Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a silly question [:$], but I'd like to spray my front and rear valances to match bumper and was wondering if removing them and driving around without them for a week or so would be a. legal and b. cause any problems with regards to parts not being protected from debris/elements (wiring looms etc).

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Cant see it being a problem tbh.
no you cant!

its illegal. you dont need a valance but the valance hides sharp objects which is an mot failure.

also the valance protects the rad a little.

i would just get hold of a spare pair of valances as they are only really cheap for standard ones.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think you could safely drive around without them for a lot longer, I've never known a car fail it's MOT for being valanceless

·
Registered
589 Posts
Should not be a problem at all, your only driving without them for a week or so anyway and IF you are stopped which i highly doubt unless your local plod have nothing better else to do you just tell them they will be on ASAP.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yea im sure it is but if you hit someone with that part of the bumper its not gonna make a hell of a lot of difference if the valance is on or off as the'll go under the car either way

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
the origional question was it legal? and the answer is no.

i understand the argument of it not causing anymore damage to a person.

but then you could argue that why do i have to do 30mph. because if the drunken idiot didnt fall into the road infront of you then you would not have hit him. crossings are there for a reson.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knowing my luck I'll get pulled over, get given 81 points, banned, jailed and a £60 fine. Best paint them when I don't need to drive for a couple of days [gamer]

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeh, no offence, but you dont even technically need a bumper, as long as you remove any and all sharp edges. Neither the front or rear vallance cover any sharp edges that protrude out further than thier bumper, so not an mot failiure, therefore not illegal!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been driving around without my front valancer for 2 weeks now (spraying it, slacking I know!) no problems with police at all, and that includes going to kenfig meet where there was loads of police waiting at the exit.
Mate had his number plate on the bumper, and it had sliped down so you couldn't see half off the last letter, they give him a ?30 fine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts