guess that with time, i would have got used to DSG. I never have liked auto boxes, i know its not the same as a regular auto. But feel more in control with manual. I recomend that you try before you buy! Its all down to personal choice.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've just test drove the dsg today very nice gearbox I just hope that I don't get board and hope for a manual after 6 months! :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Has anyone heard of any mention of a Carbonio? if so any ideas when???
Awesome GTI are selling them, Part No. AF-IND-CARB-20T Price ?165

As for the DSG I love it and will find it difficult to go back to manual. I take the wife's Lupo GTI out every now and again but really miss the DSG. When you are driving quick down bumpy back roads it's nice being able to hold on the steering wheel with both hands while still changing gears.

Drive it in manual mode and you have total control, a lot of people go for test drives and leave it in "D".

·
Registered
471 Posts
I should mention - I've got one of the first batch of Carbonios on order. Should be with me soon, I'll write up an install and a review maybe when I've fitted it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds like it's DSG for me then :)

Guys just about to order my MkV GTi but I'm a little confused about the standard wheels, I have picked up a price list dated 1st June 2006 and it shows the 18" monza II alloys as standard on the GTI no mention of the 17" monza at all .

Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have that price list as well, but under Additional Items of equipment GTI (over GT) it says

Alloy wheels, four 71/2J x 17 ?Monza? with 225/45 R17 tyres
and anti-theft wheel bolt

·
Registered
28 Posts
when i was looking round at the gti's a test drove the ausi a3 s line with the dsg box and hated every minute of it, felt wrong and not in control,

i went out in my gti and absolutely loved the 6 speed manual box, again like some have mentioned theres just something i like about changing gear myself, its kind of ... rewarding

1 - 20 of 29 Posts