Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what i need (and where i might get 'it') to sort my headlights out fro driving on the right in france? is it called a 'headlamp converter'?

tks in advance

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just some stickers but you need the right ones for your lights.

Recently had the pleasure in my R (all day time driving so no headlamp conversion needed).

130+ all the way and almost 150mph at one point.

Naughty but nice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really, no speed cameras? i had a quick search on the web the other day and i thought they had had a crackdown over the last couple of years? just what i could gather from a couple of articles??? never driven over there myself so i've no personal experience.

i had imagined the possibility of speeding fines, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but the scary thing was they reckon they can now confiscate your car if you are doing x amount over the speed limit (think it was 50km/h over the limit . . .)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mnh, your local friendly Halfrauds is the answer, they have self adhesive beam deflectors.

Don't speed, watch out for moving camera cars especially on restricted sections of the autoroute (110kph over twisty bridges for instance). And if youre followed by police bikes, use your cruise control they'll sit on your bumper for miles...

Enjoy the "Aire du whatever" - Grab a coffee and a pain au choc.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 07/03/2005 16:08:45

Remember - NO Speed Camera Detectors!!!!!

Not seen Gatso's etc. But they do setup mobile speed traps. Your as likely to see them in small villages with a 30kph limit as autoroutes and the timing zone is based on average speed. Really difficult to detect as the first trap looks like a blue bollard with a white chevron on it..

Lamentably France isn't as fun for driving as it once was...But it still x000 times better than the UK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Remember - NO Speed Camera Detectors!!!!!

What he means is that it's ILLEGAL to use a detector in France.

There are speed cameras, but generally just where the road conditions dictate, ie a dangerous bend. They are big grey boxes mounted on the ground which face the traffic, quite easy to see with signs beforehand.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Just come back - the web site which has the locations of the cameras on a map is www.viamichelin.com.

Things to take - Bulb kit, Warning triangle and head light beam deflectors - If you're in a snowy area chains can be made compulsory.

Oh yes - and don't even try to take a detector and hide it - there have been stories of smashed units and fines.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I live here now and the police are hot on speeding motorists although we often blast down the autoroutes over a ton ( please note I can drive for 10 miles at 3pm in the afternoon and not see anything)

Detectors are a no no, there is a story of an english guy being caught with one and the gendarme made him drive over it as punishment.

plus dont take pirate cds with you either they are stating that if you cannot produce the original within 24 hrs you will be prosecuted. Apart form that enjoy yourself........;best move I ever made.....and all said and done the french are in general good blokes.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Quote: posted by Vwwwwwing on 15/03/2005 19:43:16

Detectors are a no no, there is a story of an english guy being caught with one and the gendarme made him drive over it as punishment.

plus dont take pirate cds with you either they are stating that if you cannot produce the original within 24 hrs you will be prosecuted.

[:O] Sacre Bleu!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There are speed detectors in france... 99% sure there are some on the A1 to paris.

I was flashed doing 100+ in my dads A6 while away on business. I heard nothing from it, as they cannot procecute non-french [;)] (speed cameras anyway)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 15/03/2005 19:54:33

Quote: posted by Vwwwwwing on 15/03/2005 19:43:16

plus dont take pirate cds with you either they are stating that if you cannot produce the original within 24 hrs you will be prosecuted.

[:O] Sacre Bleu!!

We had one of our van drivers made to do this when I worked at my last company. Dont take detectors or put them in the boot. There are more speed cameras appearing but mainly round main cities.

Generally dont speed too much. I generally drive thru at about 90 without problem, and still get overtaken by alot of cars. Roads are quiet and progress is good. You cant get points but can get fined or even put in prison if serious enough an offence.

Personally I would only stick some black insulating tape on the headlights. If you check Foxy's website I beleive he had a pic of where they need to go. Most foreign cars dont do this when coming here after all. I have left either on or off with no probs. However note that they are currently trialling the obligatory use of dipped beam at all times so perhaps recommend this now.

Posted Image

Above all have a good trip. I want to move back....sick of things over here.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 15/03/2005 20:07:36

.... as they cannot procecute non-french [;)] (speed cameras anyway)...

AFAIK they can, they just don't bother. There is a pan-European agreement with regard to speeding fines from cameras, it's just that the amount of folk caught is so small they simply don't bother 'cos it's too much hassle.

Yet another instance of the Big-Brother EU powers that so many don't really know about and don't understand how this proposed constitution will really affect us......

·
Banned
774 Posts
I live part time in France and have never heard of this "pirate CD" harrasment.

I can't see how they can enforce it for a start, I've downloaded a fair few MP3's of CD's and vinyl I've already got in order to save me the hassle of encoding them from my decks. So I already legally own copies of the recordings in question but the originals reside in the UK. Also how does this law sit with something like an IPOD/Icelink or phatnoise. Sounds like a bit of a non-starter to me but then again the grenouilles are a law unto themselves.

VWUK sell a set of headlamp protectors in the UK with the appropriate areas blanked out. See here on this pic of my car

Posted Image

Probably worthwhile if you visit the mainland often.

They'll screw you for having a detector, fine as well as confiscation and watch it with any devices that look like them (ie GPS based scamera position devices) unless your French is good enough to explain it isn't a detector/jammer.

Also be aware the Douaines (customs) like to stop and hassle foreigners in their endless search for contraband.

I've been done for speeding over here loads of times and so far it only resulted in a Euro 90 fine. Cheap at twice the price, I always pay up with a smile which seems to wind them up.[:D]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
What speed was that for Sammy? I had cruise on 100mph much of the way last week with a couple of 120mph runs - you tend to stay sensible with the family in the car!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Been done for 170kph (around 110mph) on the Autoroute, any faster and it would have been court the next day and confiscation of my driving licence (means jaques sheet over here as I just apply for another in the UK or use my spare-[:D])

Worst was 110kph in a 70kph zone, sounds worse than it was, a dual carriageway (no side roads or pedestriann access) leading to a narrow street of shops. Limit was 90kph but signs reducing limit to 50kph before brow of hill were obsucred by overgrowth. I noticed the guy stood there looking through his binoculars with laser device and broke heavily. Good job I did as he registered me at 110 and I'd been doing 160kph while out accelerating a 147GTA.

He gave me a stern lecture in broken English as when he stopped me I smiled and explained in my best English I didn't speak a single word of French. I smirked a lot through the whole experience as I sat in his van and considered telling him to keep the change from my 100 Euro note but thought perhaps that was pushing it just a bit too much.

Still have a lovely clean licence for the purposes of UK insurance and driving. Don't you just love cross border immunity? Enjoy while it lasts 'cos the Euro constitution is going to put an end to it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got the stick on deflectors from halfrauds. Did a great job for a week in France until it came to getting them off!! The glue stayed on the headlamps and the deflector came off! Took ages and lods of elbow grease to get the glue off in the end...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 16/03/2005 10:22:05

VWUK sell a set of headlamp protectors in the UK with the appropriate areas blanked out. See here on this pic of my car

Any idea's what the part # for these protectors are ? My local stealer cant find headlamp protectors on the computer...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts