Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on heading over to LA week before Xmas for the D1GP All Stars battle (the Brits are going)

Looking at possibly hiring a wee car to get around in as Irwindale is 20 miles outside LA.

Now I've been driving for 12 years in the UK.

Should I stick to public transport over there or have I got nothing to be worried about and just make sure I drive on the "wrong" side.

Any advice appreciated.

Lee

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
on a family holiday out there 3 years ago my step dad drove around la and he found it a nightmare, he did ok thou but la has some of the busyest roads i have ever seen.

we did a nice drive to las vegas thou, straight desert for miles and miles and a white car in la and a yellow bug juice car in vegas

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I drove in New york and from there to conneticut a few weeks back, they are crazy over there lol, i was in the middle lane of a motorway doing about 70mph when 2 cars passed me either side! They have no lane discipline, they undertake etc

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They have no lane discipline, they undertake etc
I thought America didn't have an overtake or undertake distinction?

You can pass a car on either side, there's no law saying you have to pass on the outside and not the inside I don't think.

I could be wrong, but I thought thats how it was over there?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
its not too bad driving over there

may be busy in certain places but physically driving the car is no issue

yeah, the freeway's can be a bit mad

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
They have no lane discipline, they undertake etc
I thought America didn't have an overtake or undertake distinction?

You can pass a car on either side, there's no law saying you have to pass on the outside and not the inside I don't think.

I could be wrong, but I thought thats how it was over there?
They technically do, but its so completely ignored as to be pretty much irrelevent!

Driving in the US is easy as long as you watch your back. Rules to remember are you can turn right on red, MUST stop for every stop sign you see (even when they are pointless), never overtake a school bus even if its stopped, etc. You should be fine. I drove from Washington DC to Toronto last year with no probs. Only thing about driving somwhere like LA is make sure you know where you are headed - dodgy areas are REALLY dodgy. You don't want to end up in Compton in a shiny rent a car screaming ROB ME AND LEAVE ME FOR DEAD...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The traffic in NY was awful, stop start. I asked someone over there what was the story regarding undertaking etc and they told me its illegal but the cops dont give a dam about it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
if you encounter a single lane crossroad, there will be a stop sign (which as mentioned you must stop at) and then whoever pulled up first gets right of way

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've driven over in the states lots of times. It's not that difficult. Compared to a lot of Europe the standard is a lot better. The only thing is they all seem to drive really slowly.

J.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have been to the US about 4 times now and on my last visit I decided that I had got my head around the roads and made a decision that next time I would get a hire car. Luckily, we have always had family that are more than happy to pick us up, drive us about wherever we wanted or they recommended, and drop us back to Newark at stupid o clock in the morning (morning flights are infinately better than evening ones...)

But next time we will be house sitting the pets for family, so could really do with wheels to do our own thing and visit family off of our own back.

The roads seem OK where we go (New Jersey) Miles of straight roads and freeways with jug handles to join other routes. It almost looks a pleasurable way to take in the US. A nice V6 auto SUV would do the job. Most of it is just knowing the customs and laws, and the usual awareness etc.

I wouldnt like to attempt NY, even though I dont think its that bad, but I cant say for other cities. If you had experience of driving in the US then I bet it would be no worse than London!

And make sure you know where you are going. Even NJ and outskirts has some ghettos that you really dont want to drive through, let alone LA. The drive into Staten Island to the ferry can be an eyeopener!

"Excuse me young homies, do you know the way to..." Forget it. Hire a car with sat nav or get a map!

·
Registered
29 Posts
When we went we were told that when you approach a stop sign you should come to a complete stop, then count to 3 seconds before pulling away. Even if it's a wide junction and you can see it's clear before you've even stopped. Seems the police over their target people running stop signs as much as ours target people doing 2mph over a speed limit.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you do hire a car, tick the "luxury" option. In May, I ended up with a Chrysler 300C with the V8 hemi from Dollar rent a car. Was a hoot, and only 3 traffic violations!

p.s. don't rent direct with a hire company, use someone like Holiday Autos and you'll save tonnes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice peeps.

My Agent (via work) is recommending hertz. $100 for the week.

Others have mentioned Dollar.com.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have driven in the states for the last 4 years ( florida ) and not had a single problem yet. If you apply common sense you should be fine.

Jay

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Last time I went out there, was with an ex's family and they hired a 5litre minibus type thing - now that was a laugh - pitty it wasn't Black with a red stripe down side (you crazy fools)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts