Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "off the line" technique aint perfect......

i'm thinking about running at santa pod on sunday, but feel that with a bad pull away technique it would be pointless......

so....

what hints, tips, and techniques would you impart to assist me, and indeed others thinking of doing similar things?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What do you feel is bad about your current technique?

I've never done the Pod, bit pointless as I'd get nuked, but when I do need to make a fast getaway from the lights, I just remember the bottom line is to progressively apply the power and know/feel the traction limit. Just do it a lot and get a feel for it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i feel that i dont put enough revs in normally, and as a result, i feel that my initial get away is slow, but after that obviously the turbo/revo kicks in and whooshh..

if i do try and put more revs in, i end up wheel spinning, but, as people will say, use less revs and feel the power in...but its all a bit tricky as the DBW seems quite sensitive....hmmmm...perhaps i'm just pants [:'(]

·
Registered
266 Posts
The best advise i can give is be careful on take off, dont give to much revs, and dump the clutch, as you'll leave bits of your car behind lol as its very sticky down there, as has been said before be progressive, dont give it all in first gear or you'll sit there spinning, youve got to find a happy medium with power and traction. But you'll love it down there, once you go down the first time, you'll be queuing straight up again! Its a great day out for a Sunday!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used to drop the clutch at about 5k rpm.

Best times are achieved by treating the mechanicals like the car belongs to someone else. Give it plenty of revs, drop the clutch hard and very fast aggressive changes (make sure the gear box is warm before you even think about doing it).

·
Registered
112 Posts
What car do you have? I have a supercharged MK4 vr6 (us spec) that puts out 290 horse at the wheels. I did the RYWB in jan and it is REALLY easy to over power the track. Plus they use a pro light that does not do the yellows in sequence, they drop all at once, so be on your guard and ready for it. I ran a 13.9, with a semi-wet track. It is a great time, if you don't break anything. My tips, turbo motor, 4500 rpm with NO trac control, to get the Boost cranking, then do not drop but release QUICKLY the clutch and go! Non-turbo, Keep the RPM low, like 2,200, and then SLOWLY relese the clutch to keep traction. Non-turbo keep the trac ON and you should be fine. This is my experiense with both non and turbo'd cars. This is the way that I got the best time. Superchargers are a diffrent beast all together. Just do some runs and play around. It is all about feel and experience. Good [email protected]!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The best advise i can give is be careful on take off, dont give to much revs, and dump the clutch, as you'll leave bits of your car behind lol as its very sticky down there, as has been said before be progressive, dont give it all in first gear or you'll sit there spinning, youve got to find a happy medium with power and traction. But you'll love it down there, once you go down the first time, you'll be queuing straight up again! Its a great day out for a Sunday!
Guy in a Nova at York Dragway did just that - loads of revs and dumped the clutch. Big bang, No go! Commentator - " There's a lot of grip down there son." Not a trace of pity in his voice. Run what ya brung, tow it home. LOL

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
On the 1.8t you need to bring the power upto 2000rpm with a steady throttle and feed the clutch to control the wheelspin dont come on off the throttle use the clutch slip to manage the wheel spin is the best way, trust me it is all in your own abilities.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
turn all elecs off in car first have nothin on , not even radio and turn traction control off

REV Between 2000 - 0000 on pulling to the line with a spinn up get them tyres warmed up nicly ......[;)]

on the line rev between 3500 - 4000 and side step the clutch it takes a couple of goes to perfect the side step but it will pay off

(they put enough glue down to not spin to much at that rev range )

oh and any thing ya can loose from ya boot ....take it all out .....looses some weight from the car

and dont cnage gear till just under the red line ........

get some practice in on this event as il be coming to the next one .........[:p]

p.s. Remember it your car at the end of the day and you know how far to push it

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I used to drop the clutch at about 5k rpm.
I normally start around 3k you need to get some motion going first before you floor it. Even with the added grip at a drag strip dropiing the clutch at 5k is only going to leave you spinning at the lights.

Be prepared to change out of first very quickly, and second won't last long either. After that its just plain sailing. You probably won't even need forth by the time you get to the finish line

·
Registered
558 Posts
I normally start around 3k you need to get some motion going first before you floor it. Even with the added grip at a drag strip dropiing the clutch at 5k is only going to leave you spinning at the lights.

Be prepared to change out of first very quickly, and second won't last long either. After that its just plain sailing. You probably won't even need forth by the time you get to the finish line
Getting motion before flooring it is sympathetic to your mechanics but will waste a good 0.25-0.5 secs.

I was able to drop the clutch at 5k rpm because I was running two clutches with two gear boxes and 4wd. I crossed the line nudging the rev limiter in 4th at around 125mph.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What tyres have you got? i got F1s and they stick big time now i dont get much spinning what so ever in 1st. last time at the pod i had my old tyres and i got loads of spinning and found it hard to get the car moving. Now if i was to go on the pod i could get such a better start. with my new tyres i would only rev up to about 2.5k revs then slowly drop the clutch and progressively put the accelerator down keeping it at around 2.5 - 3k revs then when you get full biting point floor it to 40mph then change to 2nd in a quick progressive motion. last time i had trouble getting to 30mph in 1st on the road now i can drop the clutch without too much spinning its great. oh and stiffen up the dampning if you can it will help give you a better start with less wheel hop and spin.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
oh and any thing ya can loose from ya boot ....take it all out .....looses some weight from the car
Go to toilet before the run, take out spare wheel, empty washer bottle, unscrew aerial, run on reserve, remove battery once car is started... [;)]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts