Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be teaching people to suck eggs here, but I have just been genuinely surprised.

Did you know that if you drive any 'non car derived' van, the NSL is infact 50mph and not 60 and you are only permitted to do 60mph in a 70mph area?

This covers the VW Caddy and Ford Connect vans also. Been reading over on pepipoo and they are starting to clamp down on this now, with a Ford Transit Connect driver being prosecuted for doing 71 in a 70. Also, various others have had the same in transit vans.

I didnt even know of this law and drove a Transit LWB van up to London, into London and back, thinking sticking at the speed limits I was ok, but obviously not, luckily nothing came through.

But this is just a shout out to those driving transit type vans, transporters, but more importantly, VW Caddy and Transit Connect vans. (Both fall into a category of small goods and not car derived).

Also, is it only me who's surprised at this?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah Graeme, i had heard something about this about a year back iirc and for me as a 'white van man' it is a little worrying as i like to make the most of the Kangoo's 70 horses.....[;)]

My only defence could be that the Kangoo van also has a car version in the Kangoo people carrier, although the van version was released before the car!

Does this also mean that a Kangoo or Berlingo MPV is classed as a 'van derived car' i wonder? [:S]

I can see it all now, i get pulled for doing 59 on a NSL single carriageway and the coppers insist that i give a fingerprint record as per the new law, i protest both the speeding accusation and refuse to provide my prints.... prolly end up on the 10 o clock news! [:mad:]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taken from another forum:

"Speed Limits ? a van over 2.0t and under 3.5t GVW has a national single lane speed limit of 50mph (compared to 60mph for a car) and a duel carriageway limit of 60mph (compared to 70mph for a car). This means that most small vans will have the same limits as a car, however the Ford Connect and VW Caddy both exceed 2.0t GVW and are therefore required to follow the lower speed limits."

and...

"Car speed limits only apply to car derived vans with a Maximum Authorised Mass of under 2000kg."

So, it seems any van with an engine over 2.0 WITH a turbo. OR, with a MAM of over 2000kg.

It seems from reading other forums they didnt used to bother, but now are starting to catch out the people who simply don't know about this rule. My dad has been driving around in a new 2.0T caddy van for a year, he does 70 all the time and 60 on NSL, and he's very proud to stick within the speed limits, little does he know 80% of the time he's been over the speed limits in that particular van.

Basically it seems, certain scamera units are specifically targetting these vans now (real easy money I presume, hitting those that think they are actually doing right), and people in normal transit vans and its a little known law.

Just wanted to make people aware on here, as I certainly wasn't aware.

As for the NSL, you would get done on 57mph and above and on the 70, 68mph and above. I would certainly be shocked, just like those on pepipoo are when I got my NIP! Gotta feel sorry for a Transit connect driver over there, already has 6 points so was keeping within the speed limits, until some scamera decided to use him for the crimbo party fund! Now if i read correctly he's looking at loosing his job as they can't have more than 6 points. All for doing 71mph!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
yep i drive a 2litre jtd 100bhp fiat scudo...

it is a disgrace....

but better than that they are changing the law that as of next year ALL vans over 2.5 tonne gross IE twin wheel mercs and transits will have restrictors fitted to the same speed as wagons IE 56 mph... imagine how clogged the motorways will be then as basically the 2 outside lanes will be 56 mph only.... the numb nuts in the government ruled out making it 62mph so they could overtake more quickly..

get liar Blair and that fat tight scot minge bag out ... they wont be happy till we have 99% taxation and were all in debt to American credit card banks and get fined for defecating at the wrong time of day.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
So why can a 2.8DTi high roof LWB Movano van do over 100mph....

I regularly pootle along at 70mph ish only to get overtaken by Merc Sprinters and the like doing near on 200mph...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So why can a 2.8DTi high roof LWB Movano van do over 100mph....

I regularly pootle along at 70mph ish only to get overtaken by Merc Sprinters and the like doing near on 200mph...
Because in other countries it's not such an issue. Doubt it really was here, but just when I was reading through pepipoo as you do when you got caught picked up on this so thought I would try and find out some more about it. Seems although it used to get passed as they concentrated on cars, now cars are actually wising up, they are using vans maybe and a law which to be honest, not every van driver will know about, especially those in a tansit connect or VW Caddy.

Putting it another way though, if a VW caddy falls into this criteria and is limited to 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways and 50mph on NSL roads, then why not a 4x4, say a landrover, toureg, landcruiser. Doesn't make any sense to me. Mindyou, I won't say too much, they will be imposing it on 4x4's soon I should think in the aid of being 'green'.

Andy, you reckon they will actually push the 56mph thing through? Van's are used for a purpose, to get round and van drivers are more often than not on a timescale anyway. Surely if they did this, people like Royal Mail, DHL etc etc would be hard pushed, therefore needing more vans and drivers to cope with the ever increasing number of packages thanks to internet shopping. In turn, this will just put our prices up again!

If they push 56mph through on the motorways etc, then surely they will push a 40mph NSL through for them aswell? Both go in hand in hand. Therefore clogging up the NSL's even more, causing more overtaking, which we all know, is great for safety! Though remember, the 40mph caddy van is being completely safe by being made by the government to infruriate everyone else behind him!

Don't mind lorries being a bit slower, they can't physically go faster on some NSL roads, but if I continuously got Caddy and Connect vans doing 40mph on a good stretch of 60mph road all the time, would do my nut in.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
In an age of modern technology where vans can easily carry 3 men, and a load, and do 90mph up and down the motorways all day long just as safely as any other vehicle, and they do anyway, why the need for a strict 50/56/60 limit?

Not only is it going to slow industry up, it is going to slow everyone else up. It will mean the 60mph slow lane non commercial noddys will be spending more time in the faster lanes overtaking marginally slower machinery...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In an age of modern technology where vans can easily carry 3 men, and a load, and do 90mph up and down the motorways all day long just as safely as any other vehicle, and they do anyway, why the need for a strict 50/56/60 limit?

Not only is it going to slow industry up, it is going to slow everyone else up. It will mean the 60mph slow lane non commercial noddys will be spending more time in the faster lanes overtaking marginally slower machinery...
Safely though...thats the key. At 56mph we can avoid the toddlers on the M6 who are playing football, or the pedestrians walking to their cars with their shopping. Or maybe the flying pigs that seem to like to swoop down on motorways. Therefore, it will save masses of lives and fatalities will drop, just like we keep getting told, though if you actually do get the figures, fatalities have gone up! A drop to them is 2 less in a year and it's all glory, but they forget the 5 that went up one year.

Anyway, I digress. But yes, 56mph is MUCH safer for a caddy van on a motorway and 70mph is a little bit dangerous. Afterall, brakes and cars are only getting worse in terms of safety and reliability, so in line with that, speed limits should drop.

In all seriousness though, speed limits right across the country are dropping, slowly but surely. ANYWHERE where a road is straight, good, clear views, you will often see a 40mph or 30mph sign, whereas a couple of years back it was probably NSL.

Lanes though, single track ones, which anyone living in a place like Devon will realise are absolutely lethal are still 60mph. Blind bends, not enough room to get 2 cars through, still according to the traffic bods, are safe and signed up as NSL.

But, the key here is, most of them are 'unnamed' roads, therefore accidents here do not count to the figures. The swines then get out of publishing them and can continue catching people on the safe roads. Afterall, a speed camera set at 60mph is going to catch NO ONE on a single file lane. However, this is where a majority of the accidents happen.

I digress again. Argh, I'm on a political slagging rollercoaster today!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
We can only hope that the goons in suits who use millions of pounds of our money to produce these daft concepts will be later tried in th efuture for their crimes against common sense. The penalty for a guilty verdict being death by being dragged the full length of the M25 behind a Transit, at 3 mph, wearing nothing but Swarfega. Live and televised for our entertainment.  

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The real reason to do it is too slow the roads down.. and in three years it will be soo slow all the blind muppets will blindly say yes to road pricing.....

its all a long term scheme to get a yes to road pricing.

Anyone in London will know how traffic lights were adjusted to adversely affect traffic two years before the toll was introduced...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you should say that.

On the M6 last month there was a sign saying 'Congestion, please use Toll Road'. Then a sign stating the prices.

It was congested, because of a load of cones and no one working. So they ask us to pay for the privilige of using a road THEY have decided to charge for! We already paid via road tax!

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is not a wind up is it? I regularly do 70mph in my VW
caddy van.

<o:p></o:p>I wonder if this also covers vans like the Citroen Berlingo
as that is a car as well as a van.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Taken from another forum:

"Speed Limits ? a van over 2.0t and under 3.5t GVW has a national single lane speed limit of 50mph (compared to 60mph for a car) and a duel carriageway limit of 60mph (compared to 70mph for a car). This means that most small vans will have the same limits as a car, however the Ford Connect and VW Caddy both exceed 2.0t GVW and are therefore required to follow the lower speed limits."

and...

"Car speed limits only apply to car derived vans with a Maximum Authorised Mass of under 2000kg."

So, it seems any van with an engine over 2.0 WITH a turbo. OR, with a MAM of over 2000kg.
okay maybe it's because i've had a long week, but the above doesn't make sense. Where does it say anything about engine size? The 2.0t - 3.5t refers to weight doesn't it? As in over 2.0t GVW and under 3.5t GVW. As it is quoted later, "This means that most small vans will have the same limits as a car, however the Ford Connect and VW Caddy both exceed 2.0t GVW and are therefore required to follow the lower speed limits"

Unless I have miss-read something else above or elsewhere, appologies..[:$]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aberdeen, no your probably right. I just read is at a 2.0 turbo, as thats what my head reads it as! Either way, the caddy and connect fall into it.

Spud, no, sorry, it's not a windup, therefore, you could be done for doing 70mph on the motorway, 60 is the maximum speed the law permits you to do and 50 on the NSL (60) roads. [:(]

·
Registered
682 Posts
Seems a bit daft all this,ive got a Transporter T5,and it(like all T5's) is factory fitted with ASR and anti lock brakes. This,along with independant suspension makes the current generation of Transporter and probably the equivalent Ford/Vauxhall/Merc etc are just as safe and handle almost as well as most modern cars. I drive my Transporter the same as i drive my car-it loves bombing along fast A roads and country lanes,and handles/brakes just as good as plenty of cars ive driven. I suspect this is all down to money making and taxing us even more,rather than any kind of safety issue. Looks like we're all going to get shafted again-just for trying to earn a living! Pah,governments! Cheers,Paul

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Am I missing something? 2.0t-3.5t is not the size of the engine. 2.0t is 2.0 metric tonnes. In the context above it is 2.0t GVW (gross vehicle weight).

Vans are generally less well equipped than cars of the same weight (brakes, suspension etc) and have a much higher centre of gravity which is probably why cars of 2 tonnes + are not restricted.

Edit: Wow, I just checked and the Connect van seems to be over 2 tonne! Holy cow, that is heavy for something so small.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Am I missing something? 2.0t-3.5t is not the size of the engine. 2.0t is 2.0 metric tonnes. In the context above it is 2.0t GVW (gross vehicle weight).

Vans are generally less well equipped than cars of the same weight (brakes, suspension etc) and have a much higher centre of gravity which is probably why cars of 2 tonnes + are not restricted.

Edit: Wow, I just checked and the Connect van seems to be over 2 tonne! Holy cow, that is heavy for something so small.
No, I think you're right. Graham read it wrong - see his reply to aberdeengti

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mmmm, strange one... i just got a new transit connect SWB and i still have all the manufacturers brochures and spec sheets etc, now on reading it it would appear that a SWB connect is actually only 1415kg (kerb mass) and has a maximum payload of 825kg, obviously if the van is FULLY loaded to its weight limit then it will be over the 2 ton (2240kg) but empty still comes in at less than a ton and a half!!

What about the likes of BMW X5s and Porsche Cayennes- surely they are way over 2 ton but i wouldn't imagine them getting pulled for 75mph in a 70 zone?

Craig

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mmmm, strange one... i just got a new transit connect SWB and i still have all the manufacturers brochures and spec sheets etc, now on reading it it would appear that a SWB connect is actually only 1415kg (kerb mass) and has a maximum payload of 825kg, obviously if the van is FULLY loaded to its weight limit then it will be over the 2 ton (2240kg) but empty still comes in at less than a ton and a half!!

What about the likes of BMW X5s and Porsche Cayennes- surely they are way over 2 ton but i wouldn't imagine them getting pulled for 75mph in a 70 zone?

Craig
This is what I thought, but I just checked on http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103
and it says ?Cars and motorcycles

(including car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight) 30 60 70 70
mph

<o:p> </o:p>

However, I don?t think the caddy or Connect are classed as car
derived vans so they would fall into the category of ?Goods vehicles (not
exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)? and that is 30 50 60 70 mph.

I am going to double check what the Caddy and Connect are
classed as if they are a car derived vans, if not we are all stuck at the
slower speeds.

Anything over caddy size, for instance a T5 Vivaro or
Transit will fall into the slower speed bracket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts