Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm was expecting my new Golf 2.0 GT TDI DSG beginning of Dec.. But just got a call today from the dealership. The factory in Germany that produces the DSG box can't keep up with demand! Any (made to order) cars ordered in the last few weeks that have the DSG Box or Multi Function Steering Wheel will not get built on their planned dates!! & we are given no other dates as yet!
The dealerships have been sent into panic mode! They are obviously worried about cancelled orders... VW have pledged to offer compensation, the dealer will call me in a couple of days to tell me what they're gonna offer me..
A free upgrade to leather would be nice, but i guess i'll be holding my breath for some time for that one! Apparantly it's only one factory in Germany that makes the DSG for all of the VAG cars..! This posting is for those who are thinking about buying a DSG car.. Unless the dealers have them on their forecourts you'll be waiting for some time! Will keep you posted. Ro.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The amount of DSG's that they've had to replace has probably sapped their stock.
Mm haven't heard anyone one on here havein any problems..[:|]
I'd estimate the total number of end users in UK with DSG who are also forum members would be under 15%, and it may be down to a faulty recent batch so reports could be slow in coming through, couple that with predictable fob off stories and non confirmation of problem from stealers and you might agree that just because it isn't reported here doesn't mean it isn't happening :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dodgy dsg in the mkv..Ive heard more problems with the manual box to be honest..But they are only on here and other motor forums..So dont believe everything we here a..Thinks thats what your sayin..[;)]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
opening a can of worms me thinks[;)]

I can only go by my car and my mates car both DSG and both drive very well. No problems at all..

After all there VW's and they never break. I'll get my coat..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer claims it's a supply problem i.e. they can't make them fast enough, obviously he or VW would never let on that there's a problem with the box (that would be suicidal), I'm hoping that my car will get made on time or at worst a couple of weeks delayed. It will be interesting to see what kind of compensation they offer me. I think i did mention this also affects vehicles ordered with the Multifunction Steering Wheel. Same again really.. a supply issue, although mine didn't have this as an option! Am I missing out??

·
Registered
110 Posts
'tis true[:(]

My dealer confirmed that my Nov build GTI is now Jan/Feb build.

Apparently, only R32 and GTI can be ordered with DSG until further notice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The predicted percentage of people taking the DSG option has been
exeded thats all,there are no major technical issues as far as i am
aware,obviously you will get the odd failure but VW manual gearboxes
are hardly great are they?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The omens do not bode well my friends.. The dealer did not call me back today... He obviously has no good news for me. Of course he may just have no news for me.. But i'm taking no news as being bad news. I simply can not, will not wait until next year for a car i ordered in September!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have just received my GTI TDI with DSG yesterday..  I guess I am luck..  I ordered it the last few days on July...  but early sept.the dealer was going to cancel the order and re-order the car with Multi-Fuction steering will paddles for me,,  as VW won't add that optional extra for me...   but they said it will set the date back to Jan/Feb time....

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Very early DSG's have been problematic - i've had close experience of partner's 3.2 TT with unreal issues.....in the end he swapped it for a new one just to get rid.....the new one, however is so so so much better - like chalk and cheese really.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had all but given up.. I'd even booked a test drive of the BMW 1 Series 120d! Then out the blue the VW dealer called me!
I was one of the last customers who would get my car! Anyone else who ordered 2 days after me would have their orders frozen!! With no news of when they would be un-frozen! Wow..!!
Lucky me eh..?
So once again for all those who don't know what's going on:
Anyone ordering a made-to-order Golf MkV with either the DSG Box or the Multifunction Steering Wheel will be given no build date or no indication of lead time! This is due to supply problems with those 2 items. If you go to the showroom & order a standard DSG car & they have it in stock, Grab It.. & love it! As soon as you choose a factory fit option you'll be in trouble!
***Please note - This is information given to me by the dealer i'm buying through - Please check it for yourself for accuracy before placing your order***

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wheres everyone getting thier info about failing DSG boxes? I'bve only heard of one Audi so far. I know there where a few software problems with the DSG box in the TT's though?

But who cares I have it and love, excellant box and not had any problems with mine.

J.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts