Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of those 'little' problems with the car.

Put the window down then back up this morning. Only went 1/2 way up then fell down. Great.

My car just went in for it's 50k last week and the guy who was doing it was also cleaning up my bumd up delock attempt by taking the door panel off on the drivers side. While he's there he says, ah your window was on the verge of dropping but i've fixed it in time. No problems. then he's like - 'just wait, your other will go tomorrow as it's sod's law' Couldn't believe it when it went - just what are the chances of that happening.

So it's back with him while he takes the panel of the drivers side doot to fix it.

He also tells me that the newer golfs have metal clips inside the door to hold the window and my age of car has crappy plastic things that disintegrate. Another quality bit of engineering from my 'well built' VW.[V]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
ahhh yes, I think we've all experienced this one! not annoying in any way, no - good job VW, nice cheap plastic clips rather than the more reliable metal. As I say, well done, good work. [:I]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just seems another essential part on the car that has been compromised with cheap cost saving solution by VW?

Must admit, after the 'niggly' problems with this car, i'm definately going to think twice before buying another VW. I know plenty people (as everyone does) with Astra's etc. who have zero problems with their car. Yeah, OK, you may argue that the built quality ain't the same, but looks like the proof is out there these day's?

Think VW have relied on rep for too long now and other car makers have got up/gone beyong to be honest.

I know they have done something about the window problem, but i've never heard of anyone with a 2001 Astra who's window has fallen down!?

Ahhh, love a good rant on a Monday[^]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how the build quality of the Golf IV, new Passat & Polo hold up in the next few years.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ahhhh.. that wonderful feeling when it's midnight, pelting down with rain and your window drops. Marvellous.. thank you wolfsburg.

Got my drivers regs fixed by an extremely generous forum member on sunday, I certainly couldn't have done it myself.. def a two man job to remove all the bits and cables and take the window out etc. But, the best bit, I didn't get robbed blind by a stealer !

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it really does sound stupid when i said to the guy's at work yesterday morning 'got to pop out for a couple of hours, the windows fell out of that Golf i've just bought'. Smirky biff with his BM was there as well - could have slapped him.

Good job it's a VW guy doing this in his own time or the stealer would be helping himself to my wallet again. You're right though Tylerama, he reckons it's a real pain of a job.

Good job it happened when the rain was off yesterday as well and this guy lives local. Sounds a stupid thing to happen but also a common one!?? This guy's charging me a tenner an hour and cost for the parts which is good.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Craig_C on 19/04/2005 10:21:27

Yeah, it really does sound stupid when i said to the guy's at work yesterday morning 'got to pop out for a couple of hours, the windows fell out of that Golf i've just bought'. Smirky biff with his BM was there as well - could have slapped him.

Good job it's a VW guy doing this in his own time or the stealer would be helping himself to my wallet again. You're right though Tylerama, he reckons it's a real pain of a job.

Good job it happened when the rain was off yesterday as well and this guy lives local. Sounds a stupid thing to happen but also a common one!?? This guy's charging me a tenner an hour and cost for the parts which is good.

tenner and hour.. should see you in at about ?50 all said and done then mate. That is a great price.. I was quoted ?150 at the stealers for this ! [:O][:(][V]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha - no such joy mate. The part from VW is ?90 so he charged just over a hundred altogether. The part is about the size of the door card with pulley's and the like on it. He showed me the metal bits which replaced my broken plastic ones. This must be the regulator? I thought the regulator was just a small motor type thing. He said if only one had went he could have drilled a hole somewhere which would be enough to hold it (this is what he did to his), me being me, both were snapped -saw them snapped when he took the door apart. It looks a total mare of job as well - speaker had to come out as well. All sorted now though, I feel much better now that I have the metal clips and it's all worthwhile - NOT !! This is definately the last thing that gets done to this car (who am i kidding??)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not to sound like an bum, but why was the repair kit at ?30-odd not used instead. It has the metal clips and the pulley wire. I bought the repair kit for both sides, only to find out i only needed the drivers side! I now have a spare passenger side repair kit. Normally you only buy one and regret not buying the other at the same time, but it's the other way round for me! VW still end up getting more money from me!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Craig_C on 19/04/2005 13:58:57

Ha - no such joy mate. The part from VW is ?90 so he charged just over a hundred altogether. The part is about the size of the door card with pulley's and the like on it. He showed me the metal bits which replaced my broken plastic ones. This must be the regulator? I thought the regulator was just a small motor type thing. He said if only one had went he could have drilled a hole somewhere which would be enough to hold it (this is what he did to his), me being me, both were snapped -saw them snapped when he took the door apart. It looks a total mare of job as well - speaker had to come out as well. All sorted now though, I feel much better now that I have the metal clips and it's all worthwhile - NOT !! This is definately the last thing that gets done to this car (who am i kidding??)

Hmm it sounds to me like what has happened to you is what someone mentioned last week in another related thread. I think they have replaced the whole unit not just the window clips and the cables.. I think they have done the whole metal plate that the cable and clips are mounted on behind. I took a couple of snaps when I had mine sorted on sunday, will post em up later on. My repair kit was ?29 all in, from my local VW. Two new metal window clips and the cable kit. the metal plate (that you say is about the size of the door card) has the motor mounted doesn't it and the motor turns a white plastic gear through a hole in the plate and thus winds the cable behind it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tyler, yeah, it was the whole lot. Like metal plate with pulley's and motor (I think). Strange cos he's been a good guy in the past and i'm sure he wouldn't have done this if he didn't have to (like a cheaper option). Anyway, just glad it's done as it's reported for 'duck weather' the next couple of day's here - how much fun would that be??

I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else (it will though), it's a real pain when it goes and it will obviously start peing down with the worst rain all year[V]

If your window is going he tells me never to try and force it by holding the button etc (I never, mine didn't give me warning), it's just that it might be OK on one clip until you get to a garage - you'll know if it's going by clues like window only going 1/2 way then all the way down etc. Great how you find out after eh???

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Craig_C on 19/04/2005 14:54:46

Tyler, yeah, it was the whole lot. Like metal plate with pulley's and motor (I think). Strange cos he's been a good guy in the past and i'm sure he wouldn't have done this if he didn't have to (like a cheaper option). Anyway, just glad it's done as it's reported for 'duck weather' the next couple of day's here - how much fun would that be??

I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else (it will though), it's a real pain when it goes and it will obviously start peing down with the worst rain all year[V]

If your window is going he tells me never to try and force it by holding the button etc (I never, mine didn't give me warning), it's just that it might be OK on one clip until you get to a garage - you'll know if it's going by clues like window only going 1/2 way then all the way down etc. Great how you find out after eh???

Maybe he HAD to replace the whole lot.. it might have got damaged. Yeah tell me about it. Mine went as we'd just got out of the car park at Gatwick airport at the end of March.. just got into the car after a four hour flight and "CRACK" right next to me.. (made me jump !) "Uh oh", I thought, "I don't need this now".. it started creaking a day or two later whilst I was at a meet so I taped it up immediately ! I think it prob saved the window dropping.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Quote: posted by curley on 19/04/2005 14:27:56

What clips have i got on my 52 reg Golf then??? Hope it's not the plastic jobs..

I'm pretty sure VW revised the clips for the newer Golfs, so yours should have the metal clips.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I paid about ?30 for my repair kit. Consisting of 2 metal clips and a new cable reel, although they put a cable reel for a 5dr in my 3dr kit! Plonkers

I'm glad it happened in a way, I now know how the door comes part for when I put some sound deadening in there! [:p]

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote: posted by wallacel on 19/04/2005 17:04:53

What clips have i got on my 52 reg Golf then??? Hope it's not the plastic jobs..

I'm pretty sure VW revised the clips for the newer Golfs, so yours should have the metal clips.

What about march '01? Can anyone confirm the date from which metal clips were installed as std?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote: posted by wallacel on 19/04/2005 17:04:53

Cheers matey, hope your right...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts