Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything special about the blades you buy specifically for drying cars? I have been using the following window drying blade on my paintwork:

Posted Image

Is this likely to scratch my car any more than a specific one you buy? Is it just that they are bigger? I have noticed some very fine scratches in the direction I use this blade to dry my car [:S]

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a blade from halfrauds and have notiticed lines on the car , so hardly ever use it, I think it is a case of technique, I suppose I was over enthusiasticwith it....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the hydra blades are made of medical grade silicone which makes them softer, more flexible and less likely to cause scratches. In fact they will only scratch if dirt becomes trapped between them and the paint so it's advisable to wipe the blade with a cloth after each pass.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I think the hydra blades are made of medical grade silicone which makes them softer, more flexible and less likely to cause scratches. In fact they will only scratch if dirt becomes trapped between them and the paint so it's advisable to wipe the blade with a cloth after each pass.
Spot On.

It needs to be a soft medical grade spec blade, one which will follow the lines & bends of the bodywork .

Cheap ones just tend to be made of a soft rubber/plastic, so avoid them.

Ones from AG, KENT or the one Serious P sell are the ones to get. [Y]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Is there anything special about the blades you buy specifically for drying cars? I have been using the following window drying blade on my paintwork:

Posted Image

Is this likely to scratch my car any more than a specific one you buy? Is it just that they are bigger? I have noticed some very fine scratches in the direction I use this blade to dry my car [:S]
[:O].......throw that away immediatly!!!!! (or definitly dont use it on the paintwork!!!!)

drying blades are medical grade silicon, and, unless you get dirt under them, they WILL NOT scratch the vehicle, but that one you're using will scratch as soon as it sniffs the paint work.....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lucky I posted then! Didn't realise I was doing any harm with it... I certainly won't be using that! Is the turtle wax blade any good?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I like the turtle wax blade as thats the one i use, i always give it a
clean before using it tho with hot water to clean any dirt of it and
make it more flexible, this cuts down the drying time by loads, also i
have not seen any faint scratches left by it so im pretty happy with it.

Sat

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a Turtlewax blade but don't use it any more as it is no were near as good as the Autoglum one that I tried and then replaced it with

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Simon wrote:

Theres a new autoglym one looks well flexy, its red and you can even bend the handle to help with the curves
Where can you get that from?

Halfords have in stock.
I bought one to try out Friday.

Its ok, but the flexy handle is a bit of a handful (sorry).

I used it on the golf & didnt really notcie it to be any better than the Kent one I already have, but when drying her corsa it was much better, maybe down to the curves of the body lines ???

2p

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
personally i think you get used to a certain blade, and the way to use it, and indeed hold it.

and you get better at using over time.

i think its a bit of a technique to be honest, be one thats relevant to the blade you are using, and indeed the car, and the colour of the car!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Anyone got the Frost Flexi blade (which won the autoexpress test)?
yep i won one on ebay a while ago - ?4.25 delivered - new!!!

cuts down dryin time a treat and doesnt leave any anoying water marks on the black car - and its super on windows

its very flexi - but i wish it was a bit shorter really to get to the more akward places - i think they are all generally the same lenght though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts