Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am specing up my new gti and i wondered what geatboxes to go fore, is there any gain in getting a dsg your comments please

Richard

·
Registered
894 Posts
I know I am stating the obvious but your best bet is to get a good long test drive or several test drives in both manual & DSG versions.

I went for DSG, the gear changes are so quick & silky smooth.

You also have the versatility of using the stick for manual changing if you want or you can use the paddle shifts. If you do a lot of town driving or ' traffic jam' journeys you will find it so easy to 'poodle' in traffic.

DSG does take getting use to and you are always learning new ways of how to get the best out of it the longer you have the car.

Some people prefer manuals as they feel more ' involved ' in the driving and I respect that but you need to make your own judgement with DSG. Its a lot more sophisticated and enjoyable in the GTI than the normal auto-box experience you may have had in other cars.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a manual GTI and my sister a DSG GT TDI. Having driven both extensively...there can only be one winner!!

DSG all the way!!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I know I am stating the obvious but your best bet is to get a good long test drive or several test drives in both manual & DSG versions.

I went for DSG, the gear changes are so quick & silky smooth.

You also have the versatility of using the stick for manual changing if you want or you can use the paddle shifts. If you do a lot of town driving or ' traffic jam' journeys you will find it so easy to 'poodle' in traffic.

DSG does take getting use to and you are always learning new ways of how to get the best out of it the longer you have the car.

Some people prefer manuals as they feel more ' involved ' in the driving and I respect that but you need to make your own judgement with DSG. Its a lot more sophisticated and enjoyable in the GTI than the normal auto-box experience you may have had in other cars.
Agreed wholeheartedly. For me, I don't think I could live without DSG now. I recently was on a long motorway journey in a fairly high-spec performance car with a manual box... but I found myself missing the DSG very badly. Manuals are fun to run around in every once in a while now, but nothing compared to the DSG ;-)

Once you're comfortable with changing the gears in DSG with the paddles, you'll never look back, I'm willing to bet on it. And for that all-out sprint, there's always "S" mode...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Tried both, still a manual fan I am afraid.

I agree with the benfits of DSG, however evern after a fairly lengthy test drive I still desired to be back in a manual - just the way it was for me.

My style of driving on the motorway does not require much shifting so my foot is mostly rested anyway and stuck in 6th.

As said above, do test them yourself then decide. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Having owned both now I can vouch that they are both excellent boxes.

It's a difficult choice and not one to make without trying both options as others have said. I originally had the manual after not being able to find a DSG to test driver (when the MKV had not long been available.). I only test drove a DSG after having the manual for 3-4 months.

After that test drive and a change in circumstances which meant I am now doing more driving in traffic I changed for a DSG and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Having owned both now I can vouch that they are both excellent boxes.

I am now doing more driving in traffic I changed for a DSG and haven't looked back.
That's a very good point, as my journey involves a good deal of motorway, if I drove in traffic, I'd probeblly think differently.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have to agree completely with "med3" and "cmdrfire" and reinforce everything they've said. After having drove manual cars for the whole of my driving lifetime (28 years), the DSG was a completely new experience and it took me about a month to start feeling at ease with the various modes and the paddles. Now I am comfortable with it, I think it's absolutely fantastic. You just can't get any slicker than a DSG box. Well worth the extra money!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello im new round these mk5 gti forums but im in the process of ordering one to replace my mk5 tdi and im happy with everthing ive choosen apart from the gearbox. i did take a dsg gti out the other day but only for about 10 miles and wasnt sure i liked it , after reading the positive comments on here im starting to think that maybe i'll be thinking i should have got it in a couple of months.
was 10 miles enough time to decide considering ive never driven anything but a manual before?
does it lack ultimate involvement when driving hard(ish) compared to a manual?
how come most car mags seem to point you in the way of a manual?
sorry if im kind of repeating questions already asked before , but i need to decide soon as my car is in the que to be built and i kind of have a day or so left to decide?

cheers in advance block

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If you are undecided - go for manual. Its a great box and a lot cheaper than the DSG. Its also 'purer' - its a GTI for goodness sake, do you really need an automatic?

·
Registered
178 Posts
well the price difference thing dosent really bother me as im thinking that come selling time dsg will hold most of its price difference over the manual. and also i do most of my driving in steady 40 mph traffic, with the occasional blast on b roads when it suits.

·
Registered
471 Posts
DSG is not an automatic gearbox. It lacks a torque converter, for one thing - hence why it's called a "Direct Shift Gearbox" and not an "Automatic gearbox".

10 miles is not enough to get to grips with DSG. It is radically different from any other gearbox, manual, semi-automatic, or automatic that you will have tried before. Ferrari's F1 system and BMW's SMG system do not compare.
Initially I was a little sceptical, but having had the DSG for around 32000 miles now, I wouldn't switch to any car that doesn't have one. Put it into manual s elect mode, and it's perfect for hard driving, letting you rev up to 7200RPM and rev down equally hard with s near-instantaneous gearshifts. On the motorway, if you want to overtake, you just hit the down paddle a couple of times, drop straight from 6th into 4th and take off.
DSG also results in a significantly faster 0-62mph, if you're interested in that; check out this video where the GTI with DSG beats the Megane 225, the Astra sport hatch, and an Integra Type-R:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4040#post4040 (Registration required I think).

It takes a couple of weeks to start to get used to the DSG. Once you've mastered it though, you will never look back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
DSG is not an automatic gearbox. It lacks a torque converter, for one thing - hence why it's called a "Direct Shift Gearbox" and not an "Automatic gearbox".

10 miles is not enough to get to grips with DSG. It is radically different from any other gearbox, manual, semi-automatic, or automatic that you will have tried before. Ferrari's F1 system and BMW's SMG system do not compare.
Initially I was a little sceptical, but having had the DSG for around 32000 miles now, I wouldn't switch to any car that doesn't have one. Put it into manual s elect mode, and it's perfect for hard driving, letting you rev up to 7200RPM and rev down equally hard with s near-instantaneous gearshifts. On the motorway, if you want to overtake, you just hit the down paddle a couple of times, drop straight from 6th into 4th and take off.
DSG also results in a significantly faster 0-62mph, if you're interested in that; check out this video where the GTI with DSG beats the Megane 225, the Astra sport hatch, and an Integra Type-R:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4040#post4040 (Registration required I think).

It takes a couple of weeks to start to get used to the DSG. Once you've mastered it though, you will never look back.
the more i read into it , it seems the people who dont like it seem to be those who didnt spec it or those that didnt want to / couldnt afford to pay the extra.
and as for magazine reports they never seem to review out as if they had to live with it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm pretty confident in stating that most GTI owners who opted for the DSG gearbox have almost certainly never looked back. This is no ordinary automatic gearbox and anyone who says that it doesn't involve the driver are talking rubbish - they've probably just had a 10 minute test drive in one without being able to get the most out of it.

With DSG you have;

1.) Fully Automatic - nice n easy, let the car do the work.

2.) Semi-Automatic - ultra smooth, sequential changes but you're in charge - great!!

3.) Paddle-Shift - wanna play at being Schumacher? Go for it!

4.) Sport Mode - Dare you!!!

So, a boring, uninvolving Automatic? Don't think so!!!

If you're undecided and you can afford it, I'd say go for DSG.

·
Registered
471 Posts
the more i read into it , it seems the people who dont like it seem to be those who didnt spec it or those that didnt want to / couldnt afford to pay the extra.
and as for magazine reports they never seem to review out as if they had to live with it!
I think you said it - looking back, I can't recall a single DSG owner who is disappointed with their choice, only manual owners, who, at most, have done nothing more than quick spin with the DSG, claiming that the driving experience isn't as "pure" or some nonsense like that.

Technology evolves; the Mk5 GTI is packed with it, from obvious features like the Turbo to more hidden features (ABS, ESP, the FSI system, tyre pressure monitoring TPM, all sorts of other three-letter-acroynms...). It strikes me that the DSG fits in perfectly with this sort of design ethic; it is, quite simply, the gearbox of the future. There is a reason that Porsche is licensing it and Ferrari are desperately researching their own double-clutch box!

For those seeking a more "pure" driving experience, the GTI is not the way to go, clearly not with all that technology that I've already pointed out - get yourself a Caterham instead!

·
Registered
471 Posts
4.) Sport Mode - Dare you!!!
Ahhh, the "S" mode - whether it stands for Sport, Speed, Shweiss (German for fun), Silliness, Stupidity, or Suicide I shall never know - all I do know is that it makes you go crazy quick*!

*and I do actually mean crazy, lunatic, terrifyingly fast. Enough so that an F430 couldn't get me out of his rearview for the 20-75 sector... when I caught up with him again at the roundabout he gave me the dirtiest look, clearly wasn't pleased that a 25k car kept up with the 140k Ferrari!

·
Registered
177 Posts
*and I do actually mean crazy, lunatic, terrifyingly fast. Enough so that an F430 couldn't get me out of his rearview for the 20-75 sector... when I caught up with him again at the roundabout he gave me the dirtiest look, clearly wasn't pleased that a 25k car kept up with the 140k Ferrari!
I'm yet to have a real opportunity to use the 'S' but looking forward to it. All I know is when I first tried it, it was for about 10 seconds accompanied by a barrage of un-mentionable expletives.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts