·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok simple questions...

Is drink driving bad?

Is it stupid?

Does it kill people?

Yes to all above imo.. i cant believe that people stick up for drink drivers. seen here... http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/411160.aspx I mentioned my pal who lost 2 kids walking up the path way at 3 in the afternoon coz of a drink driver. Why on earth do people think there are excuses?? Another pal of mine, went out on the lash 1 night, and got pulled over the afternoon after.. he blew 47. 35 being the limit. He blew 41 on the big tester back at the cop shop and got done for DD. 2 completely different senarios but at the end of the day... they were stupid to get behind the wheel. END OF STORY.

Someone please tell me that im right and not over reacting???

Rant over.. [negative]

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
bang on mate, i got arrested once, blew 37 and was offered a blood test which I passed, however it was the single scariest thing ever to happen to me and it properly taught me a lesson. Id had 2 cans and never even thought about not driving.

Now I dont drive if ive even sniffed a drink

I would have taken my ban if it came, its wrong and it kills people, end of story.

·
Registered
846 Posts
you're absolutely right mate. its pure stupidity to get behind the wheel after you've been drinking. not just for your own sake, if you're caught you're banned, but obviously like you've pointed out, for other people's lives as well.

I'll be honest, I've done it a lot in the past. and drug driving as well. there's no excuse for it, but there's a certain level of arrogance involved when you're in that state of mind. you think "I'll be fine. I won't crash. I wont get pulled by the police". but the facts speak for themselves.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have to agree, I will admit to having drunk a bit and drove afterwards, whether I was over the limit or not I don't know but I realised how much I love driving and while I might drink at weddings it would be a sip at that.

I love driving too much and would never compromise my ability to drive again, having not touched alcohol out of my own choice for over 2 years has meant I've got more cash to spend on fuel. I've also got a few mate's who's dad are HGV drivers and none of them drink, ever, at risk of losing their livelihood they stopped drinking all together and to me my car is just as important to me as my livelihood so I've decided not to drink.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
You're 100% right of course[clap].The only thing that's wrong with our system is being let off a d&d charge because you need to drive for a living and you've got a family to feed.

This is sort of carte blanche for anyone to use knowing they can drink and drive and get away with it.There should be no mitigating circumstances what so ever when found to be over the legal limit.It doesn't matter who you are,how much money you earn or what you do for a living it should be a 100% automatic ban with no conditions at all[cop].

In fact the instant the tests prove you're over the limit,your driving licence details at DVLA should have ths recorded against them immediately and not three months later when it's been to court.

Also I believe that in New Zealand they have to show coloured vehicle defect stickers clearly in their car windows,maybe the same over here for drivers that have had a driving ban for at LEAST a year or more after the ban has been lifted.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
IM GUILTY TO THIS.HAVE DRANK BOTTLE OF VODKA BTETWEEN TWO MATES AND GOT IMN THE CAR AND DROVE.STUPID AND YOUNG AT THE TIME.,LUCKY FOR ME AND OTHER NO BODY WAS HURT BUT NO IM OLDER I REALISE THE RISKS.NOW I HAVE A BOTTLE OF CORONA THEN IM DONE.I HAVE NO SIMPATHY 4 DRINK DRIVERS AS WE ALL KNOW BETTER

·
Registered
234 Posts
My brother was caught drink driving and his world fell apart.

Hit a parked car. banned for 2 years and £450 fine.Lost his job,house,wife in that order.He was very lucky not to be sent to prison.

The DD was on his licence for 10 years so he had 8 years of bad insurance quotes

All this for a couple of pints

The owner of the parked car was already banned and made a claim against my brothers insurance[facepalm]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My friend got banned for drink driving and he told me that it takes 2hrs for 1 unit to leave your blood, he got pulled the next afternoon.

There is no excuse. Hop into a taxi or walk home.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I believe as soon as a beer enter your body no driving i dont hink there should even be a limit of 35 that is too much IMO ! if you drink no car at all!

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
I believe as soon as a beer enter your body no driving i dont hink there should even be a limit of 35 that is too much IMO ! if you drink no car at all!
100% correct,the only safe alcohol-in-the-blood limit should always be a big fat ZERO.Agan as above,if convicted your car is taken away and crushed with no reasons to be let off this happening.

Chris.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I cant see it being long before the limit will be lowered or it will be zero tolerance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Should be zero, my mate was killed by a drink driver and all he got was 5 year ban and 18months inside!!! joke.

Yet we have all been driving the day after and most still too high level in our blood. :( so dont drive till you know for sure your not over limit.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
100% correct,the only safe alcohol-in-the-blood limit should always be a big fat ZERO.Agan as above,if convicted your car is taken away and crushed with no reasons to be let off this happening.
Zero tolerance ftw. I've seen folk who clearly cannot drive and were all over the road, yet they blew between 10 and 20. There is nothing more sickening than having to let them go and worrying about it for the rest of the evening. I usually try and persuade them to leave the car and get a taxi, for their own safety. There's no legal grounds to do this, I just have to use the gift of the gab.

It should be a zero limit in this country - either drink or drive.

·
Jedi
1,452 Posts
As above, if you want a drink then you dont drive a car.

As alcohol has an affect on the bodys system, then why is there a passable limit?

I never understand people that say "Ill just have one, as im driving" why even have one? Just have a coke! Or if you want a drink, then get a taxi!

Zero Tolerance FTW!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
i agree with this, most of the time i tend to prefer the driving and being able to go home as an when i want without forking out loads for a taxi, this has meant that i have pretty much given up drinking for this reason, unless there is somewhere i can stay close by.

it's a lot cheaper and safer this way [:)]

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely right gman there is no excuse and I kno many people that have done it but I never even take my car with me when I know I'll be drinking I leave it at home. I just thought the guy there just wants an opinion on his car not a huuuuge fight
Sorry dude but if the geeza comes on a car forum shouting about the fact hes just got off a DD ban, hes asking for trouble. We all do things we regret but most do not advertise the fact we done them. It IS a judgement thing of course it is. If there was no mention of the fact he was a dohnut then i would of said pretty much what everyone else said. Is he proud he got caught? Does he think its clever? I just dont understand it Lammy thats all... why start a thread telling everyone you crashed your old car cos you were piiissseed? Its like introducing ya self to a load of people and telling them you once beat up your mum, but its ok coz you really regret it.

That was yesterday.. todays a new day and i try not to roll over things that annoy me or you just end up being a stress head! as said, i just dont understand dude. << fancy a drive? [lol-lol] [facepalm]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Id fully support a zero tolerance alcohol limit. Round the pubs where i live a lot of people do it. Some get absolutely battered and drive off home. Nuts really.

Didn't there used to be that thing whereby if you phoned the police if you suspected someone of drink driving, you'd get a 20quid reward or something? They need to bring that back. Make me some monies. If i recall the number would be on a beer mat in the pub.

Another thing to add - did anybody see that Fifth Gear episode of drunk vs tired? The conclusion was that its far more dangerous to be really tired driving than drunk - because you're being so careful when you are drunk.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ive got a Breath tester me and my mates use after a night out, proves its still in your system at half 12 the following day, drink water and wait to be clear :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts