Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question.!

what is the best cloth/cham leather to dry off car after washing.?

where from and how much.?

thanks jase...

·
Registered
232 Posts
i found any of the man made ones which are perforated are better then the natural ones, there cheaper too about 3quid or some thing and you should beable to pick them up from halford or any car parts shop
to get the best from them though, have a bucket with hot...ish water and after say a panel refresh the chamois in the bucket and wring it out
always works best for me

i bought a pack of the turtle wax proper ones and was not impressed one bit they were about ?15

hope this helps
Antony

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought one of the Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towels (or whatever it was called) which works pretty well at first but it is damn near impossible to wring it out like a traditional chamois, so once it becomes saturated its pretty much useless.

So now I tend to do what I can with that and then switch over to my AutoGlym AqauDry Chamois. For large areas such as the roof & bonnet I tend to use a HydraFlexi Blade to get rid of the majority of the water, ensuring that after each stroke I wipe it over with a chamois so that no grit/dirt/etc gets caught on the blade and then dragged across the car.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
AutoGlym Blade and Megs Drying Towel. Wouldn't go back to a Chamois.
same technique here, except i use an "unbranded" silicone blade.........

tried the P21s drying towel, and it is rubbish beyond belief. I did a direct comparison test between that and the megs water maget drying towel, the megs towel was SO much better to the point that the megs towel picked up the water the P21s one left behind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
as already mentioned earlier in the thread , synthetic chamois ,perforated , forget blades ,

i used to be a proffessional car valeter! (sort of. lol) working at a
dealer , nobody ever uses blades , real chamois leather are crap also
leave streaks

wash your leather(synthetic) out regular and you will not have any problems

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Turtle Wax blade (soon to be replaced) and Autoglym Aqua Dry for me. Never going back to natural chamois, and I've tried many.

as already mentioned earlier in the thread , synthetic chamois ,perforated , forget blades ,
i used to be a proffessional car valeter! (sort of. lol) working at a dealer , nobody ever uses blades , real chamois leather are crap also leave streaks
I don't think blades are meant as a total replacement for chamois, natural or synthetic, I feel that they're more for quickly displacing water, certainly more efficient than soaking it up by the bucketload only to wring it out again (and your chamois will last longer as a result). Then chamois for the final spots and streaks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Turtle Wax blade (soon to be replaced) and Autoglym Aqua Dry for me. Never going back to natural chamois, and I've tried many.

i
used to be a proffessional car valeter! (sort of. lol) working at a
dealer , nobody ever uses blades , real chamois leather are crap also
leave streaks
I don't think blades are meant as a total replacement for chamois,
natural or synthetic, I feel that they're more for quickly displacing
water, certainly more efficient than soaking it up by the bucketload
only to wring it out again (and your chamois will last longer as a
result). Then chamois for the final spots and streaks.
Shiuming!! [Y]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use an old windscreen wiper and then clean up all the awkward bits with a Meguires Gold Class drying towel. Only bought it a month ago but have used it 3 times and it's awesome. 1000 times better than my knackered old chamois.

·
Registered
126 Posts
to be honest the best for drying is the Pakshak Waffle Weave MF Drying towel it does work like nothing else -I always give mine a quick blade first to jut to remove some of the water-however in 2 weeks I will havw my AG Autorinse stuff so I not even blade .

I tried the AG synthetic and that was rubbish.

I can see a Group buy here for the Waffle Weaves????

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
to be honest the best for drying is the Pakshak Waffle Weave MF Drying towel it does work like nothing else -I always give mine a quick blade first to jut to remove some of the water-however in 2 weeks I will havw my AG Autorinse stuff so I not even blade .

I tried the AG synthetic and that was rubbish.

I can see a Group buy here for the Waffle Weaves????
[Y]

leave it with me.......its possible.....

magic......... http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/507151/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use an old windscreen wiper and then clean up all the awkward bits with a Meguires Gold Class drying towel. Only bought it a month ago but have used it 3 times and it's awesome. 1000 times better than my knackered old chamois.
Be very very carful using the old wiper blade, as it is not nearly as flexible or a safe to use as a proper Hydra Flexi Water Blade...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts