Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have seen on the forums and people saying that a downpipe and decat will bring gains. But the problem i have is i have 2 lambda sensors as i have the AUM engine. I was wondering if anyone has done this using the spacer as i dont really want to go to stage 2 to program it out.

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Alternatively you could just unbolt the post-cat lambda sensor from the exhaust and cable tie it to the outside of the exhaust or tuck it away somewhere and just buy a bung for the lambda sensor hole. This what alot of skyliner owners do, the second lambda sensor on the AUM isn't necessary, it's purpose is solely to ensure the effective function of the catalytic converter by comparing the readings with the pre-cat lambda.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so take the first sensor out?.... but you say that the second one isnt necessary. ? and is this safe will it run ok ?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I've run a downpipe and decat for over 6 months now with no problems.

The 2nd lambda is in the decat pipe so the engine check light is on (allthough I am getting the sensor mapped out when the car is mapped)

It took a long time for the light to eventually come on.

You do get decent gains with them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think il just get the downpipe and decat fitted with the spacer and see if it runs ok.. the spacer only like 8 quid so cant hurt.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ahh spacer, as in a Blank Plug. Now i catch your drift.

If your has two lambdas, just fit both, it will make no difference anyway.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
No not a blanking plug.

The spacer spaces out the second lambda which sometimes changes the 2nd lambda reading making the engine think the cat is still there. This means 9/10 times an engine light wont come on.

Peter

·
Registered
69 Posts
I made a spacer out of some copper pipe (used on radiators etc)... as quick and cheap fix, made no difference, CEL light still came on. (didnt do this on my car ... if anyone reads i have an AGU).

The general idea of the spacer is it pushes the sensor out meaning its not getting 100% direct flow of the exhaust. so it should be less responsive to high emissions running through the exhaust...

STUPID emissions!!! i dont get why we are cremated here yet the US can drive round 4+ litre fuel guzzling cars and pay bugger all for fuel and have no need for emissions guidelines etc!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts